Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols = A-Rod + Teixeira + Bay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 18, 2006 2:04 am

Geek wrote:
daullaz wrote:I'm also going to go out on a limb and say by the end of the year that the trio of A-Rod, Bay and Tex has more HRs combined than Pujols.

Of course.

But there's a decent chance that Pujols outhomers either Bay and A-Rod or Bay and Tex.

Highly unlikely, as well. I know Pujols is on pace for 80+, but Teix/Bay combined last season for 75 ding dongs, and A-Rod/Bay combined for 80. Meanwhile, Pujols has never hit more than his 2004 total of 46 HR in a single season, so if you want to make some sort of bet, consider me willing.

This from a guy who owns Pujols, but not A-Rod, Bay, or Teixeira (though I'm trying to acquire Bay and/or Teix ;-) )
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Thu May 18, 2006 2:20 am

Using the same analogy Nick Swisher = Manny Ramirez Bobby Abreu and Todd Helton
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Postby PinotResa » Thu May 18, 2006 3:26 am

A Pujols owner in one league I'm in just bet everyone 5$ he hits 80 HR, then tried to talk it down to 75 after everyone immediately accepted.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby josebach » Thu May 18, 2006 9:00 am

PinotResa wrote:A Pujols owner in one league I'm in just bet everyone 5$ he hits 80 HR, then tried to talk it down to 75 after everyone immediately accepted.

How old it this guy, 10?

I'd take the bet at 75. Hell, I'd take the bet at 60.

Pujols just had the best month of his career by hitting 14 home runs. Last year, the most he hit in any given month was 8. He's on pace to hit 8 this month. So lets just say he averages 8 each month for the rest of the year (This equates to about two per week). He'll end up with 54 home runs.

Assuming Pujols isn't changing his swing, this torrid home run pace has to drop off. He's a line-drive hitter with power. He's not a home run hitter. (his words)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chadlincoln » Thu May 18, 2006 9:09 am

daullaz wrote:I'm also going to go out on a limb and say by the end of the year that the trio of A-Rod, Bay and Tex has more HRs combined than Pujols.
;-D
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Geek » Thu May 18, 2006 9:24 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Geek wrote:

Of course.

But there's a decent chance that Pujols outhomers either Bay and A-Rod or Bay and Tex.

Highly unlikely, as well. I know Pujols is on pace for 80+, but Teix/Bay combined last season for 75 ding dongs, and A-Rod/Bay combined for 80. Meanwhile, Pujols has never hit more than his 2004 total of 46 HR in a single season, so if you want to make some sort of bet, consider me willing.

This from a guy who owns Pujols, but not A-Rod, Bay, or Teixeira (though I'm trying to acquire Bay and/or Teix ;-) )

A-Rod will hit 35-40 HR's, and Bay will hit 23-28 HR's. 58-68 HR's is about where a lot of people are projecting Pujols.

Teix I think will still go 40+, because he's streakier than the other two.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Thu May 18, 2006 9:25 am

I thought this was a trade offer someone got or something when I read the title...

I'd say make this deal if you're the one giving Pujols. :-D
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Geek » Thu May 18, 2006 9:33 am

chadlincoln wrote:I thought this was a trade offer someone got or something when I read the title...

I'd say make this deal if you're the one giving Pujols. :-D

It would be an odd team that managed to get A-Rod, Teix, and Bay in the first place.

Though my keeper team has A-Rod, Bay, and Big Papi--and is already out of contention for the year because my offensive stats are so bad. :-P
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 18, 2006 11:53 am

Geek wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Geek wrote:

Of course.

A-Rod will hit 35-40 HR's, and Bay will hit 23-28 HR's. 58-68 HR's is about where a lot of people are projecting Pujols.

A-Rod hasn't hit as few as 35 HRs since 1997, so that projection seems tainted to me... if he hits one less than 40 I'll be downright puzzled, and with previous year HR totals of 48, 36, 47, 57, 52, 41, 42, 42, I imagine he'll eclipse that mark as well. Bay, who has 6 longballs already, has upped his HR total from 26 to 32 in his 2 full Major League seasons, and I imagine he'll actually up (or match) his power total again this season. His power is legitimate, despite his 'slow' start. Teixeira is one of the safest bets in the league at 40+ HR, as well.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Geek » Thu May 18, 2006 12:34 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Geek wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Geek wrote:

Of course.

A-Rod hasn't hit as few as 35 HRs since 1997, so that projection seems tainted to me... if he hits one less than 40 I'll be downright puzzled, and with previous year HR totals of 48, 36, 47, 57, 52, 41, 42, 42, I imagine he'll eclipse that mark as well. Bay, who has 6 longballs already, has upped his HR total from 26 to 32 in his 2 full Major League seasons, and I imagine he'll actually up (or match) his power total again this season. His power is legitimate, despite his 'slow' start. Teixeira is one of the safest bets in the league at 40+ HR, as well.

A-Rod is behind or right at his 2004 pace for HR's and RBI's.

He'll have much less lineup protection this year.
If you project his numbers out, he's headed for his worst fantasy season in a decade. Still great numbers for other people, but he's taken a step backwards. My theory is that mentally the pressure of New York is starting to really hurt his performance. He supposedly got past that stumbling block last year, but he's back to living off of mistake pitches again this year.

I'll be stunned if Bay hits 27 more homeruns this year. I think last year was as good as it'll ever get for him, and expecting 100/100/30/20 from him is unrealistic.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers