Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official Felix Hernandez may be a bust thread.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:28 pm

great gretzky wrote:hype is hype, true.

But the hype exists for a reason.

Saying "if he wasn't hyped" is a little silly, because in his case, he was hyped for good reason.

He is still getting lots of k's. For me, I have him as my fifth starter, I'll carry the ratios for a bit.

So said the backers of Carlos E. Hernandez, Edwin Jackson, Casey Fossum, Kris Benson and a host of other sure to be the next comings of Cy Young.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Thu May 04, 2006 7:52 pm

Gotta go with Yanks on this one. Hernandez was drafted waaay too high in fantasy drafts as so many thought he would be a top 10 pitcher this year. I saw several managers drafted Felix as their ace this year, and for this year it was a terrible decision.

At this point if you have Felix, don't drop him and don't trade him. He has no value right now, but he's also too good to just drop and definitely no value in the market. Have him ride the bench and hope he finds his touch come June-July.

Nothing more than a fantasy #4 guy this year, I don't really care what he does from this point on. He's a pitcher on a bad team, and even if he pitches strong from here on out, may only have 12 wins by years end.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Mugrila » Thu May 04, 2006 8:02 pm

pshhh you haters. i think he's under-performing b/c of his nickname. from now on he will be known as "the choosen one." once that catches on he'll be the top pitcher he should be. ;-7

seriously though, if you drafted him as a #1 or 2 pitcher then you got too caught up in the hype. but even still, its only been 1 month. 1 month. if he has a 6+ era near the all star break then you can worry. but until then quit the hatin. :-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
(Past Year: -70)

Postby AT » Thu May 04, 2006 8:08 pm

Yoda wrote:He clearly wasn't ready for this. I think they rushed him a bit in 05 and had everyone excited based on his potential. There is a chance he'll figure it all out but it may take longer than expected. He may be a bust for 06 considering everyone and his monther (except me) had him as a top 10 SP. But not if you are in a keeper league.

:-o #9 on my list. Ahead of Harden and behind Zambrano. At least he's in good company.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -275)

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:49 pm

AT wrote:
Yoda wrote:He clearly wasn't ready for this. I think they rushed him a bit in 05 and had everyone excited based on his potential. There is a chance he'll figure it all out but it may take longer than expected. He may be a bust for 06 considering everyone and his monther (except me) had him as a top 10 SP. But not if you are in a keeper league.

:-o #9 on my list. Ahead of Harden and behind Zambrano. At least he's in good company.

There is a testament to the hitting first strategy if Iever I saw one.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:56 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
AT wrote:

There is a testament to the hitting first strategy if Iever I saw one.

part of your stategy involves not preranking pitchers?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby Smileyman9 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:17 pm

It's the beginning of May and we're already labeling busts.
From a fantasy perspective...if you draft according to the "experts" then you deserved to get burned. I believe the theory on "expert" ranking is that they like to all seem like they've made some huge fantasy revelation, hence ranking safe guys behind high impact guys like Felix. I can't recall where I read it...post on here, article, or book, so I'll call it a theory rather then label it a fact. Even as a theory, it makes sense when it comes down to those who get paid to write articles and books on this stuff.

Anyway, the bust thing...I think it's too early to call real life a bust, but as far as non-keeper managers who drafted him before other viable solid proven talent...yes. But, keep in mind that what he had last year doesn't just disappear into nothingness. He still has a slider that I'm anxious to see after all of the hype that he won't be allowed to throw for a few more seasons I think. Plus, it's not like he isn't striking guys out, I think of him as another Scott Kazmir...only without walking as many batters as he strikes out...
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -16)

Postby Pablo975 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:24 pm

I think it's way too early to call bust. Even though he got roughed up, he still K'd 7, which shows he has the stuff to overcome a bad inning. He just has to harness that stuff on command more.

Lots of young pitchers get roughed up awhile their first year or two in the bigs. Hell, Crash Davis warned Nuke LaLoosh about it for chrissakes! ;-D

AND, most "young" stud prospect pitchers who get knocked around are 22-24 years old. Felix is still 20. He has a lot of time to get settled and learn how to play at this level. Lord knows the M's aren't in a position to have to sweat his mistakes as they suck. They can let him learn on the job.

However, anyone who bought into Felix being a Top 10 SP this year may not have that luxury. I'm in a deep keeper, so I kept him. I'll hang with him, but might bench him against the heavy hitting teams in the league (I didn't today against the Sox though :~( )

In a redraft, I might try to shop him if he has a monster game that gets everyones attention, but in a keeper, keep him. The ceiling is just too high.
"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -20)

Postby brandnew » Thu May 04, 2006 10:22 pm

I agree that he's a bust for this year, WAY overrated. He just wasn't very good in AAA last year. I don't have him on a single team.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Webster11 » Thu May 04, 2006 10:42 pm

brandnew wrote:I agree that he's a bust for this year, WAY overrated. He just wasn't very good in AAA last year. I don't have him on a single team.

He was 9-4 with a 2.25 era and a k/9 over 10 :-?
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers