Return to Baseball Leftovers

With Nevin gone...Does Botts get some more PT?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

With Nevin gone...Does Botts get some more PT?

Postby WessWackos » Wed May 31, 2006 4:26 pm

What kind of numbers are we looking at here? Can this kid come in and rake?

Throw out some projections for us boys!
WessWackos
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rentz » Wed May 31, 2006 4:35 pm

he will be getting pretty much ALL the DH atbats.
the guys a hr hitter who can occasionally draw a walk.

my best speculation based on the lineup spot he's been getting 20-25hr's 80-85rbi's
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 31, 2006 4:35 pm

rotoworld

Jason Botts – 1B Rangers – The Rangers were quick to look past a few strong weeks from first basemen Phil Nevin and recalled Botts from Triple-A Oklahoma to challenge the veteran for playing time versus right-handers. Botts turns 26 this summer and he’s not a future star, but his bat is strong enough to be an asset and playing half his games in Arlington will certainly help. His career batting line in the minors is .290/.393/.471 while posting similar if not slightly better numbers at higher levels. Botts was also hitting an impressive .318/.373/.615 before getting recalled, so the power potential here is obvious.

The big, 6’5”, 250-pound switch-hitter is going to strike out at least once per game and it’s more likely he hits .260 than .290 in the majors. However, he has enough pitch recognition skills to draw a fair number of walks and destroy mistake pitches. Since being called up, Botts is 4-for-8 with two doubles, a homer, and four walks in three starts. That Phil Nevin has belted a couple of homers in the past week could slow Botts’ chances of becoming the club’s primary DH, but it’s still possible that will eventually happen. The more playing time he gets, the more valuable he’ll be in AL-only formats. Mixed leaguers can watch the situation, but should only act if Botts establishes himself as a starter. Recommendation: Claim in AL-only leagues.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby GreenFish » Wed May 31, 2006 4:37 pm

Blalock is the DH today. I sure hope Botts can be the full time DH as I picked him up last week :-D
If you believe everything you read, better not read.
Japanese Proverb
GreenFish
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby rentz » Wed May 31, 2006 4:38 pm

GreenFish wrote:Blalock is the DH today. I sure hope Botts can be the full time DH as I picked him up last week :-D

my guess is blalocks just getting rest since its a daygame after a nightgame.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 31, 2006 4:38 pm

Once DeRosa cools down (which, he will) Botts will be the full-time DH. Until then, expect DeRosa to weasel his way in to the lineup on a daily basis and sometimes putting Botts on the bench. :-t
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Return to Baseball Leftovers