Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk Jason Bay!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Geek » Wed May 10, 2006 2:14 pm

jh2031 wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:See my signature. Bay was overrated going into this year and should have gone much later than he was taken. Lucky batting average last year and at his age last season might be his ceiling.

At his age....that was his ceiling? At 27 or 28? So, I guess that's it for Bay. He should just retire at 28 since he can't do better than last year. Thanks for the laugh. ;-D

Well, pitchers are actually paying attention to him when he's on base, and the SB's magically disappeared. You hasn't even attempted a SB for the better part of a month.

When you don't run, don't hit HR's, and fail miserably with men on base, you're not an elite outfielder. Period.

He's still worth owning, but he doesn't deserve to be considered in the Beltran/Sizemore/Wells class of outfielders. More like a Matt Holliday-type.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jh2031 » Wed May 10, 2006 2:19 pm

Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:See my signature. Bay was overrated going into this year and should have gone much later than he was taken. Lucky batting average last year and at his age last season might be his ceiling.

At his age....that was his ceiling? At 27 or 28? So, I guess that's it for Bay. He should just retire at 28 since he can't do better than last year. Thanks for the laugh. ;-D

Well, pitchers are actually paying attention to him when he's on base, and the SB's magically disappeared. You hasn't even attempted a SB for the better part of a month.

When you don't run, don't hit HR's, and fail miserably with men on base, you're not an elite outfielder. Period.

He's still worth owning, but he doesn't deserve to be considered in the Beltran/Sizemore/Wells class of outfielders. More like a Matt Holliday-type.

Why can't he be considered in the Sizemore class? Bay will hit more HR's and probably more RBI's. And aren't they tied in steals and Bay hasn't even been running that much. I think people overhype Sizemore.

EDIT: Not to mention Bay has been terrible to this point and he has more HR's and 1 less RBI than Sizemore.
Last edited by jh2031 on Wed May 10, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Geek » Wed May 10, 2006 2:24 pm

jh2031 wrote:
Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:

Why can't he be considered in the Sizemore class? Bay will hit more HR's and probably more RBI's. And aren't they tied in steals and Bay hasn't even been running that much. I think people overhype Sizemore.

Sizemore plays in maybe the best lineup in MLB. Bay plays in a AA lineup.

And, Bay isn't lagging in RBI's because he's getting pitched around--it's because makes Alex Rodriguez look like King Clutch.

He's batting .208 with runners on, .200 with RISP, and .000 with RISP and two outs.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jh2031 » Wed May 10, 2006 2:26 pm

Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:

And, Bay isn't lagging in RBI's because he's getting pitched around--it's because makes Alex Rodriguez look like King Clutch.

He's batting .208 with runners on, .200 with RISP, and .000 with RISP and two outs.

You actually expect him to keep hitting .200 with RISP?

AA lineup, huh? Jack Wilson when healthy will hit .300. Jose Bautista and Freddy Sanchez can get on base as well. It's Burnitz that sucks in the lineup. Craig Wilson should be hitting behind Bay but Tracy is an idiot. Remember Casey is out which hurts also.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Geek » Wed May 10, 2006 2:32 pm

jh2031 wrote:
Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:

I expect him to bat about .240 with RISP.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jh2031 » Wed May 10, 2006 2:34 pm

Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Geek wrote:
jh2031 wrote:

I expect him to bat about .240 with RISP.

Ok, We'll talk a little later on in the year.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Wed May 10, 2006 2:52 pm

Bay is 1 HR and 2 SBs from being on a 35-25 pace. Couple flukes here and there and this whole thread would beeven less sensible than it already is (hard to imagine). And a measly hit per week in this short season and he's batting over .300.

Frankly I'm surpised he's hitting .200 with RISP. Why in God's name would you even pitch in the same zip code of home plate to him with that lineup around him? His .400+ OBP reflects this partially.

He won't go 30-30 -- he's batting 4th, for one thing. He won't get the Opps. But he's a helluva player.

The real problem here is that a lot of people drafted him way to high based on a very short track record and have unrealistic expectations. This thread isn't about Bay's performance. It's about people overpaying for him in drafts.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Geek » Wed May 10, 2006 2:56 pm

Of course it's about people overpaying for him in drafts.

There are still people around who think he's a top-10 or top-15 outfielder.

Someone even suggested offering up Vernon Wells for him.

Of course people are going to kvetch when they use a 2nd round pick on a guy who turns out to be a 7th round talent.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pangbones » Wed May 10, 2006 3:10 pm

He never put up big SB's in the minors. He swiped 16 of his 21 Bags last year, AFTER the All Star break. I don't think he'll ever steal 30 bases, he probably could if he wanted to, but I don't see that happening. To say he is a 7th round talent is a JOKE. He will be fine. I'm pretty sure the Pirates sucked just as bad last year, as they do this year, and he ended up with great numbers. I'm not worried at all about him. I just traded for him though, so I haven't had to put up with it yet. :-D
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Geek » Wed May 10, 2006 3:18 pm

pangbones wrote:He never put up big SB's in the minors. He swiped 16 of his 21 Bags last year, AFTER the All Star break. I don't think he'll ever steal 30 bases, he probably could if he wanted to, but I don't see that happening. To say he is a 7th round talent is a JOKE. He will be fine. I'm pretty sure the Pirates sucked just as bad last year, as they do this year, and he ended up with great numbers. I'm not worried at all about him. I just traded for him though, so I haven't had to put up with it yet. :-D

Here are the 6th and 7th round talents, according to ESPN live drafts:

6th:

61. Jeff Kent
62. Marcus Giles
63. Ben Sheets
64. Scott Podsednik
65. Morgan Ensberg
66. Chad Cordero
67. Rich Harden
68. Jason Isringhausen
69. Vernon Wells
70. Troy Glaus
71. Andy Pettite
72. Eric Gagne

7th
73. Trevor Hoffman
74. Jason Varitek
75. Chipper Jones
76. Francisco Cordero
77. Scott Rolen
78. Melvin Mora
79. Mark Buehrle
80. Matt Holliday
81. Hank Blalock
82. Jhonny Peralta
83. Coco Crisp
84. Jim Thome

But, looking at those results, I think it's fairer to call him a late 6th or early 7th round talent
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers