Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carl Crawford Power Surge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:33 am

His power surge is most likely real. He's been touted as a 20+ HR guy as he matures. He hit 15 last year. After a slow start, during which his wrist was allegedly bothering him, he has exploded. I'd like to see more running, but his steals usually come in spurts, and he's about due for one.

As a Crawford owner, I'd be thrilled with him moving to Angels or Rockies. Both would be better than Tampa Bay.

If I had to choose, I woud chose Angels because of the aggressive running game. ;-D
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:17 am

Secret Avatar wrote:His power surge is most likely real. He's been touted as a 20+ HR guy as he matures. He hit 15 last year. After a slow start, during which his wrist was allegedly bothering him, he has exploded. I'd like to see more running, but his steals usually come in spurts, and he's about due for one.

As a Crawford owner, I'd be thrilled with him moving to Angels or Rockies. Both would be better than Tampa Bay.

If I had to choose, I woud chose Angels because of the aggressive running game. ;-D

Angels - 75 stolen base attempts
Rays - 75 stolen base attempts

Also that's with Lugo missing quite a few games and Rocco finally coming back. So basically the Rays run just as much, there isn't a real difference at all to say he would run a lot more anywhere else.

Angels - 306 runs scored
Rockies - 308 runs scored
Rays - 301 runs scored

Once again there is basically no difference, so I don't see how people are getting he would be better elsewhere for fantasy purposes. Also once again those stats are w/ out Cantu (leading the team offensively last year) out for quite some time, Lugo, and Rocco. If you look at 2006 Park Factors, Tropicana is more HR friendly then Coors this year too. You can say that in the future the Angels have very good prospects, but the Rays still have BJ and Delmon who are two of the best prospects in the game still. Not to mention a very underated Elijah Dukes, who I thnk will surprise a few.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:09 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:

I sure would love to hear your reasoning for these two statements.
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:51 pm

"I sure would love to hear your reasoning for these two statements."

First of all, Crawford has hit MUCH better on the road than at home, so a move from TB would potentially be a big boon for him. In 2005, his home splits were 288/430/749 vs. 314/506/850 on the road. This year, the splits are 274/421/767 vs. 338/529/891.

Beyond that, how fickle fantasy owners are that I actually have to explain why a move to Coors would be a good thing. :-?

Granted, Coors has not been the offensive shangri-la that it has been, but Rockies players still have sharp home/road splits, which shows better than anything, IMO, that the park is still offensive-friendly.

Both LAA and TB have comparatively neutral home parks. I'd much rather have Crawford hitting ahead of Big Daddy Vladdy than Gomes and Aubrey "Mendoza" Huff. Period.

Plus, I think LAA runs more than TB. The total amount of steals attempted means little to me, since Figgins has not been getting on base as much as he has in the past, which reduces his steal attempts.
Last edited by Secret Avatar on Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -2)

Postby DK » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:55 pm

You guys want to talk about running teams, and haven't mentioned the Mets yet?

Best SB%, most SB in the majors?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby hybrid » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:29 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:First of all, Crawford has hit MUCH better on the road than at home, so a move from TB would potentially be a big boon for him. In 2005, his home splits were 288/430/749 vs. 314/506/850 on the road. This year, the splits are 274/421/767 vs. 338/529/891.

Beyond that, how fickle fantasy owners are that I actually have to explain why a move to Coors would be a good thing. :-?

Granted, Coors has not been the offensive shangri-la that it has been, but Rockies players still have sharp home/road splits, which shows better than anything, IMO, that the park is still offensive-friendly.

Both LAA and TB have comparatively neutral home parks. I'd much rather have Crawford hitting ahead of Big Daddy Vladdy than Gomes and Aubrey "Mendoza" Huff. Period.

Plus, I think LAA runs more than TB. The total amount of steals attempted means little to me, since Figgins has not been getting on base as much as he has in the past, which reduces his steal attempts.

Crawford also hit much better at home in his first 3 years in the league. As a career hitting .304 at Home and .278 Away. So I'm not sure by saying last year and so far this year and is any real indication of him being better in the future Away and worse at Home.

Rockies at Home (32G) - .273/.336/.425 - 146 runs - 26 hr's
Rockies on the Road (36G) - .266/.335/.438 - 157 runs - 37 hr's

The team doesn't have like you say "sharp" home/road splits. In fact they hit the same basically and have shown more power in the road. Their only player to have shown any help from Coors is Holliday, and that's only for his average .... his power is the same either place. Atkins, Helton, Hawpe, all hit the same basically or like Hawpe better on the road.

While Vladdy is a very good option, so far Cantu has done nothing to say he isn't pretty good in his own right. Gomes would be the hitter after Cantu, and so far he has shown to be a better option then whatever the Angels have hitting after Vlad.

Actually the total amount of stolen base attempts should mean something to you. Despite what Figgins is doing about getting on base, he is still going to average right around 70 attempts, which isn't that far off from last year. And like I said with Lugo and Rocco just coming back, the Rays could be higher as well.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby jsphlly » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:51 pm

Carl Crawford = Young Barry.

Already has more hits then Bonds did when he was Crawford's age, few other categories he has him beat in that regard too, I can't remember.

The power is coming, maybe not Barry power, but he has a great swing and (insert rumor comment) Barry's swing and bat speed are the keys to his power.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pablo975 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:53 pm

Carl was obviously reading this thread before today's game! Another jack! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -20)

Postby DK » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:11 pm

jsphlly wrote:Carl Crawford = Young Barry.

Already has more hits then Bonds did when he was Crawford's age, few other categories he has him beat in that regard too, I can't remember.

The power is coming, maybe not Barry power, but he has a great swing and (insert rumor comment) Barry's swing and bat speed are the keys to his power.

Barry's batting eye is far, far superior to Crawford's, even at a young age. Crawford is no Bonds.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:04 pm

The Angels run a lot for having only one speedster. Scioscia is also a former catcher and knows when it's a good time to run or not. There are a lot of factors, the players speed, the catcher, the pitch count, what pitch the pitcher is likely to throw, he knows all that stuff instictively... This really cuts down on the "stupid" steal signals. He knows when the odds are good or bad, and with Crawford, the speed factor is gonna make for a lot better odds.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers