Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boycott the All-Star Game!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slappinSingles » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:41 am

Mercer Boy wrote:Bay is not even in the top 15 OF for voting. :-[ :-[ :-t :-t

So Taguchi has more votes than he does!!!! SO EFFING TAGUCHI!!!! :-[ :-[ :*)

:~(

Xaxier Nady is beating Bay. I never really gave that much thought to it before but this year seems to more gaps than usual. This whole homefield advantage thing really brings this to a real argument. The game has meaning you need to have the right players in there.
slappinSingles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:18 am

I'm a redsox fan and I think it's disgraceful how fans are voting for their team instead of the best player. Or they vote for a popular name instead of the current talent.
Hopefully we'll have a couple horrible ASG's and people will realize it's all their own fault (see George W.).
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby tol1l1yboy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:35 am

Looking at the results so far this year it just goes to show you two things:

1. Fans dont vote for the best players they vote for their favorites.

2. Fans are really stupid.

Few other thoughts:

1. How is Mauer not leading all catchers?

2. How is Cano even in the top 15 for AL 2nd Baseman and if you think he is have you thought about turning your attention to Hockey because they need more fans?

3. Why would anyone other than his immediate family (and even that is pushing it) vote for Biggio to be an allstar?

4. How are you not locked up in an insane asylum if you voted for Eckstein as the NL shortstop allstar?

5. How many times did your mother drop you on your head for you to punch the Jim Edmonds ballot to go to the allstar game?
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:36 am

Chicago RedSox wrote:I'm a redsox fan and I think it's disgraceful how fans are voting for their team instead of the best player. Or they vote for a popular name instead of the current talent.
Hopefully we'll have a couple horrible ASG's and people will realize it's all their own fault (see George W.).

Well said. Isn't it bad enough that we are subjected to the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cardinals on every nationally televised game? Now we have to put up with them throughout the All-Star Game as well? It's time for fans to put some thought into the process. Is it that hard to recognize Chase Utley and Jason Bay and Vernon Wells and Joe Mauer and Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee, etc, etc, etc...I mean, these guys aren't exactly no-namers. I can appreciate Alex Rios not getting any recognition--not many would think or take the time to write his name on the ballot, but there's really no excuse for ignoring the other guys.

To me, a game with Edmonds, Eckstein, Cano, Damon, Varitek, and Biggio has no right to include the word "star" in its title unless we call it the No-Star Game, which would be more accurate. Hopefully the managers get the starters out quickly and get to the "scrubs" in so we can see the stars of 2006 instead of 2001.

At least the fans don't get to pick the pitchers, or we'd probably be subjected to a pitching lineup of Jaret Wright, Jeff Suppan, David Wells, Shawn Chacon, and Jason Marquis!
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby Kelly Gruber » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:04 am

The fans who really know what is going on in the whole league are a minority, and unfortunately minorities are squashed in simple democracy.

But, like someone said above, the All Star game is about getting more fans to like baseball; and, that means entertainment. So, sorry guys, but you will like baseball either way, you are not their target. Their target is the fan who goes to 2 games a year and likes Jadier Molina because he had just happened to have a really good game one of those times, or even just because they recognize his name and none of the others.

Really though, baseball is not an individual sport, it's a team sport, played over 162 games and then playoffs. That is what matters the most, and that is why there is only 1 All Star game that amounts to some fun times. Well, what about home field advantage? Maybe that is what should be changed from the game: take that away, keep the rest as it is.
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:19 am

Its called the "All-star" game

Not the "Who is having a good April and May" game.

It is an exhibition, just take away the home field advantage and be done with it already..

I don't care to see Hanley Ramirez versus Webb.

I want to see Stars.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby PinotResa » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:55 am

Doughhead wrote:To me, a game with Edmonds, Eckstein, Cano, Damon, Varitek, and Biggio has no right to include the word "star" in its title unless we call it the No-Star Game, which would be more accurate. Hopefully the managers get the starters out quickly and get to the "scrubs" in so we can see the stars of 2006 instead of 2001.

At least the fans don't get to pick the pitchers, or we'd probably be subjected to a pitching lineup of Jaret Wright, Jeff Suppan, David Wells, Shawn Chacon, and Jason Marquis!

:-b ;-D

Isn't the AS game supposed to be based off of the second half of last year in addition to the first half of this season?

I want to see Victor Martinez, Travis Hafner, Paul Konerko, Jason Bay, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Troy Glaus, Johnny Gomes, Matt Holliday...
Last edited by PinotResa on Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby hybrid » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:02 am

Even if you choose not to watch the game, it really has no bearing on how much money they make off of it or not. They don't view everyone in the countries TV's and monitor what exact program people are watching. A lot of it is done w/ people in a targeted area also know as sample audiences that Nielsen Media Research makes available for the television networks. When they say so many odd many watched this event, it's merely an estimation on the info they receive back from the audience they have selected.

In other words it basically makes no difference at all unless you get tons of people to not watch that are in the area they are taking the information from.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby $ » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:58 am

wow... it sucks that I had to write in a vote for Alex Rios :-t
$
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:02 am

Sheesh. Every year people get themselves into a lather about the ASG voting. But every year, pretty much all the players, with a couple of exceptions, who should be there, end up there.

Can't say that I really care that much.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers