Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do people continue to defend MATT CAIN?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:32 pm

J35J wrote:2006
1.38 WHIP
3.91 BB/9

Career Minors
1.22 WHIP (avg at best for a highly touted prospect)
3.74 BB/9

I say it will be a couple years before you see quality numbers from him. He needs to learn how to throw strikes before I take him serious enough to make him anything higher than a 3rd or 4th starter.

Jason


Cain has always been one of the youngest in his league.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13016
(Past Year: -246)
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:40 pm

Because I've seen him pitch and his stiff is filthy. Once he harnesses his control he can be a Cy Young contender.

Has the guy who started this thread ever seen cain pitch? He regularly dials it up to 95 and he's only 21 years old. Long term this guy will be an uber stud.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 515
Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:41 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:2006
1.38 WHIP
3.91 BB/9

Career Minors
1.22 WHIP (avg at best for a highly touted prospect)
3.74 BB/9

I say it will be a couple years before you see quality numbers from him. He needs to learn how to throw strikes before I take him serious enough to make him anything higher than a 3rd or 4th starter.

Jason


Cain has always been one of the youngest in his league.



Great for him, now he can be the youngest with the worst control in his league...... :-D !+)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10377
(Past Year: -42)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:42 pm

J35J wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:2006
1.38 WHIP
3.91 BB/9

Career Minors
1.22 WHIP (avg at best for a highly touted prospect)
3.74 BB/9

I say it will be a couple years before you see quality numbers from him. He needs to learn how to throw strikes before I take him serious enough to make him anything higher than a 3rd or 4th starter.

Jason


Cain has always been one of the youngest in his league.



Great for him, now he can be the youngest with the worst control in his league...... :-D !+)


let's get this out of the way, his control is not great but it's hardly Boof Bonserisque or Ollisque. He just need to show better consistency.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13016
(Past Year: -246)
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby tomdoyle3 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:48 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
J35J wrote:2006
1.38 WHIP
3.91 BB/9

Career Minors
1.22 WHIP (avg at best for a highly touted prospect)
3.74 BB/9

I say it will be a couple years before you see quality numbers from him. He needs to learn how to throw strikes before I take him serious enough to make him anything higher than a 3rd or 4th starter.

Jason


Cain has always been one of the youngest in his league.



Great for him, now he can be the youngest with the worst control in his league...... :-D !+)


let's get this out of the way, his control is not great but it's hardly Boof Bonserisque or Ollisque. He just need to show better consistency.


Exactly, he is in no way a Daniel Cabrera type. It's pretty minor control troubles (considering how young he is, it could be a lot worse) and next year he should be a target on draft-day. This is actually helping us smart fantasy baseball players, becuase many will undervalue him becuase of his low 2006 numbers, hurting his draft value next year. I'll gladly take him in the 15th round next year. ;-D

Ok, there was a lot of rambling in that post, sorry. :-b
Image
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 288
Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Connecticut

Postby perlick29 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:01 am

It's also nights like tonight that I continue to defend him. As I said earlier, he has a very favorable schedule until the All Star Break.
Image
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4736
(Past Year: -74)
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: praising the almighty Baseball Prospectus

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:01 am

No hitter through 7, 9 K's. Pitch count is at 112 though.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2567
(Past Year: 368)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:03 am

This should be an interesting decision coming. I think Alou will let him start the next inning but will have a quick hook. It would have to be tough to pull someone on the verge of a no-hitter though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11890
(Past Year: -70)
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:47 am

Cain was dealing, but the Angels ain't exactly hitting right now.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1797
(Past Year: -29)
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles

Postby baseball6791 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:59 am

Tonight is why. His stuff is electric. When he is on and locating his pitches he is unstoppable. High 90's fastball, great curve, change, just incredible stuff.
http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4268
(Past Year: -100)
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron