Return to Baseball Leftovers

D-Cab Down! -- Hello Hayden Penn?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D-Cab Down! -- Hello Hayden Penn?

Postby TheBayBergaler » Mon May 15, 2006 6:12 pm

What is the low down on this kid Penn? He could get the call soon with D-Cab down and the rest of the o's rotation struggles...

Is he gonna be good?
Yahoo StatTracker+MLB Extra Innings= Heaven
TheBayBergaler
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: D-Cab Down! -- Hello Hayden Penn?

Postby mikhayl » Mon May 15, 2006 6:16 pm

I posted this the other day and I stand by it...especially the last part:

I'm not one of the minor league gurus on the boards but I know from my Oriole buddies that he's a highly regarded prospect that has made a pretty seamless transition from AA to AAA this season. Based on what he's doing this season it looks like he's ready right now, but I don't know how much of a fantasy contribution he could make.

I know that between his callup last season and today, he's added a curveball which makes him a much better prospect (before he was a fastball/changeup pitcher). He hits 95 with his fastball and his change is his K pitch (he should be a K/IP pitcher if he maxes out his potential). The #2 spot on the O's rotation is his when he's ready to claim it, but I think he'll have growing pains.

Baltimore newspapers are getting on the "call him up" bandwagon and I think it's a matter of time...especially given Chen's and Lopez's complete uselessness.

I don't like the idea of an O's rotation with 4 righties in it though.

GotowarMissAgnes is the guy to get your definitive scouting report from.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon May 15, 2006 6:45 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if they call him up, can't get any worse than second-to-last in team ERA. When Kris Benson is your best pitcher, your pitching staff has problems.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -12)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon May 15, 2006 8:04 pm

They called up Kurt Birkins.

Penn is a solid prospect. Doesn't have the high ceiling of someone like Billingsley, but should be a solid 2/3 guy.

Given that the Orioles have quickly faeed to their usual 4th place finish, I think they'll be content to have Penn continue to work in AAA. If they can get someone like Lopez of Chen to straighten things out, then they can trade them in June/July and bring up Penn. They won't rush him just because someone's not pitching well.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Fri May 19, 2006 11:37 pm

more like Kurt Bubkis.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:54 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:more like Kurt Bubkis.

Thats bubkis andd you know it. JK I've seen Penn listed as the starter as of right now on rototimes and rotoworld says they plan to call him up. You got a link?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat May 20, 2006 12:13 pm

Orioles have not committed to bringing up Penn yet, and I think they will avoid it if they can. If they bring him up now, they almost certainly make him arb-eligible, while if they can hold off for another month or so they will avoid that.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Leiter Fan » Sun May 21, 2006 4:51 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Orioles have not committed to bringing up Penn yet, and I think they will avoid it if they can. If they bring him up now, they almost certainly make him arb-eligible, while if they can hold off for another month or so they will avoid that.

They confirmed he's starting Tuesday againt the Mariners.

Worth dumping Duke for him?
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun May 21, 2006 6:07 pm

Shoulda guessed that if the smart thing to do was leave him down, the O's would do the opposite. He's only 21, so I think if you are willing to live with the uncertainties of young pitchers, grab him. He's decent, but certainly not someone I think you should go crazy over.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby ironman » Mon May 22, 2006 9:37 am

Leiter Fan wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Orioles have not committed to bringing up Penn yet, and I think they will avoid it if they can. If they bring him up now, they almost certainly make him arb-eligible, while if they can hold off for another month or so they will avoid that.

They confirmed he's starting Tuesday againt the Mariners.

Worth dumping Duke for him?

No way you should dump Duke for him.
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -157)

Return to Baseball Leftovers