Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cool Verlander videos

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cool Verlander videos

Postby dipset » Sat May 20, 2006 12:16 am

Wow i never saw him throw until i saw these. He is lethal and throws absolute gas. I like the "Verlander Strikeout Reel" where he throws 1 99 in on the hands of COCO.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... _id=434378
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikegp » Sat May 20, 2006 12:34 am

Those are some good videos. Verlander has filthy stuff, but for some reason isn't/didn't get the hype Hamels or Liriano have. My favorite strikeout is when he freezes Mench(i think) with an outside fastball right on the edge of the plate that is 100mph :-°
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Sat May 20, 2006 1:28 am

He has been impressive. I remember reading somwhere that during his time at AAA, when he was on the road one time at a particular stadium, the home team shut off their radar gun because he was dominating the game and the readings were demoralizing the home team.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby johnsamo » Sat May 20, 2006 3:54 am

Good stats, but I'd expect a lot more Ks per inning from such a dominating fastball... Makes me think he doesn't have a great 2nd pitch. If the 100K fastball is all he has, teams will eventually time it. He's also been facing some weak teams lately... Seattle, the Twins twice, Baltimore and the ice cold Angels. The one good team he faced beat him badly. Still, not bad stats and I like that he has low walk rate.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby johnsamo » Sat May 20, 2006 3:58 am

Also, a lot of kids with one great pitch can dominate the first time around the league, but the league can adjust once they spot his tendencies.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sat May 20, 2006 8:27 am

johnsamo wrote:Good stats, but I'd expect a lot more Ks per inning from such a dominating fastball... Makes me think he doesn't have a great 2nd pitch. If the 100K fastball is all he has, teams will eventually time it. He's also been facing some weak teams lately... Seattle, the Twins twice, Baltimore and the ice cold Angels. The one good team he faced beat him badly. Still, not bad stats and I like that he has low walk rate.

Right now he doesn't have a great second pitch, because he has been battling a blister problem on his finger that prevents him from throwing his curveball. Not sure if it affects his changeup or not, which is also lethal. He has 3 great pitches.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby alexward » Sat May 20, 2006 10:35 am

[quote="johnsamo"]Good stats, but I'd expect a lot more Ks per inning from such a dominating fastball... Makes me think he doesn't have a great 2nd pitch. If the 100K fastball is all he has, teams will eventually time it. He's also been facing some weak teams lately... Seattle, the Twins twice, Baltimore and the ice cold Angels. The one good team he faced beat him badly. Still, not bad stats and I like that he has low walk rate.[/quote]

Nope. He's got a quality change and curve. If you look at those strikeout videos you'll see that many of the strikout pitches are changeups.
alexward
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Jury » Sat May 20, 2006 10:35 am

johnsamo wrote:Good stats, but I'd expect a lot more Ks per inning from such a dominating fastball... Makes me think he doesn't have a great 2nd pitch. If the 100K fastball is all he has, teams will eventually time it. He's also been facing some weak teams lately... Seattle, the Twins twice, Baltimore and the ice cold Angels. The one good team he faced beat him badly. Still, not bad stats and I like that he has low walk rate.

You haven't seen that dirty changeup?
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby pitcherintherye » Sat May 20, 2006 7:03 pm

As previous managers have stated, he does have an excellent curve and changeup. However, he also doesn't mind pitching to contact and let the defense give him easy outs, so you'll notice him be in the strike zone more than other power pitchers - much like Roy Oswalt. I dont mind the low K numbers; just as long as that K/BB stays at a good level, he'll be successful.
"I put the 'K' in chaos..."

"but there's no K in chaos"

"oh...figures"
pitcherintherye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnsamo » Sat May 20, 2006 7:41 pm

I wasn't really dissing him. Believe me, I'd take him on my roster in a second. I just expected to see a higher K total for a guy with such a great fastball. It'll be interesting to see how he does over the season and see whether he's as good as the stats say so far, or if he's just had a nice honeymoon facing weak teams and being an unknown entity.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers