Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you miss in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:57 pm

pkarr5000 wrote:i think they'd get smacked in the head by foul balls everyday :-D

They'd get smacked every day with balls, I'm sure. Right on the chin. :-D

Surfs up wrote:I miss players playing for the love of the game.There aren't nearly enough guys like Nomar .

Does Nomar play for the minumum? Sorry. I must have missed that. J/K. If there were more players like Nomar, the games would take like 6 hours each but I do know what you mean.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:47 pm

About making things too easy for the hitters... you obviously haven't been watching the Cubs play lately. For one thing, nothing could make it too easy for these guys to hit (edit: by which I mean the Cubs... they're getting some runs now, but they've stil got offense problems). And for another, the only way you could make it fair for guys to hit against Woody, Prior, Zambrano, and Clement is to make them pitch out of a 4-foot deep hole. Really, Wood has been wild at times, and Clement has his ups and downs, but IMHO, this staff, along with a few other great ones in the league (LA comes to mind), have given some pause to the idea that it's a hitter's game these days.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:21 am

LCBOY Wrote:
Marishal had 227 pitches and I believe Spahn had 211 pitches. Everyone talks like this was a good thing. I will guarantee that if a pitcher did this today EVERY fantasy owner would be screaming to kill the manger![/quote]

And it's not like this was the end of their career, or that their career went downhill after this.

Thanks for the information. Man, over 200 pitches! ;-D[/quote]

I dont know what year that game was, but looking at Marichals career, the innings pitched are chilling, and certaintly dont point to high pitch counts, lots of innings, and arm abuse on 25 and younger, as a good thing, or something to dismiss. At age 24 he pitched 261 innings, at 25 he pitched 321 innings. Thats 583 innings between 24-25. If only they had cared. After age 33, Juan only hit 170 innings once more. His era after 33, took a dramatic nose dive. He basically was out of bb at age 36. At 36 he had 57 innings, age 37 6 innings. They rode the shit out of Juans arm. He basically was done at 34, given his stats. Makes you think had they had lighter workloads, especially when he was young, he might have lasted 5-6 years longer. Think of it this way. would you want Prior done at age 34?
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby PresHabib » Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:31 am

HOOTIE wrote:LCBOY Wrote:
Marishal had 227 pitches and I believe Spahn had 211 pitches. Everyone talks like this was a good thing. I will guarantee that if a pitcher did this today EVERY fantasy owner would be screaming to kill the manger!

And it's not like this was the end of their career, or that their career went downhill after this.

Thanks for the information. Man, over 200 pitches! ;-D[/quote]

I dont know what year that game was, but looking at Marichals career, the innings pitched are chilling, and certaintly dont point to high pitch counts, lots of innings, and arm abuse on 25 and younger, as a good thing, or something to dismiss. At age 24 he pitched 261 innings, at 25 he pitched 321 innings. Thats 583 innings between 24-25. If only they had cared. After age 33, Juan only hit 170 innings once more. His era after 33, took a dramatic nose dive. He basically was out of bb at age 36. At 36 he had 57 innings, age 37 6 innings. They rode the shit out of Juans arm. He basically was done at 34, given his stats. Makes you think had they had lighter workloads, especially when he was young, he might have lasted 5-6 years longer. Think of it this way. would you want Prior done at age 34?[/quote]

Hes got a point...just cuz it happened doesn't make it a good idea. I think had that been 80 years ago though, it would have been different. I think, just from watching old pitching videos, that all those pitches didnt take a huge toll just because of the way mechanis used to be...very little arm snapping, it was more natural. But whatever, thats a good point on the numbers there Hootie. ;-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:38 am

bolts801 wrote:I miss turning it to ESPN one and ESPN two and not seeing a baseball game on t.v. when you know dang well there are 12 teams playing during that time slot.

.... ;-D

West Coast Fan wrote:I miss the real double header. None of this "day night double header" That's just two games. Give me the real double header. Starts at noon, ends around 5 or so.

.... ;-D

demoflauchy wrote:Harry Caray

....me too :,-(
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers