Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is D. Wells Just Going to the Well .... [i]Ah Contreras[/i]

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is D. Wells Just Going to the Well .... [i]Ah Contreras[/i]

Postby d18Mike » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:17 am

This from AP:

In his incentive-laden contract, Wells already has earned $2,901,538 in bonuses on top of his $3 million salary. He has a chance to get six more starts and would get $183,076.92 more for each of them, a total of $1,098,462. That would raise his Yankees' income for 2003 to $7 million.

Torre hopes Wells isn't pitching in pain just to collect the bonuses.

``If you go out there when you're not healthy for that reason, then I think you're letting everybody down,'' he said.

Wells Last 6 Games: 0-2, 6.43 ERA , 1.71 WHIP

Would it surprise anyone if Wells were simply pitching through pain for the money? He's such a Class Act that he wrote a tell-all book for a few thousand. It doesn't sound like such a stretch.

Regardless, I'm confused about the Yankees starting rotation plans. They are considering droping Wells from the rota for 1-2 starts. They are considering giving Contreras only one more start so he can get used to the bullpen before the Playoffs.

If they are stuck with Weaver and Wells starting, they may not even MAKE the playoffs.

Does anyone seriously think they will pull Contreras from the rotation?
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:21 am

If Contreras stuffs the Sox tonight then the Yanks would be fools to displace him from the rotation just to warm him up for the bullpen. Even if he doesn't do so well, the alternatives are the ailing Wells and the inconsistently explosive Weaver. I think that they will keep him around a little while longer, and if they're going to the playoffs then maybe remove Contreras in the last few weeks if they want him in the bullpen.

Then again, I don't have Torre's phone number so I'm as in the dark as you are.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:09 pm

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Wells is just going for his incentives right now. I don't like saying that, but it seems to be the case.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Return to Baseball Leftovers