Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why did the Red Sox sell Babe Ruth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why did the Red Sox sell Babe Ruth?

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:32 am

I thought this kinda sounded a little too "Modern Yankees" but I figured I would pass it along .. I am researching "Ruth vs. Bonds"

Even those who care little for baseball know the name Babe Ruth. Why would the owner of any franchise in any sport part company with such a monster talent? In 1916, as a Boston pitcher, the Babe led the American League with an Earned Run Average of only 1.75. By 1919, stilll with the Red Sox, he led the league in Home Runs and Runs Batted In. There was no precedent for such prodigious skill as both a pitcher and hitter. It is one reason many fans still consider him the greatest player ever. And how did the Sox reward him? Before the 1920 season, Ruth was sold to the Yankees. And get this: he had played on the World Champion Red Sox starring Ernie Shore, Duffy Lewis, Dutch Leonard, Carl Mays, Wally Schang, Herb Pennock, Joe Dugan, Sam Jones and others. In the twenties, he starred on the World Champion Yankees that featured Ernie Shore, Duffy Lewis, Dutch Leonard, Carl Mays, Wally Schang, Herb Pennock, Joe Dugan, Sam Jones and others. Red Sox team owner Harry Frazee sold them all, and he sold them all to the Yankees. As Hall of Fame Red Sox outfielder Harry Hooper said in Lawrence Ritter's great book The Glory of Their Times, "I was disgusted. The Yankee dynasty of the twenties was three-quarters the Red Sox of a few years before. All Frazee wanted was the money. He was short of cash and he sold the whole team down the river to keep his dirty nose above water." Gee, Harry, tell us how you really feel. Money, greed, short-term gain, whatever you want to call it. Red Sox owner Frazee mortgaged the future for the security of the present. The result? To date, the Yankees have won over two dozen world championships. The Red Sox have yet to win again. The curse of Babe Ruth? Maybe just a shortsighted lack of vision. Sobering reality. Especially for long-suffering Red Sox fans.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:00 am

Dang wrveres..that is a really interesting article...do you have a link to the rest of it?....
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Re: Why did the Red Sox sell Babe Ruth?

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:24 am

wrveres wrote: Why did the Red Sox sell Babe Ruth?

As a Sox fan I don't need a recap of the Babe's greatness (and there is NO comparision with any other MLB player, including Bonds...

But to answer your question, they sold him to earn money ($200,000, I think) to fund the great play, "No No Nanette." I swear, I will re-kill (if that is possible) Harry Frazee in the after life...
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:46 am

If it makes you Red Sox fans feel better, "No No Nanette" was supposed to have been a pretty darned good play! :-D
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:33 pm

Leiter Fan wrote:If it makes you Red Sox fans feel better, "No No Nanette" was supposed to have been a pretty darned good play! :-D

That's what I heard. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:09 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:Dang wrveres..that is a really interesting article...do you have a link to the rest of it?....

I found it on an FAQ ... Not sure of its credability, but it sounds like the Yankees to me .. LOL :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby jack » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:14 pm

Here's an intresting fact i found for all u red soxs fans on the offical lou gehrig site

In early 1925, the Yankees offered to trade Lou Gehrig to the Boston Red Sox for first baseman, Phil Todt, to repay Boston for the blockbuster Babe Ruth trade a few years earlier. The Red Sox turned the Yankees down.
jack

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:43 pm

hey....is this the "make all sox fans feel like S**T day?"
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:06 am

thanks
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:51 am

Nomar4prez wrote:hey....is this the "make all sox fans feel like S**T day?"

Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers