Return to Baseball Leftovers

CARLOS LEE TO RANGERS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby byfrcp » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:08 pm

mak1277 wrote:
byfrcp wrote: I think they didn't shop him enough in my opinion, he was officially put on the trading block today, and it seems like the Brewers took the first offer that they got.

Just because he was "officially" put on the block today doesn't mean they haven't been talking with other teams before today.

But are you honestly telling me that other teams didn't offer better than this? For what it's worth Lee might be a better FA pickup than Soriano. I find it hard to believe that they recieved anything better than this and turned it down, knowing what teams are offering for Soriano.
byfrcp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:19 pm

byfrcp wrote:
mak1277 wrote:
byfrcp wrote: I think they didn't shop him enough in my opinion, he was officially put on the trading block today, and it seems like the Brewers took the first offer that they got.

Just because he was "officially" put on the block today doesn't mean they haven't been talking with other teams before today.

But are you honestly telling me that other teams didn't offer better than this? For what it's worth Lee might be a better FA pickup than Soriano. I find it hard to believe that they recieved anything better than this and turned it down, knowing what teams are offering for Soriano.

What are teams offering for Soriano? I haven't heard a single rumor that was solid enough to believe.

I like this deal for the Brewers, especially if they can flip Mench for something else.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:22 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:Wow at using OPS to compare Lee and Mench

If I'am not mistaken doesnt Craig Wilson have a higher OPS than Lee??

Well could you give me a better way to compare them? HRs and RBIs (especially) really don't tell the whole story. RBIs are based on how good the hitters are in front of you.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:24 pm

byfrcp wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
mak1277 wrote:I have to believe Mench will get flipped before the deadline. I am reasonably certain that he's a free agent after this year also (I haven't confirmed this though).

He is...but by trading for him this may just be the Brewers' attempt to stay in the wild card race (they are only 6 games back).

Umm if they wanted to stay in the Wildcard race don't you think Lee would be a good outfielder to have?

Well if you could get a very good reliever, a prospect, a guy with potential, and an OF in Mench who is extremely similar to Lee (.020 difference in career OPS), for only Cruz and 2 months of Carlos...wouldn't you do it? Making this trade actually makes the Brewers a better team all around IMO.

Everything I've read seems to think that Cruz will be a better player than both Mench and Nix. I think they didn't shop him enough in my opinion, he was officially put on the trading block today, and it seems like the Brewers took the first offer that they got.

Exactly...they traded one of their better prospects in this deal. That alone makes me think they aren't sellers right now.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:24 pm

mweir145 wrote:

Well could you give me a better way to compare them? HRs and RBIs (especially) really don't tell the whole story. RBIs are based on how good the hitters are in front of you.

The hitters infront of Mench are better than the hitters infront of Lee :-?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby cakewalk5 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:26 pm

All I know is...

The team with Carlos in my NL-only roto league won't be breathing down my neck now for my hitting category points!! }:-) ;-D
cakewalk5
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:29 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

The hitters infront of Mench are better than the hitters infront of Lee :-?

Are you even going to answer the question? I asked you whether there was something better to compare the two of them.

The difference in RBI totals could also be accounted for by the fact that Carlos Lee has been a cleanup hitter primarily in his career, and Kevin Mench has been in the 6 spot. There's obviously going to be a huge difference in RBIs when that happens.

And I wasn't just talking about this year, I was talking about their careers. Lee has been a much better hitter than Mench this year, nobody is disputing that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:34 pm

cakewalk5 wrote:All I know is...

The team with Carlos in my NL-only roto league won't be breathing down my neck now for my hitting category points!! }:-) ;-D

Yep, the Lee owner in my NL-only is currently in fourth. He sent me an email this morning saying he had moved from "buyer" to "seller" for the rest of the year ;-D
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:01 pm

Who wins in this trade really rests on the bat and arm of Laynce Nix and Cordero. If Nix discovers how to make his bat connect with the ball , and Cordero shows that his bad year so far has been an abberation, I think a clear win for the Brewers. Sure they had to give up Lee (who they weren't going to keep) and Cruz (who hasn't proven much at the ML level yet), but I still think it's a good deal. A Milwaukee line-up consisting of Weeks, Fielder, Jenkins, Mench is very competitive and relatively cheap.
Last edited by RAmst23 on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Brew Crew » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:12 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Who wins in this trade really rests on the bat and arm of Laynce Nix and Cordero. If Nix discovers how to make his bat connect with the ball , and Cordero shows that his bad year so far has been an abberation, I think a clear win for the Brewers. Sure they had to give up Lee (who they weren't going to keep) and Corey Hart (who hasn't proven much at the ML level yet), but I still think it's a good deal. A Milwaukee line-up consisting of Weeks, Fielder, Jenkins, Mench is very competitive and relatively cheap.

Cruz was in the trade not Hart. Hart is still a Brewer.
Brew Crew
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers