Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper rule advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:12 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I'd do a snake draft. Bad teams can become good teams very quickly if they grab a last round guy that becomes a star.

Just curious what you do if the guy ends up with multiple keepers that are first rounders though. Let's say in year 1 I take Pujols in the first, Crawford in the 2nd and Utley in the 3rd (not sure you could get these guys in those rounds but this is just an example anyways). With the 2 round surcharge you're talking about Pujols, Crawford and Utley would all require first round picks. Do you allow the person to only keep one of them? Do you allow them to keep all 3 and just take the best pick available away (in this case a 1st, 2nd and 3rd)? I'm not sure how you would handle that. Also, is this a cumulative thing where if I draft a guy in the 10th round in year 1 does he then cost me an 8th in year 2, a 6th in year 3 and so on or does he stay as an 8th permanently?

Highest available pick gets taken, so if you have three first rounders, it's 1, 2, 3. Yes, it's cumulative. In your example, 10th round year 1, 8th year 2, 6th year 3, and so on. Makes it kind of like the 6 year rule before free agency in real baseball.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -61)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:21 pm

noseeum wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:I'd do a snake draft. Bad teams can become good teams very quickly if they grab a last round guy that becomes a star.

Just curious what you do if the guy ends up with multiple keepers that are first rounders though. Let's say in year 1 I take Pujols in the first, Crawford in the 2nd and Utley in the 3rd (not sure you could get these guys in those rounds but this is just an example anyways). With the 2 round surcharge you're talking about Pujols, Crawford and Utley would all require first round picks. Do you allow the person to only keep one of them? Do you allow them to keep all 3 and just take the best pick available away (in this case a 1st, 2nd and 3rd)? I'm not sure how you would handle that. Also, is this a cumulative thing where if I draft a guy in the 10th round in year 1 does he then cost me an 8th in year 2, a 6th in year 3 and so on or does he stay as an 8th permanently?

Highest available pick gets taken, so if you have three first rounders, it's 1, 2, 3. Yes, it's cumulative. In your example, 10th round year 1, 8th year 2, 6th year 3, and so on. Makes it kind of like the 6 year rule before free agency in real baseball.

Yep..even really good players would eventually get too expensive. But if you can find 4 legit top of the first round guys then you're actually getting quite a steal there.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:28 pm

One additional thing that we have done is include inflation for first round picks as well. In year 2, keeping a prior first round pick costs your first plus 11th round pick. You then get a compensatory pick at the end of the draft to fill out your roster.

If you keep 2 first rounders, you would lose 1st, 2nd, 10th and 11th round picks, etc, etc.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:30 pm

mak1277 wrote:One additional thing that we have done is include inflation for first round picks as well. In year 2, keeping a prior first round pick costs your first plus 11th round pick. You then get a compensatory pick at the end of the draft to fill out your roster.

If you keep 2 first rounders, you would lose 1st, 2nd, 10th and 11th round picks, etc, etc.

Ahhh, that makes sense and takes care of the 4 superstars loophole.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby dannahann » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:12 pm

mak1277 wrote:One additional thing that we have done is include inflation for first round picks as well. In year 2, keeping a prior first round pick costs your first plus 11th round pick. You then get a compensatory pick at the end of the draft to fill out your roster.

We use a contract year system in which the lower finishing teams getmore to spend to either keep or takeover others keepers. However, if we go to a draft inflation model I'd for sure try and implement something similar to mak's league. Great Idea ;-D
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby noseeum » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Nice one.

Mak, what kind of draft do you use? All snake?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BritSox » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:29 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:

The solution i always thought of as standard was that you could only keep one first rounder. As you only draft one, shouldn't be a problem. Lower round keepers, if you keep more than one from the same round (due to a trade) one of them counts a round higher.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:35 pm

noseeum wrote:

Nice one.

Mak, what kind of draft do you use? All snake?

We do use all snake. When we started the keeper league, we considered doing 1-9, 1-9, 1-9, 9-1 and then starting to snake in the third round (like you originally were proposing).

Instead, we decided to do a draft lottery though, rather than simply slotting people in 1-9 based on their finishing records. Each of the bottom 3 teams (9-team league) has a chance to get the first draft slot. After that, we go in reverse order. Because of this, we decided on all snake for the draft.

We went with the "lottery" system to prevent someone from completely punting to guarantee a last place finish and #1 draft pick.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:37 pm

BritSox wrote:

The solution i always thought of as standard was that you could only keep one first rounder. As you only draft one, shouldn't be a problem. Lower round keepers, if you keep more than one from the same round (due to a trade) one of them counts a round higher.

I've also played in leagues where this is the case. I personally don't prefer it though, because there are definitely situations where you can trade for a second #1 pick during the year. If that's the case, I don't believe you should ever be barred from keeping him. Just personal preference though.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby noseeum » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:37 pm

BritSox wrote:

But over time, you could end up with three at that "value". Like this:
Say this year I drafted a guy in round 6 and another in round 8. Let's say these two become bonafide top 10s over the next year. Next year, they cost me 4 and 6. 2008, 2 and 4. 2009, 1 and 2. 2010, 1 and 2 (or as Mak suggested, some additional lower round costs too.)

So anyone you keep for multiple years will eventually cost you a 1st round pick to keep.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers