Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which pitchers can throw 97+

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Sun May 21, 2006 10:26 pm

gostanford07 wrote:
j24jags wrote:there are probably a few guys on every team who can hit 95 mph, 95 isnt that hard these days

Exactly. Basically every team has at least one starter if not two who can hit 95. Throw in the relievers and you definitely have a few on each team.

I think most pitchers could hit 95 but there's not that many that can consistently throw 95-96 apart from the ones I mentioned and Farnsworth, Verlander, Wagner, Harden, Beckett and Burnett.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Blandest » Sun May 21, 2006 10:29 pm

Yup Penny can throw up to 96 mph, and I've seen Matt Cain go up there as well.
Blandest
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby NZF » Sun May 21, 2006 10:30 pm

Doughhead wrote:
NZF wrote:Daniel Cabrera is late 90's, Bobby Jenks can rev it up to that as well.

C.C, Bonderman, Colon, Joe Nathan, Felix Hernandez, Kazmir, Francisco Cordero, Miguel Batista, Zambrano, Lidge, Gagne, Penny, Turnbow are other pitchers I have seen often throwing 95-96 mph plus.

Really?

I must admit I haven't seen Penny pitch this year but he was regularly up to 97 when he was playing with Florida although he could be relying on his power sinker these days which probably tops out at 92.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gostanford07 » Sun May 21, 2006 10:33 pm

Blandest wrote:Yup Penny can throw up to 96 mph, and I've seen Matt Cain go up there as well.

Cain was hitting 95 and 96 in the 9th today at ~120 pitches. It's not necessarily his cruising speed, but definitly reachable
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -5)

Postby Doughhead » Sun May 21, 2006 10:34 pm

j24jags wrote:
NZF wrote:
gostanford07 wrote:
j24jags wrote:there are probably a few guys on every team who can hit 95 mph, 95 isnt that hard these days

Exactly. Basically every team has at least one starter if not two who can hit 95. Throw in the relievers and you definitely have a few on each team.

I think most pitchers could hit 95 but there's not that many that can consistently throw 95-96 apart from the ones I mentioned and Farnsworth, Verlander, Wagner, Harden, Beckett and Burnett.

Peavy, Oswalt, Johan, Zumaya (this guy hits 101), Lidge (hits 100 sometimes), K-Rod, BJ Ryan, and Jenks all can consistently hit it and thats just off the top of my head

Actually, BJ Ryan doesn't throw that hard. His fastball tops out around 90-91. It just looks like he throws hard because of his delivery and the way he hides the ball. As a Jays fan, I was surprised to see the speed of his pitches (slower than expected--but very nasty!)
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby NZF » Sun May 21, 2006 10:40 pm

Doughhead wrote:
Actually, BJ Ryan doesn't throw that hard. His fastball tops out around 90-91. It just looks like he throws hard because of his delivery and the way he hides the ball. As a Jays fan, I was surprised to see the speed of his pitches (slower than expected--but very nasty!)

That's right, Ryan doesn't often hit 95-96 if ever. Neither does Peavy or Santana for that matter.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dipset » Sun May 21, 2006 11:02 pm

i changed it to 97
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers