Return to Baseball Leftovers

Radical strategy shift - Need advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looks fine

Postby freeling_prideful » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:39 pm

Esp. w/ Clemens coming back, you'll be solid for the rest of the year. Don't punt the starting cats.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:43 pm

I don't see any reason to get rid of Clemens, Smoltz or Olsen at this point.

Hoping to win ERA by using only relievers is pretty much impossible. One bad outing when you have so few innings will kill both your WHIP and ERA numbers, so I would advise against this strategy.

You'll be getting Sheets back soon, and I stil think he can have a good second half. Smoltz, Sheets, Clemens, in an NL only league? That's not too shabby. Only nine teams, but still, that's solid.

Don't give up yet.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -61)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:04 pm

noseeum wrote:Hoping to win ERA by using only relievers is pretty much impossible. One bad outing when you have so few innings will kill both your WHIP and ERA numbers, so I would advise against this strategy.

He's doing this over an entire year in a roto league though. A single outing isn't going to hurt him at all.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:06 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:i was just wondering how you ended up with a staff like that, surely you didn't draft that...

My draft went:
Sheets
Lowry
Lieber
Maddux (now on the WW)
Ryan Madson (gone)
Odalis (gone)
Clemens

It just so happened that almost all my pitchers drafted have been crap. I have historically gotten by with drafting offense heavily and picking up scraps for pitching (I drafted Doug Davis and Webb in the 12th and 18th rounds last year).

The offense part worked well this year, unfortunately pitching went way faster than I thought it would in the draft and I got stuck with these gems.

I guess I should at least wait and see if I can get a healthy Sheets back. I am just really impatient with my pitching right now and thought I could get into second place overall with this "new" strategy.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:07 pm

Please post your entire roster for help, including the bench of the offense.

You are not going to get wins from Smoltz. Unfortunately, the Braves are awful, and the bullpen is worse. Is there any rookies on the waiver you could possibly pick up, i.e. Anthony Reyes? If I were you, I would not hesitate in dropping Coffey or Lowry for a rookie starter on a good team. Soler is also not that great of an option. Though the offense in Houston has been struggling, once they get it going they can be pretty good, especially in that little box they call home.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:09 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
noseeum wrote:Hoping to win ERA by using only relievers is pretty much impossible. One bad outing when you have so few innings will kill both your WHIP and ERA numbers, so I would advise against this strategy.

He's doing this over an entire year in a roto league though. A single outing isn't going to hurt him at all.

Exactly. I've already got 450+ innings pitched, so one or two bad closer outings barely moves my WHIP by .01.

I had toyed with the idea of keeping Clemens and Smoltz in the line-up and rotating Lowry/Olsen based on match-ups and going with the 4 closers I currently have. If I do this though, I would really prefer to upgrade the quality of my closers.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:13 pm

rmande09 wrote:Please post your entire roster for help, including the bench of the offense.

C - B. McCann
1b - P. Fielder
2b - B. Phillips/F. Sanchez
3b - D. Wright
SS - J. Rollins
OF - L. Berkman
OF - A. Kearns
OF - A. Rowand/P. Wilson
Util - J. Kent

SP - J. Smoltz
SP - R. Clemens
RP - M. Gonzalez
RP - T. Saito
P - J. Julio
P - S. Olsen
P - A. Soler

B - L. Milledge, T. Gorzellany, T. Coffey, N. Lowry

DL - B. Sheets, J. Lieber, M. Alou

rmande09 wrote:Is there any rookies on the waiver you could possibly pick up, i.e. Anthony Reyes?

Reyes was drafted and held. I picked up Gorzellany today with Alou going on the DL, but that's the best of the young arms on the wire.

rmande09 wrote: If I were you, I would not hesitate in dropping Coffey or Lowry for a rookie starter on a good team. Soler is also not that great of an option.

I don't think dropping Lowry's the way to go yet. I agree that Soler stinks...he's gone as soon as I need a roster spot.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Sensei » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:17 pm

I decided to use this strategy in one of my public (5x5 roto non-keeper) leagues right away, so I drafted heavily on offense, and grabbed lots of lower-tier closers. I grabbed a huge lead on saves, but my era/whip were horrible with closers like Lidge, Benitez, Baez, etc. Right now I'm using Lidge, Saito, Putz, and Otsuka as closers, and Scott Shields, and my pitching numbers are pretty close to what I planned. 1's in Wins and K's, with 11, 10, and 11 for Saves, Era, and Whip. My offense is pretty nice, averaging 10's to get me in 2nd place in the league. On a side note, at one point I traded for Peavy to let him get me lots of innings with good ratios. Now that my ratios are pretty solid, I plan on trading him soon for even more offense and riding my relievers to hopefully 2nd place. Punting 2 cats makes it almost impossible to win though...the guy in 1st has a well-rounded team and has me by 9 points.
"I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Sensei
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:21 pm

At this point in the season, and with where you are in the standings, it's relatively difficult to keep waiting on a guy (Lowry) who is very inconsistent and posts low K numbers.

How many are you allowed? I apologize if you stated this already.

I would suggest starting Smoltz, Clements, and Olsen, keeping an eye on Gorzellany (good pick-up; give him a few starts to see what he can do). Try finding a guy with a weak 2B situation and package Phillips/Sanchez with one of your closers for a better closer. Try getting a closer on a good team, as, obviously, more opportunities. I'd keep Gonzo and Julio, as they probably have the best chance to keep the closers job the rest of the way out. I;m not sure where Gagne is at, whether he'll be out for the year, etc. Saito has been excellent so far, so I'd assume they'd leave him in. Maybe you could package Lowry with one of the 2Bman to pick up a useful closer.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:50 pm

One recommendation if you do go that route... try to trade for Papelbon and Dempster if you are going to load up on closers... they'll occupy SP pots and you can go with up to 7 closers. Easier said than done, sure, just pointing out the extra flexibility you'd gain.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers