Return to Baseball Leftovers

Theo Epstein

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:58 pm

Morrison8312 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
The sox are in first place with the best defense in all of baseball (Gonzalez, Loretta, Lowell, Crisp)(thanks theo) and they still have a hell of an offense to boot. Why bash on Theo? This team is better than the 04 team in almost all facets of the game and who do we have to thank????

Except for what wins in the playoffs. It's sure as hell not defense, and it isn't power hitters either. If he's able to get a good pitcher from somewhere he may very well redeem himself, but he's gotten good rookie seasons from Lester and Papelbon otherwsie the Red Sox would be struggling in this division. And I know Clemente and Wells have been injured but I for one didn't expect great things out of either of those guys anyway.

You need two really good pitchers in the playoffs to carry you and we have two former World Series mvp's....What more do you want? lmao

That may be true but it takes more than 2 really good pitchers to get the the playoffs. Keep in mind how many years the Yanks have won the division and how good the Central is. If the Sox fail to make the playoffs by a few games I wouldn't be that surprised.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:19 pm

...Or how about the fact that Theo wasn't the GM when the Beckett deal was made...and for the record, he was strongly against the deal, like myself
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:22 pm

Yea I wouldn't quite believe that Epstein was ever not the GM, Jed and Ben or whoever were calling him every day.

And whie I'm here I might as well Add

Bard for Mirabelli

but let me guess . . .

Bard wouldn't hit against the AL's pitching . . .
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:24 pm

byfrcp wrote:Yea I wouldn't quite believe that Epstein was ever not the GM, Jed and Ben or whoever were calling him every day.

Bard for Mirabelli

but let me guess . . .

...and Loretta
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:25 pm

Bard couldn't catch Wakefield, and if he hit like he has in SD it still wouldn't make up for his defensive liability.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:27 pm

And about the thing where Bronson would be bad against the AL, He has a 2.90 ERA in 31 innings pitched against the Cardinals and Mets, I'm sure it wouldnt be any better against the Orioles and Rays
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:29 pm

rmande09 wrote:Bard couldn't catch Wakefield, and if he hit like he has in SD it still wouldn't make up for his defensive liability.

Well passed balls are only passed balls when there are men on base. But I won't get started on why I think knuckleballers end up hurting their teams in the end.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby byfrcp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:32 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Yea I wouldn't quite believe that Epstein was ever not the GM, Jed and Ben or whoever were calling him every day.

Bard for Mirabelli

but let me guess . . .

...and Loretta

Well I actually liked the orginal trade. I thought Loretta and Bard had alot more value than Mirabelli I just think he paniced when Bard couldn;t handle the knuck, but that takes a little time to get used to.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:34 pm

You also have to look at the moves he DIDN'T make either, what about Manny for A-Rod deal...that deal would have included Lester too and if he made that deal...no world series.

IMO its not his fault that Seanez and Tarvarez didn't work out this year, they had great years last year and just didn't work out...

FINALLY, Sox are in 1st so stop bitching
Thanks chipper!!!!

Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:35 pm

byfrcp wrote:
The sox are in first place with the best defense in all of baseball (Gonzalez, Loretta, Lowell, Crisp)(thanks theo) and they still have a hell of an offense to boot. Why bash on Theo? This team is better than the 04 team in almost all facets of the game and who do we have to thank????

Except for what wins in the playoffs. It's sure as hell not defense, and it isn't power hitters either.

More of pitching is defense than you or most people think. How do you think the Yankee pitchers enjoy a defense of Posada, Jeter, A-rod, Cano, Giambi, and Damon. All of whom are subpar with the glove. Why does the 200 million dollar yankee payroll struggle every year? Why Do pitchers ERAs jump dramatically when going to the Bronx? A good part of that is the horrendous defese.

Here is a simple formula for building a championship team: Get good defensive infielders and a groundball pitching staff.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers