Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Chavez's decline..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:08 am

If you've ever had tendonitis, you'll know why he's sucking...
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:20 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:If you've ever had tendonitis, you'll know why he's sucking...

Yea he's said that he has no strength in his arms right now. It's both arms at that.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)

Postby SuperSlugger360 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:34 am

I see, I see. Thanks FBC for the update.

Eric Chavez started off so well and it really made me happy to own him. Then, it looks like just injury and injury has totally banged up his body. Didn't know about this. Thanks guys. Before I was gutting it out with this guy, figuring that he was basically a second half player. Now with the injuries, I got it the actual reason now. Now I won't feel guilty to bring him to my bench, haha.
SuperSlugger360 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Euclid » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:39 am

i hope he just goes to the dl so that he can use the allstar break as part of his dl stint and get a little healthier

i would rather him miss 2 or 3 weeks if it helps him heal at all then see him try to make due the rest of the season

i don't get why the A's don't DH him more, especially while Thomas has been out
Euclid
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:57 am

Chavez has always been kind of streaky anyway. If a DL stint will really help, they should do it at the AS break because the AL West is likely going to be close at the end. The Mariners are rolling and everybody is in distance of making a run.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby pangbones » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:15 am

Euclid wrote:i don't get why the A's don't DH him more, especially while Thomas has been out

Because they need his Gold Glove in the field!!

I kind of hope they DL him too. Get him healthy, then he can start hitting well again. He was primed for a big year before all the injuries hit. I can't bring myself to bench him.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby ScrappyDoo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:07 am

Granted he is good with the glove but in terms of fantasy he is extremely overrated. I cant believe I got suckered into drafting him in the 10th round, I thought it was a steal.

Everyone talks him up to being a stud 3B but his stats arent that impressive.

Over his career, his 162 game average looks like this, 93 R 30 HR, 101 RBI 6 SB .273. And this doesnt factor in injury and rest days.

Hes been consistent but never very impressive. These are his season highs. R-94, HR-34, RBI-114, SB-8, Avg-.288. Even if you combined all his best years in each statistic hes good but nothing that impressive. He consistently performs at a level a little higher than WW pickups, yet he is heralded as a stud.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:32 am

ScrappyDoo wrote:Granted he is good with the glove but in terms of fantasy he is extremely overrated. I cant believe I got suckered into drafting him in the 10th round, I thought it was a steal.

Over his career, his 162 game average looks like this, 93 R 30 HR, 101 RBI 6 SB .273. And this doesnt factor in injury and rest days.

Hes been consistent but never very impressive. These are his season highs. R-94, HR-34, RBI-114, SB-8, Avg-.288. Even if you combined all his best years in each statistic hes good but nothing that impressive. He consistently performs at a level a little higher than WW pickups, yet he is heralded as a stud.

Couldn't agree with you more. He never puts it all together like most think he will. Sure he may put together 1 or 2 very good seasons in the future but I'm not going to draft him thinking he will.

He is what he is.......

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby pangbones » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:30 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:Granted he is good with the glove but in terms of fantasy he is extremely overrated. I cant believe I got suckered into drafting him in the 10th round, I thought it was a steal.

The 10th round was a steal. You're going to compare him to WW pickups?? Give me a break. The guy consistently puts up 90 runs around 30 HR's and 100 RBI. Last year he started out too slow to recover enough to top 30 HR, and the year befoer that he put up 29 while missing over 6 weeks with the hand injury.

There are only 4 other 3B I'd take over him. He is what he is, a slow starter who usually puts up his best production in the 2nd half of the season. Thats why I rarely draft, I just trade for him in early May!!

Maybe I just overate him. I may, but I think you're severely underating him. I do know that I've won my league 2 years in a row with E Chavez!! B-)
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby cordscords » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:59 pm

10th round?

That's a steal. I drafted Chavez in the 5th in my 14 team league expecting .275-.280, 30 HR, 100 RBI, 90 R, 5 SB

I still think he can put together a very productive 2nd half and help owners out down the strech.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers