Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weaver getting the call...again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ds209 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:27 pm

If my little brother played on the same team as me and took my spot in the rotation I would beat his @&$. :-)

I dont think Jeff will ever live this down
ds209
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:28 pm

I don't feel sorry for people who get paid $8 mill a year to play a game you played for fun as a kid.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -29)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:30 pm

would be nice if he were a two starter next week. When was the last time he pitched in the minors, anyone know?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -12)

Postby DeadWinterDay » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:01 am

johnsamo wrote:I don't feel sorry for people who get paid $8 mill a year to play a game you played for fun as a kid.

I don't hear this enough. I wish more people would be open about it like this.

Only thing I feel bad is if someone gets a serious injury in sports....anything else is their own doing and like you said it's all for fun.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Smee » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:18 pm

DeadWinterDay wrote:
johnsamo wrote:I don't feel sorry for people who get paid $8 mill a year to play a game you played for fun as a kid.

Only thing I feel bad is if someone gets a serious injury in sports....anything else is their own doing and like you said it's all for fun.

No way. Playing any sport at the professional level is not a game. It's a year round job.

Don't get me wrong, it seems like it would beat the hell out of your average 9 to 5, but professional sports certainly have numerous drawbacks as a career.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Smee wrote:
DeadWinterDay wrote:

No way. Playing any sport at the professional level is not a game. It's a year round job.

Don't get me wrong, it seems like it would beat the hell out of your average 9 to 5, but professional sports certainly have numerous drawbacks as a career.

and you can get targeted by sick fans in public (house egged, kids picked on, dog shaved, etc.). that is if you make a buckner like error....or come up short during big games. but being a millionare 8 times over, you can just buy a new face and a new identity.

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:03 pm

Ok, so how good is the kid, really. Is this rookie ready enough to delivery us consistency at a high rate of play?

He has only 43 IP of AA experience and really didn't pitch at a high level with 19BB, 46K, 1.44 whip, 3.98 ERA for Arkansas. Although he did pitch in a hitters park. Based on AA and A+, his equivalent BB and HR rates are not special.

Then there is his performance in AAA and the pros this season. Some say AA is the best level to evaluate player talent as AAA is filled with older couldn't quite make its. I'll leave that to your own discretion. Regardless, Jared has dominated AAA, despite that one horrible start after being sent down. Domination worthy of believing his majors stats (22K, 4 BB, 2 HR in 26.3 IP) are for real.

So what are the chances he reverts to AA/A+ form or the chances that AAA and his brief stint are a mirage. I want the truth!
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:28 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote: I want the truth!

only time will tell, but he is already better than cole hamels, boof bonser, and chad billingsley based on his mlb resume so far...

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers