Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets get El Duque

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FalcoAtL » Wed May 24, 2006 7:42 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Interesting, maybe this was a salary drop for Ari? Not sure, but they seem to already have asome decent RPs, not sure why this happened unless they have a counter move on the horizon.

Arizona back of the bullpen is really, really strong(one of the best if not the best) with

Valverde
Luis Vizcaino
Brandon Lyon
Brandon Medders
and they have Bruney and former closer Aquino in the minors. Probably just a salary dump for the D Backs.

Actually Bruney was released. I'm much more confident in Lyon than Aquino. I'm kind of confused as to why they sent him down. He just wasn't getting enough time to pitch.

As for this trade, the Mets got the better end no doubt. I'm not sure how long it will be a better deal for them though. This really isn't a huge trade for either team. The Mets have other pitchers that will eventually be able to take El Duque's spot and the Dbacks already have the best bullpen IMO. One thing is for sure though, Julio can be downright nasty and extremely effective at times. I think he has a chance to be a major asset.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 5 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:48 pm

apz wrote:
mikhayl wrote:...Hopefully this means that Jose Lima will never disgrace a Mets uniform again.

Amen brother!

;-D

I like the move. El Duque should like Shea (I believe he has pitched well there in the past...small sample size no doubt).

Remember that Chase Field (former BOB) is a hitter's park.

Good move, Los Mets.
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:50 pm

5 wrote:
apz wrote:
mikhayl wrote:...Hopefully this means that Jose Lima will never disgrace a Mets uniform again.

Amen brother!

;-D

I like the move. El Duque should like Shea (I believe he has pitched well there in the past...small sample size no doubt).

Remember that Chase Field (former BOB) is a hitter's park.

Good move, Los Mets.

Except thea was 6 years ago when El Duque was only 44 (30 in Cuban Years). He has not been very good or durable for quite some time.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 24, 2006 9:08 pm

El Duque's only problem in his stats has been a large number of home runs given up (over 1.5 hr/9 this year). He's striking out over a batter per inning and has a 2.6 k/bb ratio. He's been a very good pitcher other than the longball. A move from Arizona to Shea would be HUGE for him...I think he'll do very well in New York and certainly a LOT better than Lima.

As for the trade the Mets got a legit starting pitcher for a guy that's working as a MR guy right now. That's one hell of a steal any way you cut it.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed May 24, 2006 9:14 pm

First off, that is likely saying he is a good pitcher, just giving up a lot of runs. He is getting hit...pure and simple.

Second, he has a horrible WHIP of 1.6, walking 20 and giving up 52 hits in 45.2 innings. He is simply putting a LOT of runners on base. When you put runners on base you eventually pay the price as his 6.1 ERA can attest to. Shea can only help him, but he is at best a mediocore number 5 starter at his age. And the injury will come. Of course getting a bag of rocks for Julio has to be considered a plus, but that is about as far as it goes.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby suppasonic » Wed May 24, 2006 9:37 pm

I think this post should be entitled "Arizon gets Julio"

His ERA is deceptive. Since his rough start, his ERA is around 2. The K's have been consistent and Rincon could be a great addition to someone doing YMRS.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -85)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 24, 2006 9:41 pm

suppasonic wrote:I think this post should be entitled "Arizon gets Julio"

His ERA is deceptive. Since his rough start, his ERA is around 2. The K's have been consistent and Rincon could be a great addition to someone doing YMRS.

Rincon??? :-?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 24, 2006 10:00 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:First off, that is likely saying he is a good pitcher, just giving up a lot of runs. He is getting hit...pure and simple.

Second, he has a horrible WHIP of 1.6, walking 20 and giving up 52 hits in 45.2 innings. He is simply putting a LOT of runners on base. When you put runners on base you eventually pay the price as his 6.1 ERA can attest to. Shea can only help him, but he is at best a mediocore number 5 starter at his age. And the injury will come. Of course getting a bag of rocks for Julio has to be considered a plus, but that is about as far as it goes.

He has a home run to fly ball ratio of 17.4%. That's grossly inflated and since the pitcher doesn't control that number it will likely regress to about 11%. Adjusting the home runs given up down to around 11% you'd have 5 home runs on the season instead of 8. A pitcher with 45.2ip/52k/20bb/5hr could expect an NL era around 3.46 and a whip around 1.292. I don't think he can necessarily keep up this k/9 rate but I think he can be a serviceable #4/5 guy in a rotation and that's something the Mets simply did not have at this point.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby Philliebuster » Wed May 24, 2006 10:41 pm

I like the deal...El Duque is alot better than sending Gonzalez, Lima , Maine, or Bannister out every five days. Maine and Bannister aren't even close to returning. Rumored the mets may be close to acquiring another arm...possibly to bolster the bullpen, maybe Affeldt from KC.

We all know that El Duque becomes a different pitcher when pitching in NY, but this time it's for the Metro's. Funny, El Duque would have been a great acquisiton for the Yankees as well right now. He's had a couple bad starts this year that have destroyed his ERA, but the rest of his numbers look ok, mix in some NY magic and the loftiness of Shea, and I think we have an sub 4 ERA 11-6 picther that is clutch in the playoffs. Good move.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed May 24, 2006 10:49 pm

Philliebuster wrote:I like the deal...El Duque is alot better than sending Gonzalez, Lima , Maine, or Bannister out every five days. Maine and Bannister aren't even close to returning. Rumored the mets may be close to acquiring another arm...possibly to bolster the bullpen, maybe Affeldt from KC.

We all know that El Duque becomes a different pitcher when pitching in NY, but this time it's for the Metro's. Funny, El Duque would have been a great acquisiton for the Yankees as well right now. He's had a couple bad starts this year that have destroyed his ERA, but the rest of his numbers look ok, mix in some NY magic and the loftiness of Shea, and I think we have an sub 4 ERA 11-6 picther that is clutch in the playoffs. Good move.

Just what we need...another old, over-the-hill, injury-prone, overpaid has-been pitcher. No thanks. We need another RJ/PAvano/Wright like we need another Terrence Long.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers