Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kevin Mench

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:36 am

slomo007 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Mench has been a disappointment this year. If you take out his 8 HR streak, he has been absolutely dreadful over the rest of the games. I don't blame Buck for losing some patience with him...especially when he has an extemely hot option to take his spot (DeRosa).

I agree. However, that is Mench in a nutshell. Very streaky. He goes ice cold for a month and a half or more and then goes white-hot for a week or 2. That is why he is not an elite OF and simply a fantasy 5th OF type. Does Showwalter expect Mench to change or improve a lot? I do not think that is very reasonable. He is what he is. He will no more likely become a consistent, disciplined hitter any more than Soriano is going to become a walk machine with an eagle eye.

I agree. But fantasy owners see those hot streaks and expect them to continue. Buck is playing Mench in the right way, try to get him jump started by favorably spot starting him against left handed pitchers...then, if he has a great game or two...let him play for a couple more days to see if the streak will continue.

Mench is to fantasy owners what the Sirens were to sailors.

Showwalter can try to jump start and spot Mench. Problem is that I think Mench is the type of player that simply has to be allowed to play through the problems. He is not going to find that 2 week form by playing twice a week imo. Frankly, what Texas should do is let Mench go off on one of his tears and deal him to some fool who can't see the forrest through the trees (ahem...Cashman). If Texas plays Mench they sort of have to expect what they are seeing. One can argue the value of a player this streaky, but that is what they have and I do not see Mench changing at this stage of his career.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:18 pm

It's interesting the Rangers would stick with Mench over the past two offseasons, despite some decent trade offers, only to bench him. Now they are destroying his value by putting him on the bench and will probably wind up dumping him around the deadline for pennies on the dollar compared to what they could have gotten a few months ago.

Mench is no Pujols, but he is a decent .275/25 guy and probably a better bet over the long-term than DeRosa. A lot of teams would be glad to have him to plug in.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby rentz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:35 pm

stumpak wrote:It's interesting the Rangers would stick with Mench over the past two offseasons, despite some decent trade offers, only to bench him. Now they are destroying his value by putting him on the bench and will probably wind up dumping him around the deadline for pennies on the dollar compared to what they could have gotten a few months ago.

Mench is no Pujols, but he is a decent .275/25 guy and probably a better bet over the long-term than DeRosa. A lot of teams would be glad to have him to plug in.

yup...theyve turned down some good offers for mench, and now they are ruining any value he had. i put most of the blame squarely on buck showalter. he's far too quick to play a gritty vet who is playing over his head. im just thankfull he didnt decide that derosa should stay at 2b when kinsler game back.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby tomdoyle3 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:01 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Mench has been a disappointment this year. If you take out his 8 HR streak, he has been absolutely dreadful over the rest of the games. I don't blame Buck for losing some patience with him...especially when he has an extemely hot option to take his spot (DeRosa).

I agree. However, that is Mench in a nutshell. Very streaky. He goes ice cold for a month and a half or more and then goes white-hot for a week or 2. That is why he is not an elite OF and simply a fantasy 5th OF type. Does Showwalter expect Mench to change or improve a lot? I do not think that is very reasonable. He is what he is. He will no more likely become a consistent, disciplined hitter any more than Soriano is going to become a walk machine with an eagle eye.

Exactly, Showalter has been has manager for a few years now, he should realize that this is one of his many cold spells and have some patience with him.

The Rangers front office either needs to trade him or Showalter should start him, because this is ridiculous, he is too good to sit on the bench. (He is pitiful at times, but c'mon, Mark Derosa?)
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby warrick95 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:19 am

stumpak wrote:It's interesting the Rangers would stick with Mench over the past two offseasons, despite some decent trade offers, only to bench him. Now they are destroying his value by putting him on the bench and will probably wind up dumping him around the deadline for pennies on the dollar compared to what they could have gotten a few months ago.

Guess it just means that the GM likes him but Showalter doesn't...front office has to pressure Buck into starting him, I suppose. DeRosa has been absolutely tearing it up, though, and is a very versatile player. The hope for Mench is that Buck doesn't fall in love with him so much that even when he goes back to his norms, he'll still start. We'll see. You never really know with Showalter.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:35 am

I think Mench will get his job back when Derosa goes back to normal.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby tomdoyle3 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:36 am

Derosa is 6/25 in his last 7 games with 3 runs scored and 1 rbi.

Mench has played rf 4 out of the last 6 Rangers games, and the last two. He has one day off in that stretch and played dh another. In these past two days he is 3/8 with 4 rbis. We'll see in the next couple of days if he continues to play right. ;-D
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers