Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tom Gorzelanny???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tom Gorzelanny???

Postby jdsun1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:32 am

Anyone know who this guy is or anything about him? My league is very deep and I like to think I know about any new pitchers in the league. However, some guy just picked up Tom Gorzelanny and I have never heard of him before.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:24 am

LHP for the Pirates. Probably up for good now that Perez has pitched himself out of the majors. Completely dominated AAA ball this year with a 2.35 ERA, 0.94 WHIP and 8.5 K/9. Great slider, low 90's fastball plus a changeup. Allowed only 1 ER in his last 20 innings at Indianapolis. Looks to start Saturday vs. Bonderman and the Tigers. Probably a decent choice for NL-only and deep mixed. I guess it's not inconceivable that he could initially do what Duke and Maholm did last year when they were called up. But a couple of the projections I've seen for him suggest an ERA over 4.00 and a WHIP around 1.40 or higher. Hard to say, but maybe worth a gamble if you can afford it.
Last edited by The Big Train on Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby ravenmad22 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:24 am

He's really come on the scene this season in the minors. Hard throwing lefty with pretty good control. Has been outstanding in AAA, though he really wasn't on a lot of top 100 prospect lists. Has seen his stock rise a lot with strong pitching this year. Has a chance to come out and be effective immediately. Not #1 starter upside, but certainly a good #3 is possible for him.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdsun1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:36 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess this guy is a decent grab if you really need some pitching help and like I said my league is very deep in pitching. However I noticed is record is 6-5 so I'm guessing that he didn't have too much run support?
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby joeklopfenstein » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:34 am

Has some control issues, though he's improved a lot over the past few years. Fastball is typically between 91 and 93 with great movement, can hit 96, dominating slider is his out pitch, can throw 5 pitches (fastball, slider, change, splitter and curve) and generally keeps the ball in the park.
Daniel Cabrera will win 20 games with a 3.00 ERA and 1.25 WHIP!
Oliver Perez will win 15 games with a 2.75 ERA and 1.15 WHIP!
Ron Villone will take over as Yankees closer and save 55 games!
Sleeper of the month: Brandon Duckworth!
joeklopfenstein
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:02 am

jdsun1 wrote:However I noticed is record is 6-5 so I'm guessing that he didn't have too much run support?

That's exactly right. His Triple-A team was very poor offensively.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WittyC » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:33 am

I grabbed him in my 12-team mixed league. With the success Pirates' pitching prospects have had, he seems like a good gamble to me.
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby dyuen87 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:45 am

mak1277 wrote:
jdsun1 wrote:However I noticed is record is 6-5 so I'm guessing that he didn't have too much run support?

That's exactly right. His Triple-A team was very poor offensively.

he'll fit right in with the Pirates. O:-)
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby Another Blown Save » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:02 am

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it again

Player A: LHP 15GS 92.2 IP 2.54ERA/0.99WHIP 89K/26BB
Player B: LHP 16GS 108 IP 2.94ERA/1.21WHIP 66K/23BB

Player A is Gorzelanny with Indianapolis
Player B is Zach Duke with Indianapolis before getting called up.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:23 am

His minor league numbers look really good. From the scouting reports people are putting up here I think he's worth a pickup in a dynasty if you've got anyone expendable. I'd want to watch a start or two at the major league level to try and decide whether he's worth a pickup in other formats. I'm actually going to record his first start tomorrow so I can watch it myself...his minor league numbers are good enough to warrant a look plus I just traded for Bonderman in my keeper league so it'll be fun to watch the new guy on the team and either celebrate his greatness or grumble about how he must not like his new team. ;)
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers