Return to Baseball Leftovers

The start of current pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:05 pm

PresHabib wrote:Blankman, you also make a curious poitn about how hitting should be diluted. Well, ramble is right. Players are in better shape than they once were. Your long ball hitter 10 years ago...Cecil Fielder...your long ball hitter today...Barry Bonds...i mean, steroids are not, thats the reality. Players are in better shape now than they ever were, and that helps hitters more than it does pitchers. Plus, all of the technological advances (pr even just architectural changes) in the game have a stronger effect on hitting than pitching. Juiced ball, smaller parks, better conditioning regiments, etc have all helped hitters, and the fact that those in control are interested in money and offense sells tickets, this will not change. In fact the only change I can remember occuring about pitchers in the last however many years is lowering the mound, which hurts them.

Also, i will tell you that hitting IS watered down. Just because guys can hit the ball out of the park doesnt mean they are better hitters. Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner and Ruth and Gehrig and even later, Ted Williams also had very high averages to go with their home run totals. (im not sure of ty cobb's home run total, but he did hit .400 a couple times, so he was still nasty). Guys today like Adam Dunn and Richie Sexson etc are not necessarily good hitters, just strong guys who can hit the ball far. Like..those guys who are on the golfing long drive competitions...they can drive the ball 400 yards but that doesnt make them good golfers. My point is 30 home runs does not make you a good hitter. A .315 average makes you a good hitter. A .315 average AND 30 home runs makes you terrific, and a great hitter. The combination of that is rare, limited to the likes of Nomar, Manny, Bonds, Helton, Beltran is almost there, Pujols, and guys like that. Dont be fooled into thinking 40 homers makes you a great hitter.


I can't tell whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me :-?
But IF you are trying to tell me that hitters have been helped more than pitchers, I know that, and have said that earlier and brought up the pitching mound issue. I hope the 2nd paragraph isn't addressed to me b/c I know that and haven't said anything that would disagree with that. Good points and I agree ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10559
(Past Year: -211)
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PresHabib » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:09 pm

Saduharo Oh has the home run record of 8 or 900 something. He's a native Japanese and I'm sure that a guy who could that many homers at any level is good enough to play here.

Also, Japanese baseball is probably every bit as good as it is here. Unless there is a significant difference in population I dont see any reason that their league would be worse than ours. I dream of the day when MLB and Japanese league can play each other in a true world series :-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1116
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park

Postby PresHabib » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:19 pm

Blankman, I was just rambling. I honestly dont know who I agree with anymore, these posts are too long, lol. I was pretty much just saying what I think on the issue. I think the only person I've really disagreed with is LCBOY and how he thinks pitching is not watered down.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1116
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:35 pm

PresHabib wrote:Blankman, I was just rambling. I honestly dont know who I agree with anymore, these posts are too long, lol. I was pretty much just saying what I think on the issue. I think the only person I've really disagreed with is LCBOY and how he thinks pitching is not watered down.


Thats what I thought and I must say I've agreed with you on the pitching watered down theory. Whoever said Yankee fans and Sox fans can't get along :-D (for now at least)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10559
(Past Year: -211)
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PresHabib » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:44 pm

blankman wrote: Whoever said Yankee fans and Sox fans can't get along :-D


Oh yeah? talk to me this weekend..or in October, well see who gets along then! Haha, jk.

This has been an intersting thread. After reading all the different thoughts, I really dont see how one cant make the claim that pitching is watered down.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1116
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:55 pm

PresHabib wrote: After reading all the different thoughts, I really dont see how one cant make the claim that pitching is watered down.


I agree :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10559
(Past Year: -211)
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:05 pm

ramble2 wrote:3. Madison, your point about money is, I think, right on the target.


Thanks. ;-D I just didn't think money would be mentioned when I first saw this thread. So far, it really hasn't been talked about much. To me, it's the number one reason why games are more high scoring.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 48715
(Past Year: -5140)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

cron