Return to Baseball Leftovers

Would this move be FB suicide???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would this move be FB suicide???

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:33 am

For approximately the past month (since his injury has started to bother him), Andruw Jones has basically done nothing but weigh down my team's numbers. I mean, I love the "real" player but we're going into the playoffs now and there are players who are much hotter at bat, not to mention healthier. I'm referring specifically to this Jody Gerut kid with Cleveland, as well as Scott Podsednik (who I already own anyway). What do you guys think of dropping Andruw for Gerut? Or dropping P. Polanco for Luis Rivas, who is also swinging a hot bat as opposed to Polanco's quiet one?

Another factor is that Andruw may be sitting more often in Sept, as the Braves have a huge lead and he needs to be healthy in October.

Before I do anything radical or rash, I wanted to get some input. Let's hear it.

BB
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:26 am

The Yahoo playoffs always bring about these questions...

I'd say the best fantasy players offer the best production at the end of the year overall, but not neccessarily the best for a short period of time. Take last year for example: Would you rather have ARod, Tejada, Nomah, Aurilia, Renteria, or Cabrera at SS? Well Aurilia and Cabrera were the best shortstops in September, and in Yahoo September is go-time, it's the big show, it's the time that counts.

I wouldn't be afraid to drop a stud or good player for a hot player in the Yahoo playoffs. It COULD come back to bite you if you meet the team later in the playoffs who picked up the stud that you dropped, but if you really need everything you can get to win in round 1 for example, go for the hot streaks. The best players in baseball are the best over the entire year overall, but these crappy players can post better numbers for one week.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:50 am

Just a follow-up...I checked waiver priority in the league (top six teams make the playoffs, lower 6 make the consolation bracket. I am currently tied for 3rd). Guy with #1 waiver priority MIGHT pick up Jones but I doubt it -- he makes few moves. Next guy just might pick up Jones though, because he just lost G. Jenkins yesterday. But this guy is buried way down in the standings, in the consolation bracket, so he couldn't really hurt me. Hmmmmmmm...what to do.... :-?
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:48 pm

BB.......It would help if you posted your roster. I would think that there is a better drop candidate than Jones on your team.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby ramble2 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:06 pm

I wouldn't be afraid to go with Rivas, to address your second question. I picked him up when Durham got injured and he's made me very happy. (Of course, given that I had Durham in the 2B spot most of the season, it doesn't take much to make me happy...)

I'd stick with Rivas. The Twins are making a run at the playoffs, and he's got that AL central schedule in his favor too.

Regarding Jones, I'd like to see the rest of your roster. This is my first year in H2H, and I'm having some similar dilemmas.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:13 pm

Thanks Lofunzo, it's now posted below. I hesitate to drop Podsednik or Reyes, because they're both just absolutely on fire lately. Since I made the original post, I reconsidered Andruw's situation and decided to probably drop Odelis Perez instead b/c 1) he can't be trusted on the road and 2) he doesn't pitch at home again for approx. two weeks...even though I hate to drop pitchers going into the playoffs. But I am definitely open to ideas, please let me hear them! Thanks!

League is 12 team, H2H, daily transactions:

C - LeCroy
1B - F. Thomas
2B - P. Polanco
3B - E. Chavez
SS - O. Cabrera
OF -- B. Abreu, C. Beltran, Andruw J.
Util (1 playing slot) - S. Podsednik, J. Reyes

SP - Mussina, T. Redding, Cliff Lee, S. Ponson, K. Rogers, J. Schmidt, Od. Perez, M. Redman, Z. Day, R. Villone, S. Shields, C. Pavano

CL - B. Kim, Riske, Mercker (temp)
DL - Trevor Hoffman
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:21 pm

I have no problem if you drop Polanco for Rivas although Polanco isn't that cold. Can't you also just bench Jones for now, play Pods in the OF and put Reyes at the util spot? Looking at your roster, there is a lot of dead wood on your pitching staff that can be dropped. I would drop Shields MUCH SOONER than I would drop Perez. I also believe that Perez has a start at home on Sunday, even though it is against Colorado. If you feel that you need to make a move now, dropping Jones over Shields would be suicide.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jdh » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:45 pm

You want to drop one of your pitchers before even considering dropping Andruw Jones. Redding, Villone, Cliff Lee, Rogers, Day, Pavano and Shields are all pitchers that I would not feel comfortable starting in h2h playoffs because they are not reliable at all. There's no reason to carry 12 starting pitchers, especially when most of your starters are really weak. Other than Schmidt and Mussina, you don't have any pitchers that you can really trust, so you might be in trouble in the playoffs.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby warrick95 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:24 pm

I agree with JDH, drop one of your pitchers. Here's how I'd rank the ones that might not deserve a roster spot, so you can go from here (best to worst).

Day
Lee
Pavano
Redding
Pavano
Shields
Villone
Rogers

Rogers has been hot lately, but I'd be hesitant starting him and still think he's probably the worst out of your pitchers, although Scot Shields' Detroit start had be scratching my head. Keep Odalis Perez, I'm a believer in him, although others have been pissed off about his recent implosions.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:34 pm

jdh wrote:You want to drop one of your pitchers before even considering dropping Andruw Jones. Redding, Villone, Cliff Lee, Rogers, Day, Pavano and Shields are all pitchers that I would not feel comfortable starting in h2h playoffs because they are not reliable at all. There's no reason to carry 12 starting pitchers, especially when most of your starters are really weak. Other than Schmidt and Mussina, you don't have any pitchers that you can really trust, so you might be in trouble in the playoffs.

I was going to list the "dropable" pitchers on that list but when I saw Shields there, I didn't even need to go further. :-D
Lofunzo

Return to Baseball Leftovers