Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Shelton done for good?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Shelton done for good?

Postby RedWoodTree824 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:42 am

Should this guy still be owned in regular leagues? Can his new hitting coach salvage his season?

Jun 17 Jason Beck, of Tigers.MLB.com, reports Detroit Tigers 1B Chris Shelton has been working with hitting coach Don Slaught to overcome a recent hitting slump. Shelton is 7-for-53 in his last 15 games. Slaught is working with Shelton on the mental approach to hitting rather than his mechanics, "Oh yeah, he's got a good swing, no question about it. There's things that take him out of his game."
RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -60)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:48 am

Magic 8 ball says... Yes.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby burntfaceman » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:40 am

I think so too. Just a sophomore slump that I have no doubt he'll break out of. He's too good of a hitter. If you can, wait it out.
burntfaceman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lordrevolution » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:32 am

You had to figure this would happen. He came out too fast, and suddenly everyone everywhere wanted a peice of him.
They got into his head is all, and sooner or later he'll go back to doing the kind of hitting he had been doing up to this point in his life.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:34 am

He had a similiar on-fire streak in 2005 then cooled off, so this just may be his makeup, hot and cold. Pull hitters tend to have this streak more often. It's pretty rare for a hitter to change this tendency, but not impossible.

I'm like this in golf, I can go hole after hole parring away or birdie at worst looking like I belong on the tour, and then bam, I'll start slicing and hooking my drives for reasons I can't explain. And it's not fatigue because sometimes it vice versa.

I never had that in baseball and I suspect being a switch hitter was the reason. having to change your mechanics regularly I think prevents creeping but unnoticeable changes if you have only one swing.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby tomdoyle3 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:58 am

Lordrevolution wrote:You had to figure this would happen. He came out too fast, and suddenly everyone everywhere wanted a peice of him.
They got into his head is all, and sooner or later he'll go back to doing the kind of hitting he had been doing up to this point in his life.

I agree, he is pressing. After all of those hr's that he hit in the beginning of the year, he got tons of press, and began to think that he needed to hit a homerun every at-bat. Hopefully this hitting coach can sort things out. ;-D

I have him in a dynasty, and I'm holding on to him. He should have years of 30/90 ahead of him, he's only 25 years old and he had just 432 major league at-bats before this year.
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby d18Mike » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:29 am

There was a good article on Shelton on Baseball HQ a couple weeks ago analyzing his contact rates, balls in play, etc... based on that data they contend that his BA will continue to drop to about the .250-.270 range and his power will be 25-30 HRs. I'm working from memory, so I may be off a bit but that was the gist of the thing.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby LouisC9999 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:02 am

Lordrevolution wrote:You had to figure this would happen. He came out too fast, and suddenly everyone everywhere wanted a peice of him.

Back then, I remember thinking "Is this guy going to hit .700 for the season???!!!"
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby tomdoyle3 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:17 am

d18Mike wrote:There was a good article on Shelton on Baseball HQ a couple weeks ago analyzing his contact rates, balls in play, etc... based on that data they contend that his BA will continue to drop to about the .250-.270 range and his power will be 25-30 HRs. I'm working from memory, so I may be off a bit but that was the gist of the thing.

I think a lot of us expected those numbers before the season started. ;-D
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:05 pm

I think the best way to get out of a pull hitter out of a slump is to take a few days off, don't swing during the break, then take some BP with the focus being on hitting to the opposite field. I've seen this get pull hitters back on track.

The reason being, when pull hitters get on a hot streak, they sometimes start to try and pull it even more and they press and get out ahead of pitches.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers