Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you miss in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:48 am

Madison wrote:
pkarr5000 wrote:i miss jenny finch

Lol. :-D

Speaking of the ladies......Wouldn't it be cool if baseball teams had cheerleaders. 8-o :-D

They do- in Korea. They stand up on top of the dugouts during the games. Here's pic of some the cheerleaders for the Hyundai Unicorns:

http://multimedia.hd-unicorns.co.kr/mul ... /게릴라-치어3.jpg

Chan Ho Park should have stayed in the Korean league!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DK » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:57 am

i miss when we didn't have expansion everywhere. there isn't enough good pitching to go around, so all these HR's start getting hit. i think we need some de-expansion. start with the tigers. make them all free agents. nobody would notice. then piss off selig and contract the brewers. send sheets to the rangers, sexson to the reds, and jenkins to the devil rays. oh yeah, contract the D-Rays too. after baldelli and huff (and now jenkins), who cares?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PresHabib » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:49 pm

I miss a couple things. Im only 21 so some of this stuff isnt really from my era, but I've read and watched plenty of old baseball stories (Ken Burns 1994 9 "inning" series titled "Baseball"...wow, what a great documentary)

I miss the bad ass pitcher. I hate listening to people wine, and I would LOVE a guy like Bob Gibson to come back and knock 2 or 3 guys on their backside a game without getting ejected.

I miss when it was called Comiskey Park.

I miss Ted Williams.

I miss the days when guys were loyal to their teams, the days before free agency when a team actually meant something more than a bunch of hired guns. I miss not having to worry about Nomar leaving the team he came up with.

I miss the 9 inning starter.

I miss the days when 500 home runs meant something.

I miss Ozzie Smith and Tony Gwynn.

I miss the $1.00 Fenway Frank.

I miss the stolen base art form as well.

I miss 1918 and the days before the sox sold babe ruth. I even miss the day when the Yankees offered the Sox Lou Gehrig as compensation for the Ruth deal a few years later and the Sox refused. (Didn't know THAT did ya?)

I miss Ty Cobb.

Thats a list of just some of the things I wish baseball still had. Hope this brought up some nostalgia for you guys!
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:51 pm

I miss my Reds being a respectable franchise :,-(
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:44 am

I miss Morgana running out and kissing a player. I miss 10 cent beer night ( Cleveland 74 i believe). I miss disco demolition night (79 Chicago). Just some odd moments that stick out in history.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby bolts801 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:25 am

I miss turning it to ESPN one and ESPN two and not seeing a baseball game on t.v. when you know dang well there are 12 teams playing during that time slot.

Instead it's X game bikers, skateboarders, and cheerleading squads from some bizarro Barbie high school. Who gives a rat's ass!
"Before becoming rich and famous. Just try being rich first."

Bill Murray.
bolts801
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PresHabib » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:51 am

bolts801 wrote:I miss turning it to ESPN one and ESPN two and not seeing a baseball game on t.v. when you know dang well there are 12 teams playing during that time slot.

Instead it's X game bikers, skateboarders, and cheerleading squads from some bizarro Barbie high school. Who gives a rat's ass!

I'll second that one. Every night when I want to watch Baseball Tonight with all my favorite sportscasters (excpet rob dibble, he sucks, haha)b all i see is the X Games, and some times even a repeat. I've seen some dude named Yasutoko beat his brother for the gold like 4 times. It's annoying. I WANT BASEBALL TONIGHT BACK!
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West Coast Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:30 pm

The rule book strike zone and the higher pitchers mound. After the 1968 season, when Gibson had the unreal 1.12 ERA, (or was it 1.21?) they lowered the pitcher's mound to give the advantage back to the batters.

Batters have had it easy. Smaller strike zone makes it harder on pitchers. Lower mound makes it harder on pitchers. No wonder HR have been increasing ever since.

Strike zone : From the top of the Knees to "the letters". What a concept! Everything in baseball is so perfect. 90 feet between bases. 60'6" between home plate and pitchers mound. ( I assume they measure from the rubber)

I miss the real double header. None of this "day night double header" That's just two games. Give me the real double header. Starts at noon, ends around 5 or so.

Also I miss complete games. Do you realize that I think it was Juan Marichal and Warren Spahn who pitched a 16 inning 1-0 game. Wow. What's a "quality start"?? like 7 innings. Wonder what their pitch count was for that game. ;-D
West Coast Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LCBOY » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:09 pm

West Coast Fan wrote:Also I miss complete games. Do you realize that I think it was Juan Marichal and Warren Spahn who pitched a 16 inning 1-0 game. Wow. What's a "quality start"?? like 7 innings. Wonder what their pitch count was for that game. ;-D

Marishal had 227 pitches and I believe Spahn had 211 pitches. Everyone talks like this was a good thing. I will guarantee that if a pitcher did this today EVERY fantasy owner would be screaming to kill the manager!
Last edited by LCBOY on Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)

Postby West Coast Fan » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:32 pm

West Coast Fan wrote:
Also I miss complete games. Do you realize that I think it was Juan Marichal and Warren Spahn who pitched a 16 inning 1-0 game. Wow. What's a "quality start"?? like 7 innings. Wonder what their pitch count was for that game.

LCBOY Wrote:
Marishal had 227 pitches and I believe Spahn had 211 pitches. Everyone talks like this was a good thing. I will guarantee that if a pitcher did this today EVERY fantasy owner would be screaming to kill the manger!

And it's not like this was the end of their career, or that their career went downhill after this.

Thanks for the information. Man, over 200 pitches! ;-D
West Coast Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers