Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official Felix Hernandez may be a bust thread.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Fri May 05, 2006 3:00 am

Maybe it's like Zambrano, he just doesn't like this cold weather.... Let's face it, a cold hand feels different than a warm hand and that's gotta affect the grip, especially for these Latin American guys used to hot weather.... He's still getting the Ks though, so the arm is there, it's the location that needs work....
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pibb55 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:34 am

Lets look at the upside...

a. hes had communication trouble with his catcher
b. his catcher is used to calling a japanese game (more offspeed)
c. hes still has over 9 K/9
d. he has a .BIPA of .348 which means batters are getting pretty lucky against him

He will adjust and right now is the perfect time to buy him.
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Fri May 05, 2006 4:02 am

Yoda wrote:He clearly wasn't ready for this. I think they rushed him a bit in 05 and had everyone excited based on his potential. There is a chance he'll figure it all out but it may take longer than expected. He may be a bust for 06 considering everyone and his monther (except me) had him as a top 10 SP. But not if you are in a keeper league.

I agree.

People have had unrealistic expectations for him I think. Drafting him as your number 1, even number 2 may have been a stretch.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby tgalv » Fri May 05, 2006 4:41 am

please wait at least till the ASB before breaking out the "bust" tag.

his strikeout rate is encouraging and it seems like some people are completely discounting his phenomenal stretch at the end of the last year. as well as his DESERVED hype as the best pitching prospect in baseball.

just keep him on the bench and hope he turns it around.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:44 am

[quote="tgalv"]please wait at least till the ASB before breaking out the "bust" tag.

his strikeout rate is encouraging and it seems like some people are completely discounting his phenomenal stretch at the end of the last year. as well as his DESERVED hype as the best pitching prospect in baseball.

just keep him on the bench and hope he turns it around.[/quote]

Felix is what, 20? I say he has 6-7 years before he can be labled a bust. :-t
Last edited by Havok1517 on Fri May 05, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby great gretzky » Fri May 05, 2006 9:44 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
great gretzky wrote:hype is hype, true.

But the hype exists for a reason.

Saying "if he wasn't hyped" is a little silly, because in his case, he was hyped for good reason.

He is still getting lots of k's. For me, I have him as my fifth starter, I'll carry the ratios for a bit.

So said the backers of Carlos E. Hernandez, Edwin Jackson, Casey Fossum, Kris Benson and a host of other sure to be the next comings of Cy Young.

Be that as it may, I remember the commentary about felix being different with Felix.

And frankly, if anyone bought into the hype to the degree that they thought Felix was anything but a number two or three, it is not Felix who is the bust, it is the person drafting him.

His stats suck, I think we have established that. But then again, he has had three or so starts. I see a ton of "busts" is we are going by ratios at this point in the season. Zamrbano, Petitte, Sheets, Doug Davis all have atrocious numbers too.

Hype is empty, but it isn't pointless. You still have to capitalize on it. On the other hand, if the hype is deserved, and I would say that it is , considering his performance last year, and considering his k/9 is pretty high this year, I'm thinking the kid turns it around.

But just because some people got ahead of themselves doesn't mean he is a bust or is anything but a quality pitcher.

I just think that anyone depending on essentially a rooki pitcher to carry their team was a tad foolish.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby Laean » Fri May 05, 2006 11:50 am

the hype here was well deserved.

it's only been one month, WAY too soon to be calling anyone a bust. is carlos zambrano a bust? pettitte? sexson? is webb Cy Young this year?

as for the pitchers that were hyped but never panned out, i'm sure there were also a lot of pitchers that were hyped and struggled, but turned out fine.

look at santana in 2004. 5.00+ ERA in both April and May.

and the signs around felix are good. his K rate is even better than last year, he didn't struggle all day vs the sox - he just had one really bad inning before he got into a groove, and as someone pointed out earlier the hitters are getting a little lucky against him.

i think he'll be fine, a fine #2 starter. the only reason for him to not be considered a top #1 starter is due to the low run support and strict pitch count being imposed by the mariners - which added with his bad performance so far has lead to him leaving often in the 5th inning.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby J35J » Fri May 05, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm loving this thread, keep it up!!!

Time to buy low on this guy!! ;-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby brandnew » Fri May 05, 2006 6:01 pm

Webster11 wrote:
brandnew wrote:I agree that he's a bust for this year, WAY overrated. He just wasn't very good in AAA last year. I don't have him on a single team.

He was 9-4 with a 2.25 era and a k/9 over 10 :-?

You conveniently left out the 48 Walks in 88 IP, good for a 1.25 WHIP
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Manfred » Fri May 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Felix will be a top 10 pitcher int he 2nd half of this year. jmho.

Lay off from the shin splint killed his rhythm. He will be fine. His stuff is still devestating.
Manfred
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers