Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thome may sit at NL parks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:15 am

slomo007 wrote:That's perfect....Konerko starts (most of the time) vs left handers....Thome starts vs right handers.

i think that's exactly what were looking at. who starts will depend on righty-lefty matchups. thome isnt a defensive liabilty. im actually suprised he hasnt played the field so far.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Thu May 25, 2006 12:34 am

My point is the Pirates may well have Maholm, Perez and Duke going in their 3 game set. I can't see Thome playing much in the field, the Sox wouldn't want to risk it, especially with Konerko also hitting so well. There's no doubt he will PH and probably play one game at 1B to rest Konerko but that would be it.

Anyway, it's still a month away and Thome could yet be batting .225 in June when interleague play comes around again ;-) so it won't even be up for discussion.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

Postby slomo007 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:39 am

NZF wrote:Anyway, it's still a month away and Konerko could yet be batting .225 in June when interleague play comes around again ;-) so it won't even be up for discussion.

I agree. :-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby chris_dubyuh » Thu May 25, 2006 12:46 am

slomo007 wrote:
NZF wrote:Anyway, it's still a month away and Konerko could yet be batting .225 in June when interleague play comes around again ;-) so it won't even be up for discussion.

I agree. :-D

Lol. Nice one. Now that I think of it they might not start Thome much in the field because of his previous back injury. Playing in the field diving for a ball could very well aggravate his back and cause it to act up again.
chris_dubyuh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -9)

Postby dyuen87 » Thu May 25, 2006 2:13 am

:-[ He better play at least 5 games or else he loses 1B eligibility. :-o
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby pangbones » Thu May 25, 2006 3:21 am

suppasonic wrote:Well the Sox could just go with two outfielders and have Thome stand idly in far right field.

That might work. ;-D
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:45 am

They would be stupid to bench Thome. One of them has to be able to play a mediocre third base or OF. But if it came down to Thome or Konerko, I think right now its Thome no doubt. When he isn't hurt, hes a better slugger than Konerko.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby number9 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Yeah, but it makes even more sense to minimize the injury risk to Thome. Just makes sense in terms of risk-reward analysis. So I can see Konerko 2 games then Thome 1 game type of cycle..
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 31, 2006 9:23 am

Rotoworld wrote:Jim Thome - DH - White Sox

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Tuesday that Jim Thome will get at least one start at first base during the upcoming interleague schedule.
"I've got to pick a day when he's going to play at first base and how many innings,'' Guillen said. "My problem is there are two ways: Put him on the field and hopefully nothing happens on the field. And another way is I can sit him for nine games straight and just pinch-hit." May. 31 - 9:21 am et

So, Ozzie seems to be changing his tune. "At least one start" haha. He'll get at least 3 starts, I'm sure of it. There's absolutely no way they can justify not starting him. Konerko is good, but Thome is great.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby number9 » Wed May 31, 2006 10:08 am

9 games straight? What the heck is Ozzie talking about? ChiSox doesn't have 9 straight games scheduled in NL parks :-°

Anyways, it would be nice to know which days he's gonna start. Hmm.. :-?
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers