Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most Important Person in Baseball History?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Scott Boras!
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Tue May 30, 2006 7:13 pm

cards05 wrote:Yeah, that's the analogy I drew, but I guess I personalized it. It just doesn't really seem to be what this thread is about. But, looking back, I should have kept my mouth shut. It's not my job to police threads. It just gets annoying that that debate is often brought in to other areas of discussion that do not really call for it. Culpability aside, Ripken's public perception has been good for the game and I don't think that's even arguable, and I think he knows that.

I agree, it's off-topic, and that's why he put it in another thread for discussion. Discussing it here would be self-defeating.

If you see a thread going way on a tangent, it's never a bad idea to bring it back where it should be. :-)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:21 pm

What's wrong with you people?

It's obviously Captain Clutch.

...such calm eyes...

..Just kidding...

..but not really. ;-7
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby dawgs2010 » Tue May 30, 2006 8:53 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:How about some more pitchers? :-?

I definitely believe Ruth to be the most influential ballplayer of all time, followed by Jackie Robinson.

I like the Pete Rose mention Mookie. ;-D

Don't Forget that Babe Ruth was also a pretty good pitcher.
dawgs2010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Tue May 30, 2006 9:07 pm

Chuck Norris. After all, if he hadn't no-hit the Apocalyptic Horseman All-Stars in game 7 of the Judgement Series, the Earth wouldn't be around to play on no more.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Tavish » Tue May 30, 2006 9:39 pm

SeovyeQuirsefron wrote:
CadensDad wrote:3.)McGwire/Sosa (If it hadn't been for these two Home run race after the Strike year. Baseball may not have came back into such a big theing.)

I know this is the conventional wisdom that led Selig and his minions to look the other way at 'roids, but I seriously doubt this is true.

It can never be known what alternate baseball universe would have emerged without the 'roid-powered homer binges of the late '90s and early '00s, but something would have happened.

If you want to credit anybody for bringing baseball back from the '94 strike, go with Cal Ripken.

Nobody had to save baseball after the '94 strike. Baseball was already well on its way back by '96. McGwire and Sosa increased the popularity but certainly didn't have to "save" baseball. Its sort of the same concept when people say Pujols can "save" baseball from the game being destroyed by the steroid scandal. Baseball is setting attendance records, its not in any trouble what-so-ever.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby kentx12 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:16 pm

CadensDad wrote:3.)McGwire/Sosa (If it hadn't been for these two Home run race after the Strike year. Baseball may not have came back into such a big theing.)

I agree that in my lifetime Sosa and McGwire did more good for the game than anyone I have ever seen. I honestly dont know about the past as much as some of the others like Tavish but I would put them at the top of the list of players I have seen. It is too bad that we have to find out later that it was all a farce. The other person who I would like to add to my list would be US Senator John McCain. He has done alot for the game in the last couple of years.
There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -46)

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Tue May 30, 2006 11:34 pm

Satchel Paige...truly a player who doesn't get enough recognition for the pitcher he was.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby PinotResa » Tue May 30, 2006 11:38 pm

Tavish wrote:A lot of lists and not a signle mention of Cap Anson? There would have been no baseball for Ruth to "save" if Anson hadn't "saved" it first.

Ok, Cap Anson and Branch Rickey... I'll leave it to those who know where that is going to discuss it...

I'll throw Cy Young and Walter Johnson out there.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby PinotResa » Tue May 30, 2006 11:42 pm

acsguitar wrote:The most important player in my history of baseball is Don Mattingly. He made me love the game and the yankees

Good call. It should be something like that to each of us.

Probably more baseball fans would answer Ruth or Jackie Robinson in that context. ;-D

Mine, oh jeez, goes to Gooden and Strawberry.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers