Return to Baseball Leftovers

Theo Epstein

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:35 pm

They are in first place so I wouldn't really complaing. Although yea losing hanley doens't look like a good move.

Arroyo was never gonna pitch well in boston
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:You also have to look at the moves he DIDN'T make either, what about Manny for A-Rod deal...that deal would have included Lester too and if he made that deal...no world series.

IMO its not his fault that Seanez and Tarvarez didn't work out this year, they had great years last year and just didn't work out...

FINALLY, Sox are in 1st so stop bitching

Well, you can't really use the Manny / Rodriguez deal as any vision on the part of Sox management. That was nixed by Selig. Both clubs were all signed on. The only issue was that Rodriguez agreed to take a pay cut in exchange for various licensing rights (basically, the Sox said they wouldn't pay everything but you can't reduce a contract's value under MLB collective bargaining... so this was an attempt to circument that).

But I do agree that a Championship, a division tie for the first time in nearly a decade, and 1st place this year... Theo is doing something right. And, I may add, with a remarkable discipline towards keeping the Sox good for the rest of the decade.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:10 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:You also have to look at the moves he DIDN'T make either, what about Manny for A-Rod deal...that deal would have included Lester too and if he made that deal...no world series.

IMO its not his fault that Seanez and Tarvarez didn't work out this year, they had great years last year and just didn't work out...

FINALLY, Sox are in 1st so stop bitching

Umm...how exactly do you know that it wouldn't have equaled a World Series? A-Rod is a better player than Manny, it could have just as easily worked out for Boston. Not to mention that Epstein didn't turn the deal down, it was canceled because the MLBPA wouldn't allow A-Rod to take a large pay cut to get it done.

That said, keeping Lester was definately a positive since it seems he's going to be a very good pitcher. Epstein has done a good job, I find it hard to believe that Sox fans have much to complain about with him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby BritSox » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:24 pm

byfrcp wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:
byfrcp wrote:Yea I wouldn't quite believe that Epstein was ever not the GM, Jed and Ben or whoever were calling him every day.

And whie I'm here I might as well Add

Bard for Mirabelli

but let me guess . . .

Bard wouldn't hit against the AL's pitching . . .
...and Loretta

Well I actually liked the orginal trade. I thought Loretta and Bard had alot more value than Mirabelli I just think he paniced when Bard couldn;t handle the knuck, but that takes a little time to get used to.

Strongly agree. Every GM makes mistakes, Epstein is at least decent. THe guys he acquired were mostly young, proven MLBers, it's not like he threw the future down the drain for six month of a mediocre starter or anything like thaty.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby nsulham » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote: Epstein has done a good job, I find it hard to believe that Sox fans have much to complain about with him.

You obviously don't know our fanbase then. We're eternally pessimistic. It's our gimmick, remember? :*)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby dc928 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:23 pm

I say he made those deals cuz he has to. He has to get Coco Crisp cuz you need a CF, even if that meant costing you Andy Marte. He has to get Josh Beckett cuz he needs pitching. B Arroyo is an okay pitcher for you at best and you get one of the best raw power guy in Will Mo Pena. Those are all good deals that you need to make. Red Sox is not in the 1st place in the most competitive division for no reason. You can't come back after the fact and say oh you should have hold on to H Ramirez you should have hold on to Andy Marte. Look Red Sox is not a prospect team. Theo can not jusitified not making any deals and put an average talent prospect at CF and not get any pitching. If H Ramirez is in Boston he'd still be in the minors. Andy Marte too. How the heck is that helping you guys.

I am so sick and tired of Red Sox fans bitching this and bitching that. Damn it if you don't like your GM, why don't you trade him to my Angels for our no talent chicken ass GM Stoneman. He would have hold on to all the prospects for you guys.

:-t
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby giants! » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:41 pm

byfrcp wrote:Yea I wouldn't quite believe that Epstein was ever not the GM, Jed and Ben or whoever were calling him every day.

And whie I'm here I might as well Add

Bard for Mirabelli

but let me guess . . .

Bard wouldn't hit against the AL's pitching . . .

Im guessing you didnt watch Bard catch Wakefield, even as a red sox fan. He was completely awful. He had 10 PB in 5 games. Mirabelli for Bard was an excellent move.
Dont be an idiot. Theo is a genious and got you your first world championship in 86 years. He got Ortiz as a cheap free agent. Please tell me you are kidding with this thread.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -157)

Postby jlfn56 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:51 pm

Like I said in a previous post once people start seeing arroyo he will not be the cy young he looks like....

hence tonight against a weak houston lineup he is tagged for 7 earned
jlfn56
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby mikekim2121 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:45 am

Morrison8312 wrote:
You need two really good pitchers in the playoffs to carry you and we have two former World Series mvp's....What more do you want? lmao

Livan Hernandez is also a former WS MVP but I don't see anyone saying he's going to carry anyone in the playoffs.

I think Beckett is a solid pitcher who's still got that sky high potential but he's no ace as of now, not even close.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:04 am

byfrcp wrote:Well passed balls are only passed balls when there are men on base. But I won't get started on why I think knuckleballers end up hurting their teams in the end.

You're talking about a guy who was a Grady Little senior moment away from being the 2003 ALCS MVP.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers