Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do the astros really need Clemens?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do the astros really need Clemens?

Postby acsguitar » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:11 pm

Is it me or would that money have gone to a better cause like grabbing someone who can drive in runs. Geez for that price you could get an elite player and a decent player.

I'm stros can barely score 3 runs a game. Petitte and Oswalt and Clemens ERA can be under 3 but they still are gonna lost a bunch of games due to the anemic offense.

Now I guess the Stros are a 2nd half team but still I'm not sure Clemens is what they really needed.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:24 pm

But money can't really go out and buy anything right now, during the season. They may need hitting, but if a guy like Clemens is out there you can't pass up that opportunity.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:28 pm

blankman wrote:But money can't really go out and buy anything right now, during the season. They may need hitting, but if a guy like Clemens is out there you can't pass up that opportunity.

Yeah...that money may be worth an elite player, and a decent player, but that doesn't do them any good when all the elite players are on a team.

Maybe after the season when Clemens is gone they can use the money on a big bat FA, but there's no one for them to grab right now anyways.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:30 pm

Clemens will help ANY team in baseball top to bottom. I dont care who you are but a pitcher like that will help your team. This Astros team is almost the exact same team that went to the WS last year. He is a big help.

I do think he is slightly overpaid but he's still worth it IMO.
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:31 pm

And remember, if the Astros are still out of the race by the trading deadline, Clemens becomes a huge bargaining chip with the Yankees and Red Sox. This is pretty much a win win situation for the 'Stros.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby PinotResa » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:34 pm

Yes and he will sell a lot of tickets.
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:40 pm

davidmarver wrote:And remember, if the Astros are still out of the race by the trading deadline, Clemens becomes a huge bargaining chip with the Yankees and Red Sox. This is pretty much a win win situation for the 'Stros.

Although I haven't heard specifically of a no-trade clause, I can't see Houston trading him. That would be one of the most disrespectful things a franchise has done to a player.

He is only going to choose between 3 teams (I don't think Texas ever had a chance) and he picks you because he's with his family and can play with his son in September, so you trade him to another team at the trading deadline? I don't think so.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:41 pm

PinotResa wrote:Yes and he will sell a lot of tickets.

Very good point, I had been thinking about that myself.

Clemens will generate his own salary plus more back for the Astros, through mercahndise sales, tickets, (Playoff appearences ect.)

Smart move by the Stros IMO
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby bleach168 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:51 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
davidmarver wrote:And remember, if the Astros are still out of the race by the trading deadline, Clemens becomes a huge bargaining chip with the Yankees and Red Sox. This is pretty much a win win situation for the 'Stros.

Although I haven't heard specifically of a no-trade clause, I can't see Houston trading him. That would be one of the most disrespectful things a franchise has done to a player.

He is only going to choose between 3 teams (I don't think Texas ever had a chance) and he picks you because he's with his family and can play with his son in September, so you trade him to another team at the trading deadline? I don't think so.

Where was that thinking when Clemens interviewed all those prospective teams to drive up his price? Now he is practically the highest paid player outside of A-Rod.

If he was so concerned, he should have asked for a no-trade clause.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:54 pm

bleach168 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:

Where was that thinking when Clemens interviewed all those prospective teams to drive up his price? Now he is practically the highest paid player outside of A-Rod.

If he was so concerned, he should have asked for a no-trade clause.

If he was so concerned? Who said that there is concern? I don't think it would even be considered by the Astros, there's no reason for him to be concerned.

And it's not like the Astros had to sign him and give him that much. He was fine with retiring. If a team wanted him, they knew that would be the price.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers