Return to Baseball Leftovers

Letting go of a known name...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Letting go of a known name...

Postby CeeLoGreen » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:46 am

People get attached to names like M. Mulder, F. Garcia, A. Pettite, G. Maddux. When do you know it's safe to cut bait on a guy like this???

I try not to be stupid and pick up a hot player who has no track record, but players with good upside like Hamels, Liriano, Billingsly, Jerry Weaver, and the like can offer much more sometimes.

It's a fine line you have walk. Just curious as to what other people go through when deciding to let go of a decent name.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Letting go of a known name...

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:47 am

CeeLoGreen wrote:People get attached to names like M. Mulder, F. Garcia, A. Pettite, G. Maddux. When do you know it's safe to cut bait on a guy like this???

I try not to be stupid and pick up a hot player who has no track record, but players with good upside like Hamels, Liriano, Billingsly, Jerry Weaver, and the like can offer much more sometimes.

It's a fine line you have walk. Just curious as to what other people go through when deciding to let go of a decent name.

I would hold onto Pettitte and Garcia of the group, but they have always been 2 of my personal favorites. When did Jered Weaver change his name to Jerry?
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby Tiki Barber's Barber » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:52 am

If I'm certain a player is not just in a slump, then I would try to trade him before I drop him.
Tiki Barber's Barber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CadensDad » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:19 am

Pettitte is heating up, his first half slump seems to be over. I'd hold on to him and maybe Garcia, but Maddux seems done for now.
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby CeeLoGreen » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:26 am

Im saying players LIKE these. Just wanted to see what motions people go through when determining whether to cut a guy like this.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby warrick95 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:49 am

CeeLoGreen wrote:Im saying players LIKE these. Just wanted to see what motions people go through when determining whether to cut a guy like this.

Try to sell them based on their name...see if anyone will take a shot. Only then should you consider flat out dropping them.

If based on your research and opinion, you believe that releasing them for youngsters is the right move, go ahead and do it.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:43 am

Yeah, I hear ya - it was torture trying to figure out who to drop to grab Lester and then Billingsley (not sure how I ended up with both of them) - I decided to drop Anthony Reyes first, figuring a prospect-for-prospect swap, but then I was debating between guys like Zach Duke and Austin Kearns for Billingsley... I ended up deciding that Duke was not going to be turned around quickly in a trade, and he wasn't going to help me much, especially in wins, so I dropped him to waivers. Now I have to go figure out how to get Reyes back before someone scoops him up!
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:20 am

Send an email out saying that player is available and that you are seeking offers. Let owners bid.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby pangbones » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:33 am

It is a fine line, and sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Sometimes you just have to be lucky. I don't make hasty moves, and sometimes that hurts me, but more than not it behooves me. Last year I hung onto Bonds way too long, and missed out on Ensberg. But I was patient with Zito last year, and have been patient with Pettitte this year, and it seems Pettitte's been much better of late. There isn't any process I use when deciding whether or not to cut a player. I collect as much information as I can on the palyer, and make the best decision I can at the time.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:07 pm

I usually bash them publicly and then cut them
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero