Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tom Gorzelanny???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:25 am

One positive to note also...he's already on Yahoo's player list, so he should be a free agent already in these leagues.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:17 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:His minor league numbers look really good. From the scouting reports people are putting up here I think he's worth a pickup in a dynasty if you've got anyone expendable. I'd want to watch a start or two at the major league level to try and decide whether he's worth a pickup in other formats. I'm actually going to record his first start tomorrow so I can watch it myself...his minor league numbers are good enough to warrant a look plus I just traded for Bonderman in my keeper league so it'll be fun to watch the new guy on the team and either celebrate his greatness or grumble about how he must not like his new team. ;)

The problem with waiting for the pickup, as always, is that someone else who's desperate for pitching (see: myself in my H2H $ league) will jump on him before he gets a couple of starts.

mak1277 wrote:One positive to note also...he's already on Yahoo's player list, so he should be a free agent already in these leagues.

So true... nice to be able to pick him up without wasting waiver priority! ;-D
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby jnormy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:18 pm

WittyC wrote:The problem with waiting for the pickup, as always, is that someone else who's desperate for pitching (see: myself in my H2H $ league) will jump on him before he gets a couple of starts.

mak1277 wrote:One positive to note also...he's already on Yahoo's player list, so he should be a free agent already in these leagues.

Something weird about that... I just tried to pick him up off the "Status Changes" page where he's listed, and I got the following error message: • This player is not valid in your league. (Error #178)

I noticed he hasn't officially been given a position by Yahoo yet -- just says (Pit -) after his name. Is that why he can't be picked up at this time? I'm in a keeper points league, but I don't think any of our custom settings should make picking him up a problem at this point, unless it's that lack of a position issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 31)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:23 pm

jnormy wrote:
WittyC wrote:The problem with waiting for the pickup, as always, is that someone else who's desperate for pitching (see: myself in my H2H $ league) will jump on him before he gets a couple of starts.

Something weird about that... I just tried to pick him up off the "Status Changes" page where he's listed, and I got the following error message: • This player is not valid in your league. (Error #178)

I noticed he hasn't officially been given a position by Yahoo yet -- just says (Pit -) after his name. Is that why he can't be picked up at this time? I'm in a keeper points league, but I don't think any of our custom settings should make picking him up a problem at this point, unless it's that lack of a position issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Must be something in the league settings since someone added him today in my league. Do you have any generic P slots?
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby jnormy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:27 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
jnormy wrote:

Must be something in the league settings since someone added him today in my league. Do you have any generic P slots?

Our settings just list SP and RP for pitching roster spots, but also BN for bench. Dang, wish I could grab him, but that stupid message keeps coming up. I'll keep trying. I just have a feeling since Yahoo doesn't list a position for him, he can't be slotted into our rosters. (Maybe that's why no one else has grabbed him yet; it IS a deep league with active owners.) Thanks anyway. :~(
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 31)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:32 pm

jnormy wrote:Our settings just list SP and RP for pitching roster spots, but also BN for bench. Dang, wish I could grab him, but that stupid message keeps coming up. I'll keep trying. I just have a feeling since Yahoo doesn't list a position for him, he can't be slotted into our rosters. (Maybe that's why no one else has grabbed him yet; it IS a deep league with active owners.) Thanks anyway. :~(

Yep, I would say he'll have to get SP or RP eligibility before you can pick him up.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:10 pm

haha thats funny that you can't pick him up yet, especially cause i believe it takes 3 starts to gain SP eligibility. Well anyway i picked him up this weekend in a head to head league because i need help in Ks and my ERA and WHIP are shot this week. Lets see how he does...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby BoogieKnights » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:28 pm

I can't figure out what the heck is going on with Gorzelanny on Yahoo.

In one of my leagues, he's listed as a player and is already on somebody's team. However, in my Yahoo Plus money league, he's not listed at all, anywhere, even if you search for his name.

Anyone know what the deal is?
BoogieKnights
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:31 pm

He's pitching against Detroit first start. Pick him up if you will, but I wouldn't start him.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:49 pm

Everything I know about him has been posted. He is the "next big thing" to come up for the Bucs. I think I saw him pitch once for the Pirates last year...didn't do well. Gorzo said he was very nervous. Tracy says that he is very relaxed for this call-up, so at least he has some confidence going in...and how can you not be when you have those lines in AAA.

I hope he does well, but I'm not holding my breath seeing as though he's going against the red-hot Tigers. Still, in deep leagues he is probably worth a pick-up if you need it. I doubt Perez will be back up for a good while.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers