Return to Baseball Leftovers

Afraud

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 31, 2006 12:57 am

RynMan wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I haven't read the article in full, but it seems to be making fun of the people who make fun of A-Rod...

In the second inning, following a David Ortiz strikeout, Manny Ramirez hit a home run to left. Then the next batter, Jason Varitek, grounded out to A-Rod at third. I mean, come on A-Rod! Now you make the play?! The batter before hits a home run over your head to cut your team's lead to two and you do nothing, and then Varitek hits a weak grounder to you and you make that out? How about jumping up and snagging that Ramirez shot before it rocketed over your head? That's what your team needed! I mean, I don't know -- if I'm going to pay a guy $25 million to play third, I expect him to make those plays. I can get anyone to field routine ground balls.

!+) Guess I didn't get it. I'm lost.

You silly Aussies B-) Now that I've finished it; yeah, it's clear that he's simply joking, which is made more evident by the last paragraph. He's poking fun at all those who continue to claim that A-Rod only hits HRs in games that are already out of reach, never has any 'clutch' hits, etc. etc. etc. It's pretty funny, and I enjoyed it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PinotResa » Wed May 31, 2006 1:15 am

bigh0rt wrote:
And until A-Rod comes up huge in a World Series with the pressure on and single-handedly wins a championship for the Yankees, I won't believe in him.

(Oh, and it has to be in Game 7 of the World Series against the Red Sox, or it won't count.)
:-b

That part actually has some truth to it, well at least doing something big vs. the Sox in the playoffs.

Funny stuff overall :-b
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby red_foot » Wed May 31, 2006 1:29 am

Wow, most of you don't get the article at all. It's COMPLETELY sarcastic. Teh writer is just making fun of all the people that criticize Arod by showing how Arod contributed something positive in every game for an entire week and how that is still not enough for the crtics.

This article was not meant to be debated or pondered over extensively. It's meant to be an overzealous knock at critics who are being equally ridiculous in the way they treat Arod.
red_foot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WittyC » Wed May 31, 2006 1:45 am

Yeah... Gallo's actually a pretty clever guy. I really don't like most of ESPN's writers (more of an SI guy, though Verducci and Donovan put me to sleep sometimes, too), but a lot of those Page 2 guys really crack me up.

Everyone should have understood the satire from the first game he wrote about...

Classic A-Rod. Or should I say A-Fraud. (Get it? I changed the Rod part to Fraud. It rhymes and everything.)

He's just being a prick! :-b
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 31, 2006 6:43 am

bigh0rt wrote:Actually... this isn't half bad... sort of funny how he pokes fun at all the people putting A-Rod under the microscope, jocking him...

Thursday, no game: A scheduled off day. Typical A-Fraud -- the Yankees manage to win back-to-back games against the Red Sox and he needs a day off. Pathetic.

He went 3-for-4 with a double and just one measly RBI. Uh, hello? A-Rod? How about you muscle up a bit, you wuss, and make those singles into home runs? Had you done that, the Yankees would have won. But they didn't. And even the worst team in baseball proved it can come into your home park and make you look like a fool.

Rodriguez hit two home runs and the Yankees won 15-4. Wow, great timing there, A-Rod. Not only do you have a big game in an easy win -- every RBI in the careers of Derek Jeter and David Ortiz has come with their teams trailing in the bottom of the ninth (it's true, look it up) -- but where were those two home runs, four runs scored and three RBI last night, when your team really needed them? Huh, A-Rod? Where were they then? You sicken me, that's what you do, A-Rod. You sicken me.

:-b :-b :-b :-b

That part actually has some truth to it, well at least doing something big vs. the Sox in the playoffs.

He has...

But we won't get into that here. Check out the numerous other A-Rod threads if you're interested in a discussion.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 31, 2006 9:32 am

I was very pleasantly surprised by this article. To that point, everything I read by Gallo was more annoying than funny. This was actually very good. And yes, it is a sarcastic column, if you haven't figured it out yet...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers