Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:46 pm

I think this will probably spell the end of Turnbow closing this year. :-[
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pacman » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:48 pm

In light of the trade, if you were a Turnbow owner (still) and F Cordero was on the FA wire, would you drop Turnbow and pick up Cordero? I keep thinking the Brewers might trade Turnbow to a team that will use him as a closer, so I've been hanging onto him.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -20)

Postby byfrcp » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:50 pm

mweir145 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:I have to believe Mench will get flipped before the deadline. I am reasonably certain that he's a free agent after this year also (I haven't confirmed this though).

He is...but by trading for him this may just be the Brewers' attempt to stay in the wild card race (they are only 6 games back).

Umm if they wanted to stay in the Wildcard race don't you think Lee would be a good outfielder to have?
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby Old_Style » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:52 pm

Pacman wrote:In light of the trade, if you were a Turnbow owner (still) and F Cordero was on the FA wire, would you drop Turnbow and pick up Cordero? I keep thinking the Brewers might trade Turnbow to a team that will use him as a closer, so I've been hanging onto him.

i'm not sure if turnbow would be wanted as a closer right now
if he were to get traded he would probably be had to strengthen a potential playoff teams bullpen as a middle reliever.

i don't see turnbow returning as closer this year, especially with the arrival of cordero. take a flyer on cordero if you have the roster space to do so
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -218)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:53 pm

byfrcp wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:I have to believe Mench will get flipped before the deadline. I am reasonably certain that he's a free agent after this year also (I haven't confirmed this though).

He is...but by trading for him this may just be the Brewers' attempt to stay in the wild card race (they are only 6 games back).

Umm if they wanted to stay in the Wildcard race don't you think Lee would be a good outfielder to have?

Well if you could get a very good reliever, a prospect, a guy with potential, and an OF in Mench who is extremely similar to Lee (.020 difference in career OPS), for only Cruz and 2 months of Carlos...wouldn't you do it? Making this trade actually makes the Brewers a better team all around IMO.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:57 pm

Wow at using OPS to compare Lee and Mench

If I'am not mistaken doesnt Craig Wilson have a higher OPS than Lee??
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby byfrcp » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:58 pm

mweir145 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Well if you could get a very good reliever, a prospect, a guy with potential, and an OF in Mench who is extremely similar to Lee (.020 difference in career OPS), for only Cruz and 2 months of Carlos...wouldn't you do it? Making this trade actually makes the Brewers a better team all around IMO.

Everything I've read seems to think that Cruz will be a better player than both Mench and Nix. I think they didn't shop him enough in my opinion, he was officially put on the trading block today, and it seems like the Brewers took the first offer that they got.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)

Postby hookem2003 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:59 pm

I definitely think the Rangers will try to sign Lee. In fact, Buck was just on sports radio here in Dallas and mentioned it. The Rangers have $20 MM + coming free this off-season.

FYI, Buck also said the Cruz will start TOMORROW. So Texas got two corner OF's for that package? :-B ;-D :-D [/quote]
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Nah, the Brewers are out of it. Moving Lee was a rebuilding move to strengthen thier team for the future. Even without Cruz, they still have Hart to move into the lineup if Mench goes. Also, Cordero's contract isn't that bad with a 5 Million Club Option for 2007.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:02 pm

byfrcp wrote: I think they didn't shop him enough in my opinion, he was officially put on the trading block today, and it seems like the Brewers took the first offer that they got.

Just because he was "officially" put on the block today doesn't mean they haven't been talking with other teams before today.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers