Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Oswalt & K's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roy Oswalt & K's

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 18, 2006 8:52 pm

What's up with Roy Oswalt and his severe lack of K's so far this year? He has the lowest K/9 on my 11 man pitching staff - that's crazy! 5.55 on the season, 5.77 over the past month... only 38 K's in 61.2 innings pitched... compared to the same guy who had a 6.85 a year ago, and 7.82 in 2004. Is Big Roy just starting slow, or is there more to it that I'm just not seeing? His K/BB is also down to a 3.17 from over a 3.80 the previous two seasons... maybe he's hiding an injury of some sort? He's had some less than stellar outings against the likes of Washington, San Francisco, and Milwaukee so far this year, and hasn't been outstanding very often...

Any of you boys down in Texas have any inside information, or is patience just a virtue we must continue to exercise here? :-?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Thu May 18, 2006 9:10 pm

IMO he's always been overrated because of his bad K/9
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby colt4523 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:04 am

Because this is the first time I have ever had him on any of my teams :-[
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 19, 2006 12:21 am

wrs, Tavish, raiders_umpire, hybrid, Pogo, GTWMA, etc.... where are you when I need you? :~( :-D

I'm thinking of sending feelers out on what I think I can land for the guy here... somebody talk me in or out of it, please. O:-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Laean » Fri May 19, 2006 2:03 am

i believe his K rate has been going down constantly for the past several seasons in a row. maybe there's nothing wrong with him, and it's just how it is.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby brandnew » Fri May 19, 2006 7:43 pm

bigh0rt wrote:wrs, Tavish, raiders_umpire, hybrid, Pogo, GTWMA, etc.... where are you when I need you? :~( :-D

I'm thinking of sending feelers out on what I think I can land for the guy here... somebody talk me in or out of it, please. O:-)

IMO you should go for it. He's overrated. His WHIP is too high for an elite pitcher, and his K/9 is too low. I've always felt this way about him, I don't have him on any teams. I'd see what you can get for him. I think he's more and more stopped trying to get the K, and just get the out in recent years.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby The Jury » Sat May 20, 2006 10:42 am

brandnew wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:wrs, Tavish, raiders_umpire, hybrid, Pogo, GTWMA, etc.... where are you when I need you? :~( :-D

IMO you should go for it. He's overrated. His WHIP is too high for an elite pitcher, and his K/9 is too low. I've always felt this way about him, I don't have him on any teams. I'd see what you can get for him. I think he's more and more stopped trying to get the K, and just get the out in recent years.

WHIP doesn't mean much anymore now that we have sabermetrics. He doesn't walk many guys. His K/9 is lower than most top tier pitchers, but if he can continue to eat 240 innings, then his totals will still be there by year's end.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Re: Roy Oswalt & K's

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:44 am

bigh0rt wrote:What's up with Roy Oswalt and his severe lack of K's so far this year? He has the lowest K/9 on my 11 man pitching staff - that's crazy! 5.55 on the season, 5.77 over the past month... only 38 K's in 61.2 innings pitched... compared to the same guy who had a 6.85 a year ago, and 7.82 in 2004. Is Big Roy just starting slow, or is there more to it that I'm just not seeing? His K/BB is also down to a 3.17 from over a 3.80 the previous two seasons... maybe he's hiding an injury of some sort? He's had some less than stellar outings against the likes of Washington, San Francisco, and Milwaukee so far this year, and hasn't been outstanding very often...

Any of you boys down in Texas have any inside information, or is patience just a virtue we must continue to exercise here? :-?

wow, that is suprising, dont have roy on any of my teams so havent really seen the numbers.

throw him in with josh beckett this year i guess. :~(
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby Grouperman941 » Sat May 20, 2006 11:30 am

brandnew wrote: I think he's more and more stopped trying to get the K, and just get the out in recent years.

This is what I think, as well.

And we have to look at WHIP a little, since it is a cat, right?

edit: fixed the quotes.
Last edited by Grouperman941 on Sat May 20, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 20, 2006 11:32 am

Grouperman941 wrote:
brandnew wrote:
bigh0rt wrote: I think he's more and more stopped trying to get the K, and just get the out in recent years.

This is what I think, as well.

And we have to look at WHIP a little, since it is a cat, right?

Wins is also a cat, but we all know the general consensus on that as a valuable statistic. ;-) I think WHIP does still carry value, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers