Return to Baseball Leftovers

Theo Epstein

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Theo Epstein

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:41 pm

I live in Boston so I get alot of this Epstein is God stuff. And yes he did bring a World Series to Boston, so he may very well be god. But why isn't anyone complaining about the moves he made this season? In my opinion he hasn't done anything to help out the Red Sox this year.

Hanley Ramirez and Annibel Sanchez for Lowell, Gonzolez, and Beckett: Hanley has been a great shortstop offensivley and defensivley and now Annibel is contribuating very well for the Marlins. Sure Beckett has 13 wins but any pitcher with a 4.77 ERA could have 13 wins with the Sox, Lowell has been decent but he is 33 years old... and Gonzalez is basically just for defense.

Andy Marte for Coco Crisp and David Riske: Coco has shown that he isn't the leadoff hitter that people think he can be. And honestly he's not much better defensivly than Damon, and Riske well... meanwhile Marte looks to be coming up for Cleveland soon and has been ripping up the minors.

Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena: All Star Bronson Arroyo continues to thrive in the little league park that is Great American Ballpark, while Wily Mo Pena enjoys platooning and bad defense in Boston.

I think the Sox would have been better off if Theo was still wearing that Gorilla suit somewhere far away from Fenway . . .
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Theo Epstein

Postby BritSox » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:54 pm

byfrcp wrote:I live in Boston so I get alot of this Epstein is God stuff. And yes he did bring a World Series to Boston, so he may very well be god. But why isn't anyone complaining about the moves he made this season? In my opinion he hasn't done anything to help out the Red Sox this year.

Hanley Ramirez and Annibel Sanchez for Lowell, Gonzolez, and Beckett: Hanley has been a great shortstop offensivley and defensivley and now Annibel is contribuating very well for the Marlins. Sure Beckett has 13 wins but any pitcher with a 4.77 ERA could have 13 wins with the Sox, Lowell has been decent but he is 33 years old... and Gonzalez is basically just for defense.

Andy Marte for Coco Crisp and David Riske: Coco has shown that he isn't the leadoff hitter that people think he can be. And honestly he's not much better defensivly than Damon, and Riske well... meanwhile Marte looks to be coming up for Cleveland soon and has been ripping up the minors.

Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena: All Star Bronson Arroyo continues to thrive in the little league park that is Great American Ballpark, while Wily Mo Pena enjoys platooning and bad defense in Boston.

I think the Sox would have been better off if Theo was still wearing that Gorilla suit somewhere far away from Fenway . . .

Beckett is a young proven MLBer with great stuff and enormous upside. If you're going to castigate Theo for giving away Marte you also have to give him credit for acquiring him. We needed Someone to play CF. Pena was hitting very well before his wrist injury, and that was always a move for the future rather than this season Whilst Bronson has pitched well, he's in league with is both inferior and unfamiliar with him.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby djacks » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:59 pm

A .265 batting average is "ripping up the minors" !?! 8-o
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:02 pm

byfrcp wrote:Hanley Ramirez and Annibel Sanchez for Lowell, Gonzolez, and Beckett: Hanley has been a great shortstop offensivley and defensivley and now Annibel is contribuating very well for the Marlins. Sure Beckett has 13 wins but any pitcher with a 4.77 ERA could have 13 wins with the Sox, Lowell has been decent but he is 33 years old... and Gonzalez is basically just for defense.

I'll ignore your spelling issues. The Red Sox gave up quality to get quality. They prefer having Gonzo at SS rather than Ramirez. They prefer Beckett to Sanchez (Sanchez is pitching in the NL, so you can raise his ERA quite a bit to comp Beckett). The price for Beckett was reasonable because the Red Sox could take on Lowell's horrible contract, but luckily, he's actually earning every penny of it this year (he makes about what Trot Nixon makes and is more important to the team's success than Trot). Theo would have had to give up MDC or Hansen, too, maybe more, to get Beckett without Lowell's contract. Gonzo was a FA signing, and wasn't a part of that trade. He just happened to be a former Marlin.

byfrcp wrote:Andy Marte for Coco Crisp and David Riske: Coco has shown that he isn't the leadoff hitter that people think he can be. And honestly he's not much better defensivly than Damon, and Riske well... meanwhile Marte looks to be coming up for Cleveland soon and has been ripping up the minors.

First, Coco only played about 2 weeks before he got hurt, but he looked good then. He won't be healed until next year. Regardless, the Red Sox didn't know that WMP would be available in trade to go in CF, so they acquired Coco. WMP + Marte would have been better than WMP + Coco. I agree.

byfrcp wrote:Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena: All Star Bronson Arroyo continues to thrive in the little league park that is Great American Ballpark, while Wily Mo Pena enjoys platooning and bad defense in Boston.

There is no way in hell Arroyo is ever an All Star in the AL. Arroyo would have been what he was coming into the season-- a 4th/5th starter. AL teams knew exactly how to get to him. The NL is a total joke and only they can make Arroyo look like Cy Young.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Morrison8312 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:03 pm

byfrcp wrote:I live in Boston so I get alot of this Epstein is God stuff. And yes he did bring a World Series to Boston, so he may very well be god. But why isn't anyone complaining about the moves he made this season? In my opinion he hasn't done anything to help out the Red Sox this year.

Why is this trade bad right now? Gonzalez is going to win a Gold Glove and he's batting .276...Lowell is having a much better year than everyone thought and Beckett still has 12 wins and is 26. The jury is still out on these two youngsters as they both haven't played a full season yet.

This is a tough one because Marte hasn't been brought up yet and Coco was injured and I still think he hasn't recovered...

We all know about this one. I liked the trade at the time and I still think there's a chance it might pan out. I think you prolly liked it at the time too :-?

He won us a World Series in '04...I think he's done a nice job
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -19)

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:03 pm

I don't think you can slam him for Ramirez\Coco Crisp deals. No one would have predicted that Ramirez would be one of the top leadoff hitters. And most people expected Coco to at least be DECENT (his injury probably has had a major effect, how could one predict that?).

Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo is a little fishy though. :-?
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Ramirez has not been good defensively (14 errors) and has NOT been a good leadoff hitter (.334 OBP). He had a hot start but has slowed down a LOT.

Beckett's upside is through the roof. If he ever learns to pitch, watch out.

Lowell has been a GG 3B and has been very consistent on offense.

Sanchez would struggle mightily in Fenway and the AL. he doesn't have swing-and-miss stuff and is not a GB pitcher. Plus, lets let him make a few more starts before declaring him Cy Young.

Coco has struggled coming back from his injury and Marte has struggled at AAA. We needed a CF more than a 3B, and Coco should become a very good player (still young).

Arroyo for Wily Mo is questionable, but Pena showed a lot of promise filling in for Trot. He will be a cheap alternative in RF if we don't resign Trot for next season. Arroyo is finally regressing to his norm. He has benefitted greatly from the NL but they are adjusting to him and his funky stuff.

We are on pace to win 100 games and win the East for the first time in 8+ years and you're complaining about Theo? Interesting.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby jlfn56 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:27 pm

1.) Beckett is the type of player that can carrhy a team not only all season, but throughout the playoffs. He is a major-league stud in the making....Sanchez is just a blip on the radar right now....wait until he goes around the league for his second time. Sanchez has NOTHING on Beckett......as far as giving up hanley, he hasn't been a great as you are proclaiming.... he's playing decent on a small market team down in florida where there is no pressure to perform.

2.) Bronson Arroyo has been with the sox for a few years now and while he's shown little spurts of great stuff he never and would never have pitched like this in the AL east. No one over there has seen him before and obviously the league is alot weaker than th AL. Pena is a player in the making. Once he learns discipline and consistency in his at bats he can be a 30 100 guy ESPECIALLY in that lineup. Trot will be gone next year and willy mo will be his replacement

3.) Coco Crisp played really well for us before the injury. A wrist injury is tough to comeback from and regain full strength right away. In the coming years we will be in love with coco much like we were with johnny. Crisp is a great young talent and is the redsox leadoff man of the future...... once again you have to give talent to get talent (marte).

The sox are in first place with the best defense in all of baseball (Gonzalez, Loretta, Lowell, Crisp)(thanks theo) and they still have a hell of an offense to boot. Why bash on Theo? This team is better than the 04 team in almost all facets of the game and who do we have to thank????
jlfn56
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:49 pm

The sox are in first place with the best defense in all of baseball (Gonzalez, Loretta, Lowell, Crisp)(thanks theo) and they still have a hell of an offense to boot. Why bash on Theo? This team is better than the 04 team in almost all facets of the game and who do we have to thank????

Except for what wins in the playoffs. It's sure as hell not defense, and it isn't power hitters either. If he's able to get a good pitcher from somewhere he may very well redeem himself, but he's gotten good rookie seasons from Lester and Papelbon otherwsie the Red Sox would be struggling in this division. And I know Clemente and Wells have been injured but I for one didn't expect great things out of either of those guys anyway.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby Morrison8312 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:55 pm

byfrcp wrote:

Except for what wins in the playoffs. It's sure as hell not defense, and it isn't power hitters either. If he's able to get a good pitcher from somewhere he may very well redeem himself, but he's gotten good rookie seasons from Lester and Papelbon otherwsie the Red Sox would be struggling in this division. And I know Clemente and Wells have been injured but I for one didn't expect great things out of either of those guys anyway.

You need two really good pitchers in the playoffs to carry you and we have two former World Series mvp's....What more do you want? lmao
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -19)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers