Return to Baseball Leftovers

And your #1 Fantasy SS IS...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: And your #1 Fantasy SS IS...

Postby Yoda » Sat May 27, 2006 1:24 pm

AT wrote:OK and argument can be made for Tejada if you want power from your SS over every other stat, but...


Image

What? His back is sore from carrying this team to the 1/4 pole. Look at these projections!

.353, 18 HR, 123 RBI, 130 R, 32 SB

So much for Jeter not being a top "fantasy" SS...

I can't believe I agreed that Michael Young was a 1st or early 2nd Round pick this year when Derek Jeter was picked far later...


I thought Brokeback Mountain was a cowboy movie not baseball??
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21191
(Past Year: -153)
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat May 27, 2006 1:55 pm

Got him 4th round, after Young, Tejada and Reyes. I'm loving it. Jeet has been my most consistent performer all season long. ;-D
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11623
(Past Year: -296)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat May 27, 2006 2:12 pm

jeter is in for a good year. but hes still not on tejadas level because he wont hit 30 dingers from the SS position.. thats what makes mr. tejada so valuable.. so hes still the numero uno.. after him, for now i would say jeter.. but come seasons end it will probably be reyes.. but those are the definate top 3
my projections
1 tejada (34hr 110rbi 100runs 325BA 3sb)
2 jeter (18hr 85rbi 124runs 322BA 22sb)
3 reyes (12hr 70rbi 128runs 273BA 64sb
tejada is the power, jeter is the well rounded, and reyes is the speed with a little pop ;-D
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2387
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 5 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: And your #1 Fantasy SS IS...

Postby Tavish » Sat May 27, 2006 2:33 pm

DevilDriver wrote:
Tavish wrote:Jeter is rolling right now, the average will drop back down some. With Damon keeping him out of the leadoff spot the RBIs should be in that 90-100 range and with the lineup behind him 120+ runs isn't out of the question. I would still rather have Tejada as my SS, but Jeter has pulled even with Reyes as the #2 guy IMO.


What about Michael Young?

I'd say he's tied with Jeter as the #2 guy, not Reyes. Reyes is a close 3rd.


I have never had enough faith in Young's power or speed numbers to put him above the 3 guys who are pretty much assured to deliver big in at least one of the categories. He reminds me of a Jeter-type player without the shot at stealing 20+ bags. Reyes' average isn't in the same class as Jeter or Young and probably never will be, but stealing 60 more than makes up for it.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 10554
(Past Year: -510)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat May 27, 2006 2:49 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:jeter is in for a good year. but hes still not on tejadas level because he wont hit 30 dingers from the SS position.. thats what makes mr. tejada so valuable.. so hes still the numero uno.. after him, for now i would say jeter.. but come seasons end it will probably be reyes.. but those are the definate top 3
my projections
1 tejada (34hr 110rbi 100runs 325BA 3sb)
2 jeter (18hr 85rbi 124runs 322BA 22sb)
3 reyes (12hr 70rbi 128runs 273BA 64sb
tejada is the power, jeter is the well rounded, and reyes is the speed with a little pop ;-D

I am VERY confused as to how you could possibly have Reyes scoring more runs than Derek Jeter. Jeter will hit for a much higher average and he will walk a lot more. Jeter also has better hitters following him (IMO) than Reyes does AND Jeter's speed is underrated by most. So with Jeter having about a .400 obp (not to mention he will hit himself in more than Reyes by hitting HR's). Jeter scoring 124 runs is fine, but I dont think Reyes will score 128 runs...its a longshot to say the least.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2567
(Past Year: 368)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat May 27, 2006 3:24 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:jeter is in for a good year. but hes still not on tejadas level because he wont hit 30 dingers from the SS position.. thats what makes mr. tejada so valuable.. so hes still the numero uno.. after him, for now i would say jeter.. but come seasons end it will probably be reyes.. but those are the definate top 3
my projections
1 tejada (34hr 110rbi 100runs 325BA 3sb)
2 jeter (18hr 85rbi 124runs 322BA 22sb)
3 reyes (12hr 70rbi 128runs 273BA 64sb
tejada is the power, jeter is the well rounded, and reyes is the speed with a little pop ;-D

I am VERY confused as to how you could possibly have Reyes scoring more runs than Derek Jeter. Jeter will hit for a much higher average and he will walk a lot more. Jeter also has better hitters following him (IMO) than Reyes does AND Jeter's speed is underrated by most. So with Jeter having about a .400 obp (not to mention he will hit himself in more than Reyes by hitting HR's). Jeter scoring 124 runs is fine, but I dont think Reyes will score 128 runs...its a longshot to say the least.


this is coming from a yankees fan of course.. but as of now jeters obp is 441 and reyes is 320.. and they have the exact same amount of runs? jeters wont stay this high and reyes has been walking a lot more this season then last season.. he already has 21 walks this season, and ended last season with a total of 26.. so his obp should be quite a bit higher then last season.. if jeters obp is so much higher then why arnt his runs so much higher? because reyes gets himself into scoring position more often then jeter, so yes i see him ending with more runs.. plus how can you say jeter has better hitters behind him? reyes has carlos beltran,david wright and carlos delgado.. with hideki matsui in the yanks lineup i might agree with you, but with him being out the rest of the season.. i have to disagree.. a-rod,shef,and giambi.. pretty dang similar to beltran,wright,delgado.. so reyes having less protection is definatly not a good argument on your part
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2387
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 5 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat May 27, 2006 4:01 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
activechamp2006 wrote:jeter is in for a good year. but hes still not on tejadas level because he wont hit 30 dingers from the SS position.. thats what makes mr. tejada so valuable.. so hes still the numero uno.. after him, for now i would say jeter.. but come seasons end it will probably be reyes.. but those are the definate top 3
my projections
1 tejada (34hr 110rbi 100runs 325BA 3sb)
2 jeter (18hr 85rbi 124runs 322BA 22sb)
3 reyes (12hr 70rbi 128runs 273BA 64sb
tejada is the power, jeter is the well rounded, and reyes is the speed with a little pop ;-D

I am VERY confused as to how you could possibly have Reyes scoring more runs than Derek Jeter. Jeter will hit for a much higher average and he will walk a lot more. Jeter also has better hitters following him (IMO) than Reyes does AND Jeter's speed is underrated by most. So with Jeter having about a .400 obp (not to mention he will hit himself in more than Reyes by hitting HR's). Jeter scoring 124 runs is fine, but I dont think Reyes will score 128 runs...its a longshot to say the least.


this is coming from a yankees fan of course.. but as of now jeters obp is 441 and reyes is 320.. and they have the exact same amount of runs? jeters wont stay this high and reyes has been walking a lot more this season then last season.. he already has 21 walks this season, and ended last season with a total of 26.. so his obp should be quite a bit higher then last season.. if jeters obp is so much higher then why arnt his runs so much higher? because reyes gets himself into scoring position more often then jeter, so yes i see him ending with more runs.. plus how can you say jeter has better hitters behind him? reyes has carlos beltran,david wright and carlos delgado.. with hideki matsui in the yanks lineup i might agree with you, but with him being out the rest of the season.. i have to disagree.. a-rod,shef,and giambi.. pretty dang similar to beltran,wright,delgado.. so reyes having less protection is definatly not a good argument on your part



I said "IMO" as in in my opinion the yankees lineup is better.


Jeter is a much better player than Reyes in real life, I think everybody can agree on that.


Also, not only has Jeter been missing out on Matsui and Sheffield over the last few weeks, but Giambi and A-Rod have not been on top of their game this month. Jeter is as consistent as they come and I dont think it is a stretch to think he could come close to what he did in 1999 at all (.349 avg. 24 HR's. The power might not be there but its entirely possible he hits around .349 this year). Sheffield, A-Rod, and Giambi should all be right back into their normal games and Jeter is stealing 2nd a bit more.


BTW, I didnt say what I said about Jeter/Reyes simply because I am a yankees fan, I gave valid points. I would be completely shocked if Reyes scored more runs than Jeter this season. While Reyes walking 21 times is encouraging, he is still hitting like crap. Try 29 walks and a .353 batting average from a proven hitter and one of them most consistent performers of this generation. It is not a complete stretch to say Jeter could hit this well all year, he is a fantastic hitter and he plays in a great lineup.


Also, Jeter having a better lineup around him was not my argument, it was just something small I through in there because I believe the yankees lineup has more depth with Cano, Posada, and Williams hitting toward the bottom.

With Sheffield back, A-Rod starting to hit like A-Rod, and Giambi who appears to be heating up again (I know this from watching him nightly, the numbers dont exactly say it but he has been hitting the ball pretty hard the past few games). I think its safe to say Jeter will score about 130 runs and Reyes will score about 110.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2567
(Past Year: 368)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Postby Andy1234 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:56 pm

I thought for sure this was going to be a Hanley Ramírez Thread
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1881
(Past Year: -181)
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Sat May 27, 2006 5:59 pm

I would rather have Jeter or Tejada simply based on their consistent track records, especially knowing that both of them will be in the lineup day in and day out and usually in a favourable position in the batting order. In my experience, getting that kind of production from the SS position can really save your bacon some weeks if your sluggers aren't performing up to par. That extra HR/RBI pop can tip the balance in your favour.

I was disappointed not to get either, but I have to put in a favourable word for David Eckstein. Ok, the guy has no power, RBI or SB potential, but the guy finished 18th in hits last year and he leads the NL this season in multi-hit games. 8-o
"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1097
(Past Year: -7)
Joined: 4 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At GNC, lookin' for some flaxseed oil...

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat May 27, 2006 6:13 pm

The Big Train wrote:I would rather have Jeter or Tejada simply based on their consistent track records, especially knowing that both of them will be in the lineup day in and day out and usually in a favourable position in the batting order. In my experience, getting that kind of production from the SS position can really save your bacon some weeks if your sluggers aren't performing up to par. That extra HR/RBI pop can tip the balance in your favour.

I was disappointed not to get either, but I have to put in a favourable word for David Eckstein. Ok, the guy has no power, RBI or SB potential, but the guy finished 18th in hits last year and he leads the NL this season in multi-hit games. 8-o


I have always thought Eckstein was a bit underrated. He is a decent fantasy option at well because Pujols hits him in so much.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2567
(Past Year: 368)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 40 guests