Return to Baseball Leftovers

Troy Glaus to play SS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby silverZ » Fri May 26, 2006 6:57 pm

I did not see this coming. It's pretty exciting as a glaus owner and Jays fan B-)
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Fri May 26, 2006 7:09 pm

Wow. 30-35 HRs and 100+ RBI/R from your SS? Tejada territory right there, but the .250 average still...
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby mweir145 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:12 pm

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the starting lineups posted, Troy Glaus at SS. He's only started 10 games at that position in his entire career. If he somehow is able to start 5 games by the time the Jays make a trade for a 2B/SS, this move could really help out some fantasy teams.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby mweir145 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:30 pm

Interesting story from Jeff Blair on the matter.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ry/Sports/

It looks like this was a move made with no input from Ricciardi at all. And in regard to the Kennedy deal that looked inevitable only 2 days ago, it's not going to happen. Looks like the Angels wouldn't do a one for one swap of Hillenbrand for Kennedy. JP now appears set to wait it out for Russ Adams (I'm not sure how this team can compete with McDonald as the primary SS for almost 2 months, I guess he's hoping Alfonzo actually does something in AA and then comes up) until the All Star Game and then put him at second. That means we could conceivably be seeing more of Glaus at SS if it works out tonight.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DSpec » Fri May 26, 2006 7:48 pm

I'm very excited about this move and I hope it works out for the Jays.
DSpec
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Fri May 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Read the whole article before you get too excited.

For instance:

Gibbons said his decision was made easier by the fact that the Blue Jays starter, Ted Lilly, is a fly-ball pitcher. "I wouldn't have Troy there if I expected a lot of ground balls," he said.

Gibbons added that people "shouldn't get used to seeing Glaus at short." Then, he added with a deadpan look: "Of course, if this doesn't work out, don't get used to me, either."
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -5)

Postby mweir145 » Fri May 26, 2006 9:23 pm

SeovyeQuirsefron wrote:Read the whole article before you get too excited.

For instance:

Gibbons said his decision was made easier by the fact that the Blue Jays starter, Ted Lilly, is a fly-ball pitcher. "I wouldn't have Troy there if I expected a lot of ground balls," he said.

Gibbons added that people "shouldn't get used to seeing Glaus at short." Then, he added with a deadpan look: "Of course, if this doesn't work out, don't get used to me, either."

I read that part. Lilly is a flyball starter, and he'll certainly make 4 starts by the ASB. So if Glaus continues to do alright as a SS (defensively), he could get the necessary 4 more starts.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri May 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Troy Glaus is so much better at SS than Russ Adams it's not even funny. He actually made two good throws right to Overbay. :-B

JP said tonight on the radio that Glaus could be thrown out there a few more times the rest of the season, but that he obviously won't be a full-time SS. He also said that currently the Jays have no plans to trade for a 2B/SS.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Iconoclastic » Fri May 26, 2006 11:53 pm

SeovyeQuirsefron wrote:Gibbons added that people "shouldn't get used to seeing Glaus at short." Then, he added with a deadpan look: "Of course, if this doesn't work out, don't get used to me, either." [/i]

nh
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby acsguitar » Sat May 27, 2006 12:58 am

I was sitting 3rd base side 5 rows away from glaus last week and he looked like he had trouble walking off the field let alone playing SS

I don't think its gonna last
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers