Return to Baseball Leftovers

Would Cubs fans like to comment on...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed May 31, 2006 9:19 am

cordscords wrote:Patterson still chases a ton of pitches out of the strike zone. He is currently the 10th most aggresive swinger in the bigs.

For what it's worth....
If I remeber right all you need to do is keeping throwing pitches 6 inches outside an he'll get himself out.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokeyjoe » Wed May 31, 2006 9:41 am

I see him doing decent this year, but not first round pick material. Maybe .275, 23 homers, 35 steals, high 90's or low 100's in rbis and runs. Probably second or third round quality...
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -29)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed May 31, 2006 9:56 am

patterson is a streaky player. its not like we havent seen this before. anyone remember 2003? he does have talent. he might actually put it all together. i am not going to get too excited until he does this for a whole season. even then i would be cautious about using a high pick on him.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby nolanwood » Wed May 31, 2006 10:02 am

I'd be glad to comment...

I was sad to see him go, but I surely didn't want to see him sucking it up for us anymore. He was AWFUL last year. Mis-management by the Cubs had him batting leadoff for part of the year. Also, CPatt is very agressive at the plate, and as a Cub he was playing for a very impatient team. The Cubs are notorious for lacking plate discipline, and Patterson's high K rate is indicative of this. I think he'll continue to be a very successful 7th or 8th man in any lineup, but unfortunately the Cubs refused to let him bat there and adjust. Currently, his numbers are inflated, and his high K rate is still there. He'll come back down to earth, and have 20-25 hr potential with a .265 avg. Sometimes a change of pace is needed, and Corey HAD to leave Chicago to continue his success. I'm by no means an advocate of the boo birds in Cubdom, however, last year Corey was downright horrid. If he came to the plate, it was an instant 3 pitch strikeout.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers