Return to Baseball Leftovers

J. Williams (SF) a better option than Ramon Ortiz?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

J. Williams (SF) a better option than Ramon Ortiz?

Postby kcs261 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:04 am

Anaheim's schedule does look brutal down the stretch, while San Francisco has a bunch of easy games. Williams isn't great. But for the last guy in the back of my rotation, is Williams a better option than Ortiz? Nothing else is on the WW except guys like Seo, Lackey, or D. Hermanson (because we start a bunch of SPs in my league). And I don't want to use Ortiz in his terrible matchups in the final month. I'm 1 game up now in a h2h league. This is crunch time. Thanks.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:11 am

Williams has been pretty bad lately. Is there anyone else out there other than Seo/Hermanson/Lackey?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby kcs261 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:28 am

With the way our league is setup where you can start 6 SPs, and you have no starter limts for the year, our league is really the equivalent of a 15 team league when it comes to pitching. There really isn't much else available at all. Here are the choices:

Jeff D'Amico
Elmer Dessens
Aaron Harang
John Halama (yuck)
Pat Hentgen (brutal schedule as well)
O. Hernandez (coming back from an injury in Sept?)
Oliver Perez (in Pitt now, yuck)
Joe Mays
Rick Reed (hurt)
C. Tsao

Everybody else is just too awful to mention. So the question is whether I stick with Ramon (and hopefully I wouldn't need him but once or twice), or whether I go with Williams or one of these characters. The top of my rotation is solid: Pedro, Brown, Mussina, W. Miller, Santana, and Willis. It's just the bottom of my rotation that I'm trying to square away for the stretch. Currently, it's J. Washburn, T. Redding, J. Johnson, A. Eaton, B. Lawrence, and Ramon Ortiz.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jebatzel » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:04 pm

wishing you good luck

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -1)

Postby kcs261 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:57 pm

That bad, huh? No advice? You should really see the scmucks other people are throwing into their rotation. My top 6 beats anybody else's in my league. So I play matchups with the spots at the bottom.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jebatzel » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:02 pm

how many teams in the league?

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kcs261 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:39 pm

It's a 10 team league. But the thing I keep trying to tell people is this: We start 6 SPs each game. Each game runs from Mon-Thur and Fri-Sun. During that time, we play h2h with three different teams at the same time (meaning that we play just under 162 games, like a real season). The point structure works like the old Sandbox system where the team with the most points win. Anyway, with each series we start 6 SPs or RPs -- any combination. But since you can't predict when a a guy will get a save opp, you are usually better throwing 6 SPs at somebody who you know will start, unless you have an elite closer like Gagne or Smoltz who gets constant save opps. Otherwise, you easily end up with 0 points from the guy.

So, with that in mind, everybody hoards starting pitching. You have to in this league if you are going to come up with 6 starters every Mon-Thur and Fri-Sun.

Right now, I have 79 Ws. So with the whole month of September ahead of me, I should end up well over 100 Ws, which is outstanding, just like a real MLB season.

So, my team is kicking arse. I just need a guy at the bottom of the rotation who I may use once or twice, tops, who will help and not hurt me.

I guess if I don't hear back, I'll just go with Williams and throw him against LA in one of SF's two series with them, if need be.

Sorry for the longwinded message. Just trying to explain. Our league is mega-customized. You can't just say 10 team and get an accurate feel of how our league works. :-)
Last edited by kcs261 on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:32 pm

Williams against LA would probably be better than Ramon Ortiz.

Definitely a tough league for pitching.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby jdh » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:35 pm

Orlando Hernandez is not coming back this year. Tsao is probably headed to the DL with a hamstring injury. Reed is probably done for the year, so forget about those 3.

I would grab J.Williams, considering his next five starts are scheduled to be Arizona twice, Milwaukee and San Diego twice. He's a better option than Ortiz who gets lit up usually even when he gets the win. Williams hasn't been that bad lately; he hasn't given up more than 5 ER in any start this year, and more than 3 ER only 3 times.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jebatzel » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:38 pm

Looks like Williams is facing Aizona Saturday.

Randy Johnson is pitching for Ari

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers