Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone with 8+ years of experience.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Philliebuster » Tue May 30, 2006 5:21 pm

I agree, I only have 2 leagues myself, 1 main money league, and one very competetive yahoo.

I find the less teams you have, the more you are able to attach yourself to certain players. Example: if you have 10 leagues and have Johan in 1 league, and you start him, however in 5 other leagues the opponent has him, I don't find that as being fun.

The more teams you have, the more it becomes about the actual statistics and not the players involved.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Tue May 30, 2006 5:22 pm

j24jags wrote:
Armed and Hammered wrote:try playing either a very large league (20+ teams) or doing an NL or AL only. When the waiver wire is not full of solid players it makes everything a bit harder and much more fun.....imo.

Yea exactly, that's the way to get around this problem. I just joined the Triple Play Keeper League in the classifieds to make sure I have a large league. ;-D

You may run a solid draft thanks to the free services but they dont tell you when to sell high/buy low and such.

If you listen to just those guys, you may wind up with a team that looks too sexy. It looks promising, but a middle of the pack finish.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby jellyroll » Tue May 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Not sure I understand the gripe... if you are playing in competitive leagues there is little inside info (today) that is not available to all attentive teams. So what? Don't you assume all league participants are going to do their due diligence... otherwise you are just taking advantage of your friends. You can still get away with bad trades and see horrible drafting in public leagues... that's why I stay away from them.

I agree the larger leagues (20+) is where the real skill comes out, otherwise it is like texas holdem, where luck can overwelm skill.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue May 30, 2006 5:26 pm

Usually at the end of the season when you know your team is set and there is very little left to actually manage your team (even though I only play in H2H nowadays).

I think the influx of information and news can be detrimental. There is a lot of bad advice out there and a lot of people blindly make moves without really knowing the players.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby RugbyD » Tue May 30, 2006 5:38 pm

The complaint seems to be that the market is getting too efficient for your tastes. I don't think its all that fun if you did a ton of research and drafted a ridiculous team that you don't have to do much with. Sure, that's what we all try to to, but since everyone's doing it, it rarely comes to fruittion without a certain measure of luck, no matter how good someone thinks they are. An efficient market makes the in-season process more important b/c you always have to be on the lookout for ways to incrementally improve your team. It keeps your attention and makes you work for your win (kind of like why I like limit poker over no-limit). Somebody who drafted with a magazine will be at a disadvantage in this. Fantasy baseball is all about being the best at generating positive alpha, and that takes work.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 30, 2006 5:48 pm

I've been playing since I was 14 and I'm almost 25.

Fantasy Baseball has been bery bery good to me
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby cordscords » Tue May 30, 2006 5:51 pm

acsguitar wrote:I've been playing since I was 14 and I'm almost 25.

Fantasy Baseball has been bery bery good to me

Sammy? Is that you?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue May 30, 2006 5:53 pm

i understand where everyone comes from saying its got boring.. ive been playing since fantasy baseball started, and i still love it just as much today as before.. but it's because im involved in a really competitive 16 team roto keeper league.. and i couldnt imagine myself having nearly as much fun if i wasnt in a keeper league.. rotos great because it changes everyday and you can track your teams stats. plus 16 teams makes it more competitive, and keeping players makes it fun for all the teams, even the ones down at the bottom.. so i highly reccomend joining a keeper leaguee with around 16-20 teams that keeps 5-6 players.. it makes it all the more fun ;-D
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Tue May 30, 2006 6:07 pm

Signed up for a midseason draft today.

I plan on drafting according to Funstons Big Board (http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis ... antasy/mlb) for my first selections. That includes the on the bubble, and dropped out players. So depending on what spot I get, 7 picks will be made with that with the potential of 8 picks being used.

After that, I'm going to go based on what I want to do. We will see how it turns out. Could be interesting :)
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers