Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds Return This Week Doubtful

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:36 pm

Bernie Williams missed alot of time to be with his father. Bernie's a swell guy though, so it was all good. He also was sucking big time, as his father's health was affecting his play.

I didn't hear anybody questioning him.

Bonds does miss a few too many games for my liking even without this. I can see his owners being a bit frustrated by it, but he shouldn't get heat for it IMO.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:50 pm

DGroundhog wrote:Bernie Williams missed alot of time to be with his father. Bernie's a swell guy though, so it was all good. He also was sucking big time, as his father's health was affecting his play.

Agreed although Bernie had to go to Puerto Rico and Barry could just drive a car. ;-) IMHO, there is no right way to grieve.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:30 pm

I hate Bonds as a person, but no way will I criticize him for taking whatever he needs to grieve.

I have a playoff spot locked up (and hopefully first place), and a bye next week... so he should definitely be back in my lineup for my playoffs. (Praying)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby IchiBalls » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:07 pm

My question is what is he actually doing? Typically when you lose a parent there are a ton of things that need to be taken care of, the funeral, the will, notifying distant relatives and old friends, etc. If he's doing any of this then I could see him taking all week, but if he's just sitting around moping then he'd be better off playing ball.
IchiBalls
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:16 pm

DGroundhog wrote:I think everybody handles their buisness differently. Certainly the Giants having a big lead gives him the luxury of taking an extra day or two. I don't think he's doing anything wrong, evil, or detrimental to the team. It seems quite in line with what a normal person would do.

I guess I'm just a grump for not thinking Barry is being selfish by taking too much time for something as minor as the death of his father.

:-D

Agreed ,
Just to recite a little personal perspective, When my Grandmother, who raised me died. My Boss was pissed that I wasn't back to work the next day. Unfortunetly, his father passed away the next week. And He proceeded to shut down the business for a whole week. ???

It affects everybody differently ...
Barry will be back in time for September, I just hope the retirement rumors are false ..... :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:05 pm

Anonymous wrote:Here's another insensitive observation: Shouldn't he be looking to play as many games as possible if he hopes to catch Hank Aaron? I believe he will but it's def. going to be tight. Even though it's just a week, he might need another few games to get back in the swing as well. Every HR opportunity right now is precious to him.

Bonds made it very public that he didn't care if he caught Aaron. He only wants to beat Ruth's mark. :-/

As to how long he should grieve---Barry should take whatever time he needs. There is no set timetable for something like that. Barry needs to take care of Barry right now.

I bet that surprises a few of you that I actually sympathize with Barry, but I do.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Sevillano » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:21 am

If you're criticizing Barry because of this you're either doing it because you really dislike him or you're looking out for your fantasy team. In either case, you need some perspective.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:53 am

good for barry
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)