Return to Baseball Leftovers

E. Santana deal could Hinge on Saunders/Colon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

E. Santana deal could Hinge on Saunders/Colon

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:51 pm

Thought this was interesting from mlbtraderumors.com

Today comes word from Halos Heaven that any deal of righty Ervin Santana will hinge on the performances of Bartolo Colon and Joe Saunders.

Slowed by a couple of surgeries in his career, Saunders is putting it together in Triple A for the first time. He's got a 2.51 ERA and 1.12 WHIP in 13 starts this year. He'd slot into the rotation in place of Santana. The Angels can deal from their strength, as this rotation could become:

Bartolo Colon
John Lackey
Kelvim Escobar
Jered Weaver
Joe Saunders

I played with and against Joe Saunders. He's @ about 90-93 with pretty sick movement on his fastball. And he's a lefty.

He was on the Springfield, VA team that won the Little League World Series
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:59 pm

The Angels could definitely use a lefty starter. What I've heard, the plan is, Saunder gets called up some time after the all-Star break and will come out of the bullpen because J.C. Romero (their spot lefty) hasn't been what they'd hoped, and then 2007, Saunders would go into the rotation barring an SP injuries this year.

One thing is for sure, having too many good young SPs is a problem most teams would love to have.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Re: E. Santana deal could Hinge on Saunders/Colon

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:38 am

acsguitar wrote:Thought this was interesting from mlbtraderumors.com

The Angels can deal from their strength, as this rotation could become:

Bartolo Colon
John Lackey
Kelvim Escobar
Jered Weaver
Joe Saunders

where is jeff?
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby mrider » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:42 am

The pen maybe. I sord of think that the Angels should do what the Diamondbacks did with Ortiz. They are going to have to pay him regardless of where he is. He is only holding Jered back who is clearly the better pitcher so maybe they should send him down or just trade him and pay for him. I'm sure the Jays would swap Hinske for him if the Angels paid for most of his contract.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:51 am

It's no guarantee Sanders is ready for prime time yet. blowing away minor leaguers and doing well in the show aren't always the same thing.

Frankly, with the risk of injuries, I wouldn't mind the ANgels having 6 quality starters on the roster. It can allow you to let a starter skip a start or two to stay fresh late in the season, and when a starter is getting rocked early in the game, you can yank him fast and let the 6th guy eat innings and give the offense a chance to make up the deficit if he pitches well, worst case, it saves you from throwing nearly your entire bullpen in a game you're probably going to lose anyway.

And besides Shields and K-Rod, the Angels bullpen hasn't been impressive at all, and SHields and K-Rod can't carry the whole load.

It might also allow Saunders to ease his way into the show by coming out of the bullpen in games where we're already behind so he can't blow a game.

I'm also highly reluctant to trade Jeff because of the brother thing, at least right now. Also, the second Jered started dealing, Jeff started pitching a LOT BETTER, so why not start both brothers to showcase Jeff at his best.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Return to Baseball Leftovers