Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kevin Mench

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kevin Mench

Postby dodge ball » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:40 am

So what's the deal with him? Apparently he lost his job in right field? Is this true? Looks like he was turning it around too...hit a hr over the weekend. hmm...
dodge ball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dundeeslugger » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:28 am

Bucky just found another guy that he can put into the lineup so he doesn't have to put Mench in. For some reason he hates the guy.
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:50 am

Shocking that Showwalter would do something irrational and lose patience with a player...simply shocking. Just ask John Wetteland.

Oh, and yes, Mr. Mench is apparently out of a job for the time being:

Rotoworld:
The Dallas Morning News reports that "it appears Kevin Mench has lost his job as the regular right fielder."
Manager Buck Showalter continues to go with the hot-hitting Mark DeRosa, and Mench and Jason Botts have both seen their playing time suffer. Jun. 13 - 9:51 am et
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:52 am

Mench has been a disappointment this year. If you take out his 8 HR streak, he has been absolutely dreadful over the rest of the games. I don't blame Buck for losing some patience with him...especially when he has an extemely hot option to take his spot (DeRosa).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Hobbes » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:55 am

This was in the notes section on Mench in Yahoo:

Jun 12: The Dallas Morning News is reporting Texas Rangers OF Kevin Mench appears to have lost his job as the regular right fielder. Mench sat out the Monday, June 12, game against the Chicago White Sox, and IF/OF Mark DeRosa started in right for the 11th time in the last 18 games.

It's not looking good for Mench. If DeRosa doesn't hit a cold patch Mench might not get his job back all season. Mench was already sitting a lot against righties so I was already wondering if I should keep him on my team. If he doesn't start to get some more playing time pretty soon it might be time to move on.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby rentz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:07 am

the problem is buck loves derosa, even though he has never played remotely like this ever in his career. derosa just snapped an 11game hitting streak last night.
mench still gets playingtime, just not everyday.
the problem mench has really had this year is missing plays in the outfield.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Onyx » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:16 am

DeRosa is playing over his head. He's a 31 year old, career .272hitter.
I cant see it lasting too long but what Buck does when its time to change back again is anyone's guess.
He really doesnt like Mench.
Onyx
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rentz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:18 am

Onyx wrote:DeRosa is playing over his head. He's a 31 year old, career .272hitter.
I cant see it lasting too long but what Buck does when its time to change back again is anyone's guess.
He really doesnt like Mench.

yeah....it all goes back to mench refusing to play winter ball a few years ago. been in bucks doghouse ever since
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:27 am

slomo007 wrote:Mench has been a disappointment this year. If you take out his 8 HR streak, he has been absolutely dreadful over the rest of the games. I don't blame Buck for losing some patience with him...especially when he has an extemely hot option to take his spot (DeRosa).

I agree. However, that is Mench in a nutshell. Very streaky. He goes ice cold for a month and a half or more and then goes white-hot for a week or 2. That is why he is not an elite OF and simply a fantasy 5th OF type. Does Showwalter expect Mench to change or improve a lot? I do not think that is very reasonable. He is what he is. He will no more likely become a consistent, disciplined hitter any more than Soriano is going to become a walk machine with an eagle eye.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:28 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Mench has been a disappointment this year. If you take out his 8 HR streak, he has been absolutely dreadful over the rest of the games. I don't blame Buck for losing some patience with him...especially when he has an extemely hot option to take his spot (DeRosa).

I agree. However, that is Mench in a nutshell. Very streaky. He goes ice cold for a month and a half or more and then goes white-hot for a week or 2. That is why he is not an elite OF and simply a fantasy 5th OF type. Does Showwalter expect Mench to change or improve a lot? I do not think that is very reasonable. He is what he is. He will no more likely become a consistent, disciplined hitter any more than Soriano is going to become a walk machine with an eagle eye.

I agree. But fantasy owners see those hot streaks and expect them to continue. Buck is playing Mench in the right way, try to get him jump started by favorably spot starting him against left handed pitchers...then, if he has a great game or two...let him play for a couple more days to see if the streak will continue.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers