Return to Baseball Leftovers

david riske

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

david riske

Postby bman » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:49 am

should i drope Julio for this guy? Or is it too risky :-D Wedge could change his mind and go back to a committee in cleveland, but julio might not even get his job back. What would you guys do?
bman
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:53 am

who else is on FA?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby DK » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:54 am

oh, and put this in trade-keeper-waiver questions next time. ;-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby bman » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:02 am

no other closers are on FA really, but what do you think about this particular transaction?
bman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bman » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:07 am

kolb, pollitte, marte....
hidalgo, ed. martinez, ibanez
bman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:19 am

Out of the other closers on FA, only Kolb is another one you'd want to consider. He apparently is the primary closer in the Brewers committee and getting most of the saves. That said, Wedge has announced that Baez will not close again this year, so the job is probably Riske's. Also, Hargrove has said that Julio will still be his primary closer. Do you have anyone else that you could drop to get Riske and still keep Julio? That way, you are covered for when/if Julio rights himself and gets the role back.

Forget about Pollitte; he will not be closing again, Aquilino Lopez is the primary closer in Toronto. Marte is the lefthanded side of a lefty-righty closing platoon, which means that he will get less than 50% of the saves. He is best added if you need ERA and WHIP help with the saves being gravy.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:27 am

Wow, I didn't hear that Baez would not close again this year from his manager. That sucks. I'll get to that later.

Riske is a good pick-up. I dumped Baez for him. I'm a bottom feeder for saves, but I don't have 5 RP on my squad. He'll deliver without blowing up. He's probably a better closer option than Baez was, who was solid.

Back to Baez. I think Cleveland has really screwed him over. This guy has a good arm. He could have been a starter, but he went along with management and he converted to be their RP of the future. He really didn't perform that badly as the closer, especially for a young guy in his first full season as the closer. A couple of his blown saves were due to over-use, and you could really see 3 of them coming. I'd chalk 3 up to over-use. Perhaps it was decided he cannot be used 3 consecutive days, and they wanted to go another direction. Other than that, his ERA, WHIP, and number of blown saves not due to over use does not warrant him losing his job.

From a fantasy standpoint I'll use Riske instead and hopefully get better numbers, but from a personal standpoint, I really question Cleveland's plans for him.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby jdh » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:19 pm

I think that it was a combination of the fact that he had 7 blown saves, plus when he blew them he blew them spectacularly, and even when he got saves he generally was putting runners on left right and center. The Indians apparently have to decide whether to offer Baez a contract extension or not in the off season, and Riske will be much cheaper and has pitched much better this year, so they wanted to see what he could do with the closer's job so they know if they can let Baez go or not and save some money.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers