Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk Jason Bay!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby benjapage » Wed May 10, 2006 3:24 pm

i traded delgado to get bay, and i'm totally confident that the latter will outpeform the former.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Wed May 10, 2006 3:30 pm

benjapage wrote:i traded delgado to get bay, and i'm totally confident that the latter will outpeform the former.

b

I wish you were in my league.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby benjapage » Wed May 10, 2006 3:32 pm

Geek wrote:
benjapage wrote:i traded delgado to get bay, and i'm totally confident that the latter will outpeform the former.

b

you say that now, sister. you say that now. B-)

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)

Postby jh2031 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:56 pm

benjapage wrote:
Geek wrote:

b

you say that now, sister. you say that now. B-)

b

Since doing research and realizing Bay is a slow starter...I'm not worried. Like someone said, he had 16 steals AFTER the all-star break...pretty impressive. And the HR's and RBI's will come because he has good hitters in front of him with Duffy and McClouth on the bench for now. I think Bay has run into some tough pitching too...not giving excuses for him though.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tuff_gong » Wed May 10, 2006 4:01 pm

I am trying to not to be too worried, but it seems like even on the days when the Pirates are actually putting up runs, he doesn't do anything then either. :-o I picked him very early in my keeper league draft, I hope it wasn't a mistake...

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pibb55 » Wed May 10, 2006 4:50 pm

This thread is funny, saying that Bay is a dud pretty much....

a. His BABIP is .283, his 2004 was .352 and .354 in 2005, which indicates he is getting unlucky so far.

b. His BB/K is Over 1 (higher than his career avg) which is a good indicator of batting over .300 , and probably surpassing his .306 from last year

c. 16 of his 21 SBs were after the All-Star Break, which might be an indication that he feels more comfrtable to run in the warm weather. We're not looking at a Carl Crawford or Podsednik type player, Stolen Bases will come over the course of the season, not on a weekly basis
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buminabox » Wed May 10, 2006 4:52 pm

I don't know why people classified him as an elite outfielder going into this season. He has pretty good power numbers and all, but he plays in a horrible lineup. I doubt hell steal 20 this year. He is not really fast, and I credit last years SB to pitchers not paying attention to him. IMO he was overhyped in this years drafts, and many better OF were drafted way after him.
buminabox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed May 10, 2006 5:01 pm

While I see pibb55's point about not pushing the panic button, I am of the opinion that Bay was overvalued, and I actually bought into it when I did my drafts.

At my auction I spent $35 on Bay, when I could've had Carlos Lee for about 20 fewer dollars, and even then at the time I thought Lee had a good chance to match or equal Bay in every category except probably batting average. (Same general thing happened with my draft, as Lee went 2-4 rounds later than Bay). I don't know why I didn't go with my gut on that one.

Holliday went in about Round 6 in my draft, and for about $15 as well in my auction, and I think he and Bay are much more comparable than people think. Holliday hasn't had a season with over 30 homers yet, but he's only 26 and that's about when players like him start to see power spikes + his line-up is way more butt-kicking than the Pirates. Obviously the Coors factor plays a big role as well.

Sizemore was overhyped as well, along with Bay. I see them as very similar, 5-tool type players. Sizemore will get you more R & SB while Bay should give you better HR & RBI while they're about even in BA.

Oh well... hopefully I learned my lesson from all this. Bay could turn it around still, but I really do think he should have been projected more as a 3rd-round type player. And like I said, I admit I bought into it.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Geek » Wed May 10, 2006 5:04 pm

So there are two schools of thought:

1) He's an elite outfielder who's just off to a slow start; and

2) He's good, but not as good as people thought he was entering the season, and will never repeat his #'s from 2005.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JMoney » Wed May 10, 2006 5:53 pm

So I traded away Dunn for Bay??? Good, Bad, or Ugly??

C Mauer
1B Thome
2B Utley
3B Wright
SS Reyes
OF Crawford
OF Gomes
OF Holliday
UT Hafner
B Howard
B Bay

SP Halladay