Return to Baseball Leftovers

Would Cubs fans like to comment on...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would Cubs fans like to comment on...?

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue May 30, 2006 9:46 pm

What is going on with Corey Patterson? Makng Baker/Cubs management look real, real bad.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Tue May 30, 2006 10:05 pm

I'd need to see his swing first....

the fact that he's been batting 7th is the one thing that i thought made him worth keeping around since it was thr only spot he could ever hit in....and yet he always thought of himself as a #3...... still didn't like anything else about him before the trade though.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby statsman88 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Cubs fans never gave him a fair chance, He started out slowly last year, and got booed by fans even on the road. Instead of settling down and letting the game come to him, I believe he tried much to hard to stop the boos and tried to hit home runs every time at bat, which in turn didn't help him at all, as he struck out nearly every at-bat, and left him and fans alike more frustrated.

I whish we could have given corey a fresh start, but I'm glad to see him succeed, I always knew he had the potential ;-D
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby rippz » Tue May 30, 2006 10:09 pm

Imagine if Patterson started the season out with a full-time gig....

He could easily have close to 10HRs and 25SB right now...... Im beginning to think that Patterson may out produce Crawford.

Are we looking at a 20HR-50SB season?
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:10 pm

rippz wrote:Imagine if Patterson started the season out with a full-time gig....

He could easily have close to 10HRs and 25SB right now...... Im beginning to think that Patterson may out produce Crawford.

A shattering thought that he could be a round 1 player next year. Mind numbiing in fact.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby PinotResa » Tue May 30, 2006 10:28 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
rippz wrote:Imagine if Patterson started the season out with a full-time gig....

A shattering thought that he could be a round 1 player next year. Mind numbiing in fact.

What's fact about that? :-?

AL pitching could easily figure him out and turn him back in to the .260ish hitter he's been for most of his MiLB and MLB career.

As far as next year goes, even as a .280 type hitter he won't bat higher than 5th in the order. At best he'd go for 85/25/90/40/.295, at that you're still not looking at a top 12 hitter, but it would be close. Second rounder, maybe. Who'd want to take on all the risk though? And if you're in an OPS or OBP league, his value would drop significantly.

Currently he has put up about the 90th most valuable numbers so far, according to linear weights.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NIU Ricky » Tue May 30, 2006 10:40 pm

I remember being so angry when the Cubs gave up on him :-t :-t
NIU Ricky
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cordscords » Tue May 30, 2006 10:59 pm

Patterson still chases a ton of pitches out of the strike zone. He is currently the 10th most aggresive swinger in the bigs.

For what it's worth....
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

Postby WittyC » Wed May 31, 2006 12:11 am

I haven't watched him much this year, but one thing he must have improved on is staying off the high heat. When he was with the Cubs anyone with a decent fastball could get C-Pat to climb the ladder at the drop of a hat.

I'm no fan of Hendry, and I hated to see Patterson go, but I understand completely why they did it.

Again, I haven't seen him play much this year, but I'd be surprised if he can keep this pace up. He's always had the speed to swipe 50, the problem for C-Pat was getting on base. If he starts striking out at a crazy rate again, he won't be on base and the SB's will tail off like a Maddux 2-seamer. B-)
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby PinotResa » Wed May 31, 2006 12:17 am

Some CPatt stats and predictions from THT based on BA/BIP, LD%, ect...

Code: Select all
     Actual   Predicted

OPS   .792     .765

SLG   .507     .451

OBP   .336     .313   

Avg   .291     .270

IsoP  .216     .182
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach