Return to Baseball Leftovers

CARLOS LEE TO RANGERS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby John Bonzo » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:19 pm

My thoughts:

Lance Nix - .278 Career OB%, Career .250 hitter, 26 Years Old, Worthless against lefties.

Kevin Mench - 30 years old, decent bat, incredibly streaky, servicable, terrible defense.

Fransisco Cordero - 31 years old, ok reliever, struggling this year, always given up a lot of hits/walks.

Nix had promising potential but tanked. Texas had been trying to get rid of Mench for years. I don't think either OFer had a future in Texas anyways. Losing Cordero in the bullpen hurts, but so did all those leads he has blown this year.

I really don't think we gave up all that much For Carlos Lee and one of MIL's OF prospects. The division is weak, we haven't been in the playoffs for a while...why not? In fact, I'd say that Texas got a much better side of the deal. Now lets hope they are working very hard on a deal for some pitching this weekend.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:23 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote::-? looks like a may need to get my sig updated

lol that sux..u only had it for few days too...
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Notice that every Rangers fan in here loves this deal. We all grew sick and tired of watching Cordero blow all of the leads this year...and Nix never living up to his potential. Mench, I will miss, but this trade was great IMO. :-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:34 pm

If I were a Brewers fan I would have expected a real prospect or young pitching for Lee. As it is they got a bunch of AAAA players, but at least they'll fit in nicely on that team.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:37 pm

I'm curious who thinks Tex can resign Lee? I actually think they have a good chance to.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:38 pm

I think this is a good trade for both teams, but if I had to pick a team that came out ahead of the other I'd say the Brewers. Kevin Mench is a very similar hitter to Carlos Lee (their career OPS's are less than .020 apart). Francisco Cordero had also been pitching great since early May in the setup role, and he's the perfect guy to fit into the Brewers' closing role. Unfortunately they had to give up Nelson Cruz, but by making this deal, it definitely doesn't take Miwaukee out of the race.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:41 pm

I have to believe Mench will get flipped before the deadline. I am reasonably certain that he's a free agent after this year also (I haven't confirmed this though).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Danimal » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:43 pm

I'm guessing the Brewers are not done. They usually like to dig up a gem with these trades. I don't see a great gem in the bunch. Cordero might work out, or he might be on the closer trash heap in a few weeks.
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Brew Crew » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:44 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:If I were a Brewers fan I would have expected a real prospect or young pitching for Lee. As it is they got a bunch of AAAA players, but at least they'll fit in nicely on that team.

IMO Lee was not coming back to the Brewers most likely due to money reasons. So in other words we traded Cruz and 2 months or so of Lee for the others. I wouldn't be surprised in the Brewers have another trade idea including shipping off an OF or two. Time will only tell the true value of the Lee trade.
Brew Crew
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:44 pm

mak1277 wrote:I have to believe Mench will get flipped before the deadline. I am reasonably certain that he's a free agent after this year also (I haven't confirmed this though).

He is...but by trading for him this may just be the Brewers' attempt to stay in the wild card race (they are only 6 games back).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers