Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fastest player??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby d18Mike » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:17 pm

<quote>Gathright is the fastest but he's TERRIBLE at getting a jump. If he takes off early enough he's unstoppable. Nook's VERY close to Gathright.</quote>

Took the words right out of my mouth ... a straight 60-yard foot race by MLB players may not correspond with a) getting to 1B as quickly and beating out hits -- LH batters always get that extra 0.1 becuase they get "a free step" toward first b) SB success, obviously. Witness Herb Washington, and Gathright.

Ichiro is fast -- but he looks even faster because he starts running at that nanosecond of contact. He's amazing that way.

I think it was Cal Ripken who said the fastest -- and scariest -- guys he saw coming down the line was Bo Jackson. But Jackson was a rotten basestealer who succeeded by sheer (and amazing)raw skill.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:30 pm

Lot of young kids don't even know who Bo Jackson is, but he was the best athlete I ever saw, period. If he'd quit football and devoted himself to baseball and improved his plate discipline/got more experience, he'd probably have been one of the best players in history. He'd be like Andrew Jones, only a lot faster and stronger.

I saw the Football game where he broke his leg/hip and it was Theismanesque ugly. You knew he was finished the second it happened.

Deon Sanders had awesome talent too, but he was SO MUCH better at football I can see why he chose that. But for Jackson, running backs on average have such short careers, he'd have been better off just playing baseball.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Cool Papa Bell was the fastest player ever. "He could turn out the lights and be in bed before the room got dark" or something like that
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Trot Nixon » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:54 pm

Gathright can jump over a car
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:54 pm

I also heard he could hit a line drive up the middle and get hit by it when he slid into second... a bit of hyperbole I expect but people don't make up stories like that unless you can fly
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:07 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Cool Papa Bell was the fastest player ever. "He could turn out the lights and be in bed before the room got dark" or something like that

If we're gonna talk Negro League Baseball then you have to toss in Oscar Charleston.

From Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract:

1. Oscar Charleston. Regarded by many knowledgeable people as the greatest baseball player who ever lived. Buck O'Neil said that Willie Mays was the greatest major league player he ever saw, but Charleston was better. According to O'Neil, "Charlie was a tremendous left-handed hitter who could also bunt, steal a hundred bases a year, and cover center field as well as anyone before him or since...he was like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and Tris Speaker rolled into one."

Bernie Borgan, a longtime scout for the St. Louis Cardinals who signed many major league players, said that Charleston was the greatest player he ever saw, including Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb.

Cuban pitcher Juanelo Mirabal said that Charleston "would try to beat you up any way he could. Just like Ty Cobb, rip your pants or your legs, just to beat you out of a game. To me, I don't know which one was best. Both of them were great."

Dave Malarcher said he "could play the whole out outfield by himself" and Paige said "He used to play right in back of second base. He would outrun the ball. You had to see him to believe him."

Hollis (Sloppy) Thurston barnstormed against him, said that he hit a home run every night.

Jimmy Crutchfield said "If I had to pick the best player I saw in my time, it would be hard to pick between Charleston and Josh Gibson."

John Johnson of the Kansas City Call wrote that Charleston was so fast that "he makes Ty Cobb look like a runner with a handicap"

Charleston was a barrel-chested man with thin legs, like Ruth. He was intense, focused, bright, and did everything exceptionally well.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:18 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I think it goes Gathright, Logan, Pods, Pierre, Reyes, FGuzman, Roberts, Figgins, Crawford, Freel, Taveras, Ichiro, Furcal, Drew...

I remember when Drew went to the Dodgers in his 1st week or so and hit a triple and somebody timed how fast he went from home to 3rd and it was crazy fast. He doesn't run because of fear of injury.

I think Patterson has to be in there somewhere.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:48 pm

I'd also say Reyes is up there, but then again, I'd say I've seen the most of him.

Also, no mention of Mark Teixiera? What gives? :-B

The lightside shall prevail...

Oh, and go Dodgers!
no1cowboysfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hwiggen » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:01 am

Corey Patterson was one of the fastest players I've seen before he got hurt.
hwiggen
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -15)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers